Rear Hub Removal

Rear Hub Removal

I have been unable to remove the rear wheel hubs on the car. As you can see in the photo, below, I’m using a substantial hub puller and penetrating oil. I’ve hit the lever arm on the puller hard, with a 5-pound hammer. It’s not budging. I’m concerned about continuing to pound, since I don’t want to damage the gears in the transmission, or any of the rear suspension components (I hope I haven’t already). I’ve searched the posts on this forum and Facebook for advice, which has been helpful, but still no progress on my part. I have not tried my large slide hammer, as it seems like it could cause damage. Any tips would be appreciated.

If I don’t get the hubs off, my next plan of attack is to remove the outside u-joint, then remove the hub, brake assembly, oscillating arm, and rear axle tube as a complete assembly. At that point, I could remove the drive shaft to replace the drive boot, and barrel bellows, and, most importantly, be able to remove the engine from the car.

Again, any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3935.jpg
    IMG_3935.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 19

Wyofloater

I just did this and show pictures on FB. I got one side loose with a small hammer like that. Plus heat. Plus cold.
Other side resisted. Put a good bind on it with the puller. Full weight sledge... be sure you have nut on axle to prevent swelling.

I just did this and show pictures on FB. I got one side loose with a small hammer like that. Plus heat. Plus cold.
Other side resisted. Put a good bind on it with the puller. Full weight sledge... be sure you have nut on axle to prevent swelling.
I would love to see your photos. I'm not finding them. Which FB page? Thanks, Doug

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
You’re doing the right thing with that substantial puller and sledge. Those tapered shafts can be difficult to break free. Agree with leaving the axle nut in place to protect the threads to tighten that puller really tight. Careful application of heat with an oxy torch to expand the hub helps. My puller has a hex nut on it to use a socket and breaker bar. I would rig up a bar on yours so you’re not having to beat on it to apply force. And counter torque it so you’re not putting force on the gears. You’ll get it.

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
You need to bolt a plate on first. And attach puller to it. I don't have a picture to post here. I did post a pic on Facebook.

Thanks for all of the advice. Very helpful. I put a medium-sized impact gun on the hub puller, and it's off! Amazingly, the other side popped right off with very little effort. Again, thanks. Doug