Tool pouch contents

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
This original kit is missing the wood handle screw driver.

Attachments

• DSCN3422.JPG
    DSCN3422.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN3423.JPG
    DSCN3423.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 36

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
You can make a good fake kit from old VWs kits.

Attachments

• DSCN3424.JPG
    DSCN3424.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN3425.JPG
    DSCN3425.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 33

strandweiss62

Where can I get such a simple square wrench for the oil drain plug?
What i have is a wrench custom made on a lathe.

Peter

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I may have one back home in Ontario but,
The oil drain square head drain plug should be swapped out for a Brass,3/8 pipe thread drain plug with a allen inside, head in it.Then when you go to change the oil. you insert a tube threw hole against oil pan, put allan wrench in and remove plug threw tube, oil follows it out into your drain pan, not in bildge.
I stock the special"POLYGON HEAD WRENCH" for the XZN bolts that hold the prop shafts on the trany, exact look as ones in original kits. Every car owner should have this tool. there $18.00
Pic below is of a new tool kit I stock.It is of VW type and with shipping cost me $48.00.Screw driver have wooden handles.100_2699.JPG100_2698.JPG

Akamphi

Thanks for all the input and photos guys! I have the Allen star wrench for the prop shafts and a few VW tools in my tool box. Going to make up my own I think...

I bought my car partially in boxes and have the larger cylinderical tool. I did not know for years that it was part of the tool kit. That is a benefit of the club and group to have access to information. Nice kit.

jfriese

Those bolts that hold the prop shafts to the tranny aren't torx type. I believe they are an older style thing called "castle" drive. Such wrenches are still available but not too common.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Craig Parada

Craig Parada
Right, John! It took a while wandering through "double-hex" and "splines" and to find what was going on, but a Porsche person helped me out. They are ""Triple Square" type; maybe we should have known on a Trippel designed vehicle... Triple-square drives to fit your wrench set are available from good tool stores.

Per Wikipedia, which lists an amazing array of screw drives for all of us trivia buffs:
The triple square, also known as XZN, is a type of screw drive with 12 equally spaced tips, each with a 90 degree angle. Its name derives from overlaying 3 equal squares to form such a pattern with 12 right-angled tips. Common sizes are 6, 8, 10, and 12 mm. Triple square drives are used in high torque applications, such as cylinder head bolts and drive train components. Triple square fasteners are commonly found on German vehicles such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Volkswagen.

That they are used by that group of car-makers assured me this was the right track!

Craig Parada
1964 Light-Blue Berlin-assembled with plenty of patina

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
go back up to my post and again I quote which is right on the tool box
Polygon Head Wrench for XZN screws...8 XZN....Chrome Vanadium Burnished tool $18.00

so it looks like 2 different places name same bolt type 2 different names... mine must be Canadian eh?

I have stocked this tool for over 10 years now

stock of the original bolts is getting very low now.

Come to my swin in open house June 28th 2014.