Amphicar radio and hidden antenna option

Akamphi

I have been looking around at options for a radio and antenna in my 66 and have decided on these.

The radio I plan to use is from vintage car radio. It can me ordered without the logo seen in the link below and to fit a 56-65 Porsche 356 dash. Is that correct for the Amphicar dash? It has in input to use an Iphone so I'll have plent of music. :)

USA-630 AM/FM Stereo Vintage Car Radio .com

The antenna I plan to use is the marine hidden version at the bottom of the page. It mounts horazontally and I'm thinking about the convertable top stoage area mounted behind the seat back.

http://www.ecshylites.com/page/page/761353.htm

Now to figure out speakers... Thinking about some kind of surface mounted pod speakers so I don't have to cut holes in anything. Maybe something like this under the dash and in the rear top area...

Marine Audio Speakers - Full Range Surface Mount

chasgould

Hi Craig,
I think that it would be so much more attractive to install a period AM radio from the 1960's. There is a company on the web that will add an FM converter band to an old AM radio, and install an MP3 or digital input jack for your Ipod or IPhone. The radio can be bought for around $20.00 to $50.00, and the conversion will cost you between $100 to $200, so overall cost should be similar, but will be much more attractive in the dash.
Just my opinion.
Chas

I have been looking around at options for a radio and antenna in my 66 and have decided on these.

The radio I plan to use is from vintage car radio. It can me ordered without the logo seen in the link below and to fit a 56-65 Porsche 356 dash. Is that correct for the Amphicar dash? It has in input to use an Iphone so I'll have plent of music. :)

USA-630 AM/FM Stereo Vintage Car Radio .com

The antenna I plan to use is the marine hidden version at the bottom of the page. It mounts horazontally and I'm thinking about the convertable top stoage area mounted behind the seat back.

http://www.ecshylites.com/page/page/761353.htm

Now to figure out speakers... Thinking about some kind of surface mounted pod speakers so I don't have to cut holes in anything. Maybe something like this under the dash and in the rear top area...

Marine Audio Speakers - Full Range Surface Mount

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
I like the period correct German Blaupunkt radios like attached. I believe that Dave the Wave had one for sale. I bought mine from a restorer in Germany.
Ted

Attachments

azpaul50

Hey Craig - I've been thinking about a radio off and on for quite a while. There seems to be a consensus that there was a dealer installed AM with the word "AMphicar" on the dial face glass. I've only seen one on ebay over the past several years. Then I see Blaupunk Frankfurts in some cars. Oldtimer Radio DE in Germany has 'em for $400 - $500 as I recall. Meanwhile, I've often seen modern Frankfurt clones on eBay for less than $200 with all the bells and whistles. The guy is in Costa Mesa as I recall. Unfortunately, the buttons are black and the faceplate isn't "correct" from what I've seen. He says to paint the buttons with Molecubond but who knows how that will stick. Right now I have a "period correct" AM radio but it isn't hooked up to anything... no antenna or speakers. I keep saying I'll install a system but never get around to it with all my other junk. when the time comes, I'm opting for that clone since my car isn't all that correct to begin with. I'd also add that marine boat speakers are a must! Anyway, that's my 2 cents. - AZP of the Western Amphi Fleet, Arizona Squadron

MAE

Amphicar Expert
There was a short lived dealer installed radio with Amphicar on the faceplate. One year only 1966. Nice touch but just a postive ground Motorola AM radio. Some of the older am-fm cassettes would fit the dash hole but not many will without alterations. Those Blaupunkt radios look pretty nice but I've never tried one. Some of them are pretty expensive.

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Another option. Put in any radio that you like to look at(will not be used). Then install an amp (hidden) Put speakers wherever. Then in glove box have Ipod cable direct connect to amp. Most Mp3 players/I phones have volume control.
Or screw pretend original and put in double din with fold out 7 inch screen w/ gps and ....Later Dave the Wave