US Vendors With Triumph Herlad Parts?

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
As Ken notes, proper toe-in is a key consideration.
When I first got my Amphi, driving at speed was downright terrifying.* I recall thinking that if this is the way an Amphicar handles, I am going to get rid of it before I put anyone's life at risk.* I switched to radial tires but that did not help much.* Tried a bunch of other things, it was still bad.* Finally, checked the toe-in using a ruler and a string (thanks Billy Syx).* Once the toe was set correctly she suddenly drove like a normal car.

amphi_sc

As Ken notes, proper toe-in is a key consideration.
When I first got my Amphi, driving at speed was downright terrifying.* ....Finally, checked the toe-in using a ruler and a string.... suddenly drove like a normal car.

A little subject creep here but following up on Mike's comment. I'll second that it is real easy to check toe-in and it makes a big difference on any vehicle. Reminds me of picking up my son's Jeep Wrangler when his transmission went out... and I said I'd rebuild the tranny for him as it was DOA. Got the jeep all back together and went down the road 1/2 mile before heading back home ... very slowly... Jeep was all over the road, tires and steering wheel shimmying and bouncing very violently. Checked tow in with tape measure... way off. Guess he had done too much offroading and knocked it way out of alignment. ... so set it via tape measure method... and lo and behold... it could drive down the road > 15 MPH and stay between the white lines. :027: When my son came to pick up his now fixed jeep, he said wow!!.. it drove better than it ever had! Not sure how he originally drove it the way it was...but I guess it just progressively got worse and worse as he used it offroad. Kinda like boiling a frog in water. So I showed him how to quickly check/set it after offroading... Moral of the story... toe-in, bearings, bushings, tie-rod ends. tire pressure and tire condition, etc... all work together and all will affect the overall handling.