Dual Circuit Brake Conversion

LSolheim

Has anyone looked into using a late model VW Transporter master cylinder (or other) to convert the single circuit Amphicar brake system to a Front/Rear dual circuit system?

--Larry

PeterP

I actually talked to a gentleman at Tilton about converting the car to dual master cylinders. Their online calculator assumes disc brakes, so it's tough to find the proper size, and I was unsure of the displacement of the original master cylinder. After looking at the mount point, I think it could be done, but there would certainly be some fabrication to make everything fit nice.

I'm sure someone who knows the car better than me could make a decent recommendation.

Tilton Engineering

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
> Has anyone looked into using a late model VW Transporter master cylinder
> (or other) to convert the single circuit Amphicar brake system to a
> Front/Rear dual circuit system?

Yes, it's been done a few times but certainly in Europe it would be ilegal
to split front/back, you have to do it diagonally so quite a lot of new pipe
work is needed.

David C

gzink

David,
None of our U.S. cars do the diagonal. All of ours are front in one chamber and back in other so I would appreciate your posting if you know a vehicle with dual chamber that has been used and will work
Greg Z.

--- On Wed, 8/27/08, DavidC <> wrote:

> From: DavidC <>
> Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20134] Dual Circuit Brake Conversion
> To: g_zink_us@yahoo.com
> Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 10:37 AM
> Quote:
>
>
>
>
> > Has anyone looked into using a late model VW
> Transporter master cylinder
> > (or other) to convert the single circuit Amphicar
> brake system to a
> > Front/Rear dual circuit system?
>
>
>
>
> Yes, it's been done a few times but certainly in Europe
> it would be ilegal
> to split front/back, you have to do it diagonally so quite
> a lot of new pipe
> work is needed.
>
> David C
>
>
>

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Greg,

Most VW bugs, buses and transporters in Europe used dual circuit brakes from about 1965, a development of a system that was near identical to Amphicar. I'm sure they were only ever diagonal - that's the design at least one of the German Amphicar owners fitted.

Google vw dual circuit and there are loads of articles.

It is probably pretty easy to have dual circuit front and back as the original brake lines should fit and would certainly be better than no brakes at all but not as good as diagonal - however I've never seen hydraulic brakes split front and back - but then I've never worked on American cars !

The Chris Longhurst article on brakes is a great resource to learn more but it's really European with only a few words changed to American.

http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html

David C
----- Original Message -----
To: david@manbus.com
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:17 AM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20134] Dual Circuit Brake Conversion

David,
None of our U.S. cars do the diagonal. All of ours are front in one chamber and back in other so I would appreciate your posting if you know a vehicle with dual chamber that has been used and will work
Greg Z.

Quote:
> Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20134] Dual Circuit Brake Conversion
> Quote:
>
>
>
>
> brake system to a
>
>
>
>
> it would be ilegal
> a lot of new pipe
> work is needed.
>
> David C
>
>
>

Mike in N.H.

Dave, I converted my amphi to dual circut brakes by accident. I asked the local foreign auto parts store to order me a master cylinder using the part number posted on the club website parts interchange list. They told me that the dual circut master cylinder that they gave me was the 'superceded' part. It bolted up perfectly. I had to buy two 6" brake lines with couplings and another(dual) fluid reservoir to make it work. Front brakes on one circut ,rears on other. I use silicone fluid. I've lost my brakes completely twice, once when a rear metal brake line split and once when the original master cylinder blew out. Thrill ride. With this dual setup, at least I have a second chance. I tore the part number off of the new cylinder box to save it, but have since lost the number. .sorry. Best Regards, Mike in N.H.
Greg,
Most VW bugs, buses and transporters in Europe used dual circuit brakes from about 1965, a development of a system that was near identical to Amphicar. I'm sure they were only ever diagonal - that's the design at least one of the German Amphicar owners fitted.

Google vw dual circuit and there are loads of articles.

It is probably pretty easy to have dual circuit front and back as the original brake lines should fit and would certainly be better than no brakes at all but not as good as diagonal - however I've never seen hydraulic brakes split front and back - but then I've never worked on American cars !

The Chris Longhurst article on brakes is a great resource to learn more but it's really European with only a few words changed to American.

Car Bibles : The Brake Bible

David C
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:17 AM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20134] Dual Circuit Brake Conversion

David,
Greg Z.

Quote:
> Quote:
>
>
>
>
> brake system to a
>
>
>
>
> it would be ilegal
> a lot of new pipe
> work is needed.
>
> David C
>
>
>[/quote]

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Here is a link to a forum where they have converted an early VW Bus single brake circuit to a later model dual brake circuit. Two choices of master cylinders and even an adapter available for the 1971 VW Bus Dual Master Cylinder. Interesting if nothing else.
Ted
67 Brake Master Cylinder Retrofit

gzink

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Ted. Have lost all brakes twice due to 1 wheel cylinder problem so loss of all fluid. Car and my wife are too valuable so I want to make sure I have at least 1/2 brakes.
Greg

--- On Sun, 8/31/08, Tedredamphi <> wrote:

> From: Tedredamphi <>
> Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20134] Re: Dual Circuit Brake Conversion
> Date: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 2:31 AM
> Here is a link to a forum where they have converted an early
> VW Bus single brake circuit to a later model dual brake
> circuit. Two choices of master cylinders and even an adapter
> available for the 1971 VW Bus Dual Master Cylinder.
> Interesting if nothing else.
> Ted
> 67 Brake Master Cylinder Retrofit
>
>
>

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Be aware guys you shouldn't leave the reservior mounted on top of the master cylinder, in the Amphicar it's mounted lower than in the VWs and so if you don't bring it up to the normal Amphicar place I'm told you can get airlocks in the pipes.

David C

Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:52 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20134] Re: Dual Circuit Brake Conversion

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Ted. Have lost all brakes twice due to 1 wheel cylinder problem so loss of all fluid. Car and my wife are too valuable so I want to make sure I have at least 1/2 brakes.
Greg

--- On Sun, 8/31/08, Tedredamphi <> wrote:

Quote:
> From: Tedredamphi <>
> Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20134] Re: Dual Circuit Brake Conversion
> Date: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 2:31 AM
> Here is a link to a forum where they have converted an early
> VW Bus single brake circuit to a later model dual brake
> circuit. Two choices of master cylinders and even an adapter
> available for the 1971 VW Bus Dual Master Cylinder.
> Interesting if nothing else.
> Ted
> 67 Brake Master Cylinder Retrofit
>
>
>