Radio Antenna

azpaul50

Happy new year, all! I got a radio from Blondie for Xmas that is a modern AM-FM with white buttons/knobs (actually for a VW). It isn't anything special (its from Woody's in Costa Mesa) but thought I'd go ahead and put it in after years of no music. The car has never had an antenna but did have an unconnected radio in the car for appearances. Now, I need to install an antenna and speakers. I was thinking about a Hirshmann redtip antenna (for looks) but see that if I put it in the usual right (in front) of windshield location, it or most other antennas) will interfere with the right dash defrost hose. In any case, there certainly doesn't seem to be enough room for a (power) retractable version which I'd prefer. Is it just customary to just cram the antenna in there or disconnect/remove the hose? Some antennas I've seen in picture in that location seem crooked and I'm wondering if it was simply due to the space conflict? As for speakers, I think two marine surface mount speakers would do, maybe on the rear seat base? What has been anyone's experience doing this? Juanito! You had a great setup but I don't recall where everything was positioned? I've got a show on the Colorado river next month and it would be cool to be stylin' with sound! - AZP

LSolheim

Actually, there is enough room there for a standard antenna, the cable will route easily around that defroster hose. Unfortunately, I found the same issue with a power antenna. Most want about 13" under the top of the fender and even the lowest profile I found required 9" and the well well just won't allow that. A power antenna would look really good there! --Larry

jfriese

Hello Paul,

I use a early 70's Japanese push-button, stereo AM/FM radio designed as a retrofit for early VWs. These radios have the correct shaft spacing and nose that fit the original Amphicar dash holes. They are also better radios than the German radios that most people look for. They do require a negative ground car though and that may stop some Amphicar owners from using them. They have a dial scale like all old radios and I use modified Amphicar knobs so that they look factory correct. These radios, like all old radios had limited power output because of the low voltage of cars so I use an old Alpine power booster to give the system enough punch to be heard when running down the freeways. I also used two 5x7 speakers punched into the under dash area so that nothing shows when looking at or sitting in the cars. Those were the largest speakers that would fit between the back of the glove box and the gas tank at that time but today, thanks to modern super powerful magnets, one might be able to wedge in 6 x 9" speakers. Most modern speakers use these very small magnets and still get big sound without the giant ceramic magnets of a few years ago. I use an antenna that is mounted on the front right fender and has a mast that easily unscrews when necessary. There is plenty of room for such a thing since it practically has nothing under the fender. I found these at a regular auto parts store and I'm quite certain they are still around. If anyone is really serious about doing such an installation, call me and I might be able to help you with the radio and amplifier.

Regards,

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

805-570-4778 past 2 PM

jfriese

Mike,

I use an old Creative 1 Gig player and a small stereo transmitter to do that job. Both items run on AAA batteries which I recharge at the end of a day. The nice things about that kind of battery is that you're never "out of luck" with a dead battery. You can always pick up some "emergency" power at any convenience store. The transmitter has about a 5" cord that plugs into the player and I hang both of them on the rear view mirror. Works fine.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

azpaul50

Mike - So... what route did you use to run the hidden antenna cable? More precisely, where were any new holes drilled? I really hate to new drill holes in any classic. Meanwhile, Blondie got one of Woody's polarity inverters so that should take care of that problem but something else to cram in back of the dash. Jeeez, all I want is some old Sam and Dave music! Well.... under the dash speakers.... I'll take a look! - AZP