Taller gear possibility?

Jon March

Has anyone every tried to find (356?) ...or make...a differently-cut 3rd or 4th gear, to make driving fast a bit less noisy?

jfriese

You might try doing what I do here in California, change the water pump to one for a 1500 engine. It has a larger pulley which slows the fan down somewhat and greatly reduces the noise. Most of the noise is caused by cavitation of the air by a fan rotating beyond 2500 RPM. I researched this a lot and found that it barely makes any change to the cooling of the engine. When Detroit was using fan clutches they designed them to essentially free wheel when the engine was cold but also to limit the high speed of the fan to about 2500 RPM. Beyond that they lose their cooling ability and increase the noise a lot. You also have to increase your V belt a bit to cover the larger pump/fan pulley.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

Indeed, I have done your very suggestion! And I run cool too.
Nonetheless, its is the overall RPM's I would like to reduce as I drive along the hi way - just more that I care for , even at 40 or 50 - I like a nice "overdrive" 1200-1500 rpms!

Anyone ever try a different tranny gear for 4th, I wonder?

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Cost to have 2 gears made for 1 trany to test would be prohibitive, but even with the gearing that's in it I have to shift down on any bigger hill.
I keep reaching for 5th gear all the time.. Someone must have taken it out it!

Jon March

yup, ! I keep wanting that 5th gear!
That’s why I was wondering if a taller one could be cut as a replacement... I heard somewhere that the transmission in these cars is based on a Porsche 356… Is there any truth in that? -maybe there are already gears available To replace 4th with a taller cut?

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried removing the fan all together and installing an electric fan on top of the radiator? It would make the car much more pleasurable to drive without all that noise! Yes, a 5th gear would be nice!

Jon March

Im pretty sure its been tried.
I think the answer is that in order to get the same flow, the fan is even louder, being mounted up right at the grilles.

A fifth gear would be so great. Meantime, Im gonna see if I can try to find a taller 4th gear cut...Maybe a 3rd and 4th?...

Last edited:

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Working on reverse flow cooling on my car in Fl. Disney cars all do this but they do not go down the highways,
So far works good with hood off but temp rises with reverse hood on, Think I need bigger lover openings but boy is it Sooooooooooooo much quieter!

Clearances in trany may not permit different size gears,
Trany is close to other VW products but not the same, Its a 1 of TRANY.