Q re: the electrical "connector rail" / barrier / connector strip

Jon March

being so near the muffler, the spade lug connectors are notorious for becoming brittle and loosening.

Wouldnt it be better to eliminate this area of chronic problem in an important safety area and positively solder all the wires together? (or is there some reason that its important to keep them un-pluggable? )
I mean, I realize the harnesses come as 2 factory fan-outs on the ends than require joining - but soldering seems like a great way to eliminate that infamous location of connections that become loose, no?

?

Screen shot 2019-01-01 at 9.58.04 PM.png

jfriese

Jon,

All of these connectors can be replaced in a single afternoon and they can be made to look perfectly original. Gordon's now sells exact replacements for the center, male part too. New connectors are not likely to fail in your lifetime so why screw up the cars originality?

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

Was just trying to think of a better way, kind of like Gords comment about deleting the fuel shutoff valve as just one more thing that can go wrong. Altho I do want to have a good working fuel shutoff, and tho i did replace about 7 or 8 spade connectores that felt even slightly loose, after intermittent contact issue i had with the primary/heaviest gauge connector at that barrier strip, I thought this might be a way to eliminate "26 things that can go wrong"! But I just ordered new brass spade connectors and will clean up the solid spadelug strips and make a go of it! THANKS!

Last edited:

jfriese

Hi,

Use 4 times heat shrink tubing. That way you can solder the new terminals to the wires and afterword slide the shrink tube pieces over the spade lugs for an original look.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

a good tip -not many know the premium shrink tube is indeed available in that agressive category.

I even think the old style German “rubberized” shrink tube is still avail, fo those that care to be that original