Windshield Wipers

tpls63

I called and emailed and called and emailed again that guy at wiperman.com from which you get the 48 Merc/Ford wipers to modify to fit Amphi's with no response so I finally took the wipers off my '55 Metropolitan convertible and made a bushing to fit the Amphi post, drilled and tapped a set screw and voila! Wipers that look good and work. They're a little shorter than they should be but the work good. If anyone wants to try it let me know and I'll explain it in detail.
The wipers are readily available from any Met parts supplier and you don't need to buy the grommets just the arms and blade and you can get the 10" blades.
http://www.metropolitan-restoration-service.com/assets/Uploads/MRS_Catalog_2010.pdf
Page 27 - $80.00 plus shipping.

Attachments

• Dsc06262m.jpg
    Dsc06262m.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 50
R

Ron Green

Tom,

I just spoke to the wiperman (Fickens) and he apologizes as lately a few things have fell through the cracks as he stated. This is a busy time of year for him and he is a one man operation, plus he attends a few shows to vend.

He does stock these and said that a call is better than an email for him. Here is the article that ran in the newsletter way back when. Note: I am out of the adaptors:

Finally a reproduction wiper arm and blade combination that is readily available, looks presentable and actually works. As we all know locating NOS or good used wipers is becoming impossible to find yet affordable. I have been experimenting and using for over 3 years reproduction replacements that have been trouble free. For a little under $100 and a little polishing you can have two (2) new set ups.

Call Rob from Ficken Wiper Service (NY) at 631-587-3332 (WiperMan.COM - Wipers, Wipers, Wipers) and ask for two (2) wrist action type passenger wiper arms for a 1948 Mercury / Ford that fit a 20-11 wiper blade of which you will also need two (2). Both the arm and blade are stainless steel with the arms already factory polished to chrome like finish. The blades are dull stainless (gray/silver) and will need taken apart (easy) to be polished to match the arms. I used Eastwood’s white rouge compound and did a pass with a Dremel 414, 429 and a 423E polishing wheel respectively, though other materials and wheels should work. Each blade took approximately a little over an hour to polish and reassemble.

The only part I have not found (as of yet) that is required is the adaptor that fits onto the existing Amphi wiper linkage shaft. This allows the connection of the new style arms. The adaptor has two (2) allen set screws that lock the new arm(s) onto the shaft. These adaptors can typically be found at antique automotive swap meets however you will need to drill them out to 15/64 to fit the shaft. Recommend filing any burrs off the existing shafts and polishing with a small wire wheel which Dremel also has. I do have some of these adaptors and a box of the special set screws.

After installing the adaptor to the shaft you may need to adjust / move the new arms several times to get them in the perfect park position on the windshield. When doing these adjustments use a spray bottle of water for accurate results, do not operate wipers on the windshield dry! Imagine being able to use your wipers knowing that they actually work and blade refills are available. Happy wiping!

tpls63

I found your original posting in the Archives after I contacted you Ron. Like I said, I tried everything with no response and I suppose I must have been calling when he was away at swap meets etc.

Anyway, because I needed wipers, as I was disassembling my '55 Met for restoration and removed the wipers I thought "HMMMMM...." and after I verified that I could get replacements for my Met it took very little effort and NO polishing to make them fit the Amphicar. Instead of having 11" wipers you would get from the wiperman you will have 10" and all for less $$ and less effort.

It gives everyone a second option which is always good.

Attachments

• Dsc06263m.jpg
    Dsc06263m.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 46

tpls63

Ron,
As I mentioned, I called and emailed with no response over about a three week period. I suppose I caught him when he was busy with swap meets or shows.
Anyway I had begun disassembling my 1955 Metropolitan for restoration and as I remove the wipers and had them in my hand I thought 'Hmmmm...'

and I began looking closely and determined how easy the conversion would be so I proceeded. I used the original 8" wiper blades but will replace them with the newly available 10" blades which are only an inch shorter than the Amphi blades and won't even be noticeable.

I think the conversion is easier than the wiperman blades would be as you don't have to do the polishing and hunting for the bushings as a 7/17-20X1" bolt will bush both of the Met arms. They screw right in in place of the original Met bushings and you only need to drill the 17/64" hole in the center and after they're installed in the arm they need to be drilled and tapped for the set screw which is very easy and I think they're less expensive than the wiperman blades.

Anyway, it gives Amphibians another option that is readily available which is a good thing.

Attachments

• Dsc06263m.jpg
    Dsc06263m.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40
R

Ron Green

Tom, the more options the better for sure. I would like to see a picture of these. I see you have (and have had for quite a while) an attachment pending. Possibly a wiper picture?

R

Ron Green

Options are good for sure. If possible post a picture of your set up. Hopefully some day a reproduction to the amphi original will be available. I am sure it would be a good seller.

tpls63

I don't know why the pictures I posted aren't showing. I'll write to Mike and find out. They look good on the car and work fine. I have the shorter 8" but am replacing with the 10" soon.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
My marine supplyer has the ends for the wiper arms, # 103-33008 they even come with the allen wrench. about $10 set
also they have arms with a side nut, do not need the adapter I got 2 and fit them on Herbs car so I know they work.But I cant find a part # in book, I see a picture with full kit but not by self.will have to go and Ask