Amphicar - Servicing Rear Brakes without removing hubs and tip for attaching springs

DougFromBaltimore

I’ve been rebuilding the brake system on my 1964 Amphicar, with rebuilt brake shoes, wheel cylinders, and master cylinder, and new flex and hard lines. A challenge was removing and refitting the shoes and springs, especially in the rear. The manual, and many posts, suggest removing the hubs. The front hubs come right off, and it’s a good time to check, clean, and repack the bearings. The rear hub requires a substantial wheel puller. But I came up with a very easy method to replace the rear shoes without removing the hubs. I haven’t seen this described before, so perhaps this will be helpful to others.

To easily remove and reinstall brake shoes in the back, take out the wheel cylinder. I was rebuilding my wheel cylinders – so removal and bleeding the lines was a part of my process. With the wheel cylinder still in place, I had no difficulty popping off the ends of the springs, and removing the metal tabs on the bottom of the brake shoes from the wheel cylinder. I was careful, and did not damage the rubber dust caps. With the tabs out, the wheel cylinder can snake out the bottom. Then pop off the springs, and all the pieces come loose. When reassembling, having the wheel cylinder out provides room and slack to reattach the e-brake cable to the rear shoe, install the lever plate, and reattach the springs. It is still a time-consuming process, with a lot of fiddling to get everything attached and lined up.

A tip on reattaching the spring – rear or front wheels. Insert the hooks at the end of the springs into their holes in the shoes. As you do them, one by one, clip a small vice-grip on to the end so that it does not slip out. This makes it easy to keep everything attached and in position as you get the metal tabs on the shoes into the wheel cylinders, and the opposite ends levered into their slots. See the photo below. It’s a good excuse to purchase four inexpensive small vice-grips, if you don’t have them. I also used a brake spring screwdriver, with some notches that help to guide the ends of the spring into their slots (photos, below).

Another tip – I made a spreader to push the shoes apart at key times during installation of the new shoes. I used an inexpensive Harbor Freight clamp, and turned around the ends so they would push, instead of clamp. It was helpful. See the attached photo.IMG_3149.jpgIMG_3152.jpgIMG_3153.jpgIMG_3154.jpg

Doug,

Sounds like necessity was the mother of invention for you!

I did my rear brakes this spring also and did many of the things you describe above including NOT removing the hub.
Removing the wheel cylinder does indeed give room to install the shoes with one spring attached, then to maneuver the second one in place.

I like the small vise grip tip as those buggers can come out when you are fiddling. I had a crude piece of pointy wood I used as a spacer to hold things in place. It is funny that you can fiddle and work for an hour without making progress, walk away and come back and it falls into place.

Great post!

Mark

DougFromBaltimore

Thanks, Mark. Yes, I had the same experience. One set of shoes would go right into place. The next required fiddling, then suddenly it was done.

New shoes, turned brake drums, new master cylinder, and new wheel cylinders - and the brakes still require a bit of pre-stop planning.... If I could only fit 4-wheel disc, power, with ABS.....

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
I hate drum brakes.

Someone did create a disc brake set up for Amphi many years. I think, not certain, that they offered some for sale It was a very expensive setup as I recall.

Doug,

Check your front backing plates to make sure they are not reversed. That was my issue and the reason I started the job. As I dug in I found other issues and parts to replace. You can find all that in other threads.
Now I have decent brakes for the first time!
Bleed those cylinders, adjust the brake shoes once installed and you should be able to stop.

Not sure who had the disc set up but I remember something about that. Dave the wave may have been involved, but not sure.

LSolheim

Doug,

Check your front backing plates to make sure they are not reversed. That was my issue and the reason I started the job. As I dug in I found other issues and parts to replace. You can find all that in other threads.
Now I have decent brakes for the first time!
Bleed those cylinders, adjust the brake shoes once installed and you should be able to stop.

Not sure who had the disc set up but I remember something about that. Dave the wave may have been involved, but not sure.
See THIS post from 2006

Forgot to mention I used Gord's special linings on the front.
Here is an old post about them from him.
He was reacting to a comment about disc brake conversions.

May 14, 2008
Sam in Midwest has a real nice set up on his white Amhi..
they work geart but cost is very high,
When I was in Fl, I had Dan Borgman riding with me and after crossing a large lake, we started talking about poor amphi brakes afer we came out. I warned Dan to hold on and Aplied my brakes..(we were on a paved road with no traffic at 45 mph)
After leaveing a a fair amout of black rubber on the road Dan said I want to order a set of my special linnings.
get all your wheel clys working good, and order a full set of my special Hummer type millatary linnings you will have brakes that work good even when wet! Original linning just dont cut(STOP )it.
they cost $300. for a full set exchange.
I have 3 sets in stock right now!
Gord
Canadian 4 Amphs.

GORD
CANADIAN AMPHICARS:dft012:Canada's Largest supplyer of Amphicar parts,interiors,and full repair service.
Orillia , Ontario Canada (www.amphicar.ca)

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
I suspect the hummer lining is harsher on the drums but, for most owners, land use is infrequent enough that it probably does not matter from a practical perspective. I have Gord's pads along with wheel cylinders sleeved in stainless or brass (I forget which). Stops great after many years.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
This material is very soft and will wear out Quicker than Originals(BTW.. I do have some NOS originals)
Will not hurt the drums. Did Herbs car over in 2010,,, he is ready for another set , but HE DRIVES HIS CAR' A LOT!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 1967 Amphicar Tub Toy Restorations in progress 3
S Rear Amphicar Shocks w/Small Diameter Spring - Rear Spring Specs? General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel The only car I consider to be way cooler than the Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Parting ways with my 64 Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 0
AmazingOne Restored 1964 Amphicar for sale General Amphicar Discussion 0
chapron67 Wanted to buy: Nice, useable Amphicar. General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel Annual costs of maintaining an Amphicar (Forum) ... General Amphicar Discussion 10
Jon March lot #012 - The next big Amphicar auction: end of This week! - lot #012 General Amphicar Discussion 4
strandweiss62 RHD Amphicar sold at Mecum General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Amphicar with Buick V6! General Amphicar Discussion 4
DavidC Amphicar club gift. General Amphicar Discussion 3
Andreas Gomoll „The Uganda-Amphicar“ - Brakeparts needed... General Amphicar Discussion 0
Latitude33 Amphicar cover General Amphicar Discussion 4
Andreas Gomoll ... my Amphicar has some specials.... Restorations in progress 2
B Amphicar Tow Bar General Amphicar Discussion 0
DavidC Anyone interested in the ultimate Amphicar muffler project ? General Amphicar Discussion 9
B Celina Amphicar Record General Amphicar Discussion 3
T Amphicar Furniture General Amphicar Discussion 6
mike_israel Amphicar Hawaiian Shirts - Order Deadline Approaching General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March the 3 different Amphicar factory driveshafts General Amphicar Discussion 2
W Having trouble finding outer boots for my Amphicar with Eddie Dillard rear axles. General Amphicar Discussion 12
sdreich Amphicar Transmissions General Amphicar Discussion 12
L long distance moves for Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 6
sdreich Amphicar Hubcaps on eBay and More General Amphicar Discussion 4
LSolheim 2018 Clearlake Seaplane - Amphicar: Fly & Swim-in General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March Amphicar chase-scenes General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel New Search Engine on Amphicar Forums General Amphicar Discussion 2
jfriese More Original Amphicar Horns General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Central Florida Amphicar Swim In General Amphicar Discussion 4
E Amphicar floor General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March GREAT Amphicar footage from the hot new Northeast "Naples Swim" General Amphicar Discussion 0
scottamphi What Pertronix Fit My Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 6
Jacques B. Help needed with Amphicar Water trans gears. General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel Amphicar Forum - System Update Underway General Amphicar Discussion 1
E New Amphicar Tech General Amphicar Discussion 1
mike_israel Merry Christmas & Joy to the Amphicar World General Amphicar Discussion 1
BlueFin Scam Amphicar Ad General Amphicar Discussion 11
Jon March the ultimate Amphicar paint General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel New Amphicar Children's Book General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Amphicar on Jay Leno's Garage General Amphicar Discussion 9
mike_israel 1921 Auto-Boat: Floating along 40 years earlier than the Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Amphicar Fuses?? General Amphicar Discussion 2
Jon March Sun June 7 - "worlds fair edition" Amphicar?! General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel New Walt Disney World Restaurant Offers Amphicar Rides General Amphicar Discussion 42
mike_israel Do you think this part will fit an Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 2
dutchamphi Inspector Clouseau-Amphicar episode 1968 General Amphicar Discussion 6
auburnamphi Amphicar Owners In Georgia General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Amphicar article in Maine Magazine General Amphicar Discussion 1
E 1964 Amphicar value? General Amphicar Discussion 3
jfriese Best Amphicar Article I've Seen In Years General Amphicar Discussion 1