Water not draining

rhysaccess

Water pooling1.jpg Howdy all,

For some time I've been undertaking the unpleasant task of cleaning the floor/bilge of the hull.

While water typically drains between frames and areas - it seems to pool in the central area foreward of the rear seat. There are penetrations there of course for the gear change rods and heater hoses - but these are around 10mm or so from the floor surface....therefore water pools under these holes.

Is it as simple as just drilling another hole or two flush to the floor surface........or am I missing something here?

Thanks & regards,

Rhys

Craig Parada

Craig Parada
Wow! Two beautiful bilges! Bilge cleaning is the nastiest part of Amphicar restoration projects.
Yeah, those little offset openings in the vertical bulkheads around the stamped ridges in the floor panel ARE the drain holes. My early chassis had some really offset openings that had to be cleaned out to work, but no big changes. They should all be open to allow water to migrate front to back, but should not be large, because they should also (warning: unavaoidable pun) dampen water movement. Water is heavy, so rapid sloshing would not be helpful in many situations. It could be a stamping or assembly welding problem, but I assume this marine practice was Hans Trippel's intent.

rhysaccess

Thanks again for all the information.

The photo was not actually of my a car - but a file photo used for illustration purposes. My floor is in remarkable original condition (which I am proud of)....but the original owner has covered the floor in a oil/tar mixture which I am still cleaning.

I'll be back home from travelling tomorrow - I'm looking foreward to inspecting the ribs....hopefully to find the slits covered.

Cheers,
Rhys