early hermes #483 fill plug

egypt garage

we're back working on a couple amphicars and the 1964 with hermes #483 m61 doesn't appear to have a fill hole for the gear oil. what? how do you fill?
thanks for your help

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
The land transmission has two drain plugs, one under the transmission portion (hard to get at with transaxle in car), the other under the ring gear facing towards the engine. The fill plug for both the transmission and differential is even with, and in front of, the driveshaft opening on the flat side plate.

The water transmission drain plug is on the front of the water case just to the left of the fwd/rev selector hinge casting. The fill plug is a few inches above the drain plug.

Either fill through those fill plug openings or from the top vent caps until new transmission fluid flows from the fill plug openings.

egypt garage

The land transmission has two drain plugs, one under the transmission portion (hard to get at with transaxle in car), the other under the ring gear facing towards the engine. The fill plug for both the transmission and differential is even with, and in front of, the driveshaft opening on the flat side plate.

The water transmission drain plug is on the front of the water case just to the left of the fwd/rev selector hinge casting. The fill plug is a few inches above the drain plug.

Either fill through those fill plug openings or from the top vent caps until new transmission fluid flows from the fill plug openings.

egypt garage

thanks ken. whats really odd is that I have 3 land tranny's and only two have the vent. this one does not. why?
it is a matching number land/water tranny

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
I've only heard that the early transaxles did not have the vents but haven't seen them. Gordons could probably provide the history here. Anyone else know the top vent(s) story?

Jon March

I just reinstalled the transmission, and im getting a slight weep/leak from the drain plug under the transmission - and i havent even filled the transmission yet, so with the weight of heat-thinned and more fluid above it, it can only increase when running. I realize that leaks are an accepted part of the Amphicar experience, but having repainted the floor pan and redone the trans & engine, i WOULD like to at least achieve "minimum" leakage. That said, on more modern cars, it is quite common to have a fresh crush-washer to help seal from drips - but there is no "shoulder" on the (or at leat my) stock drain plug at the bottom - so im wondering if anyone has addressed this by finding a bottom drainplug with a "shoulder" that a crush washer would nicely seal it in that bitch of a location? Looks like a pretty smooth surface on the transmission where the washer would seat. Anyone know the size and thread pitch of this drain so i can call McMasterCarr?

or maybe just a couple inches of teflon tape?!

Screen shot 2017-07-22 at 6.29.04 PM.png