Q re: the electrical "connector rail" / barrier / connector strip

Discussion in 'General Amphicar Discussion' started by Jon March, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Jon March

Jon March Member

being so near the muffler, the spade lug connectors are notorious for becoming brittle and loosening.

Wouldnt it be better to eliminate this area of chronic problem in an important safety area and positively solder all the wires together? (or is there some reason that its important to keep them un-pluggable? )
    I mean, I realize the harnesses come as 2 factory fan-outs on the ends than require joining - but soldering seems like a great way to eliminate that infamous location of connections that become loose, no?

?

Screen shot 2019-01-01 at 9.58.04 PM.png

2. strandweiss62

strandweiss62 Member

No soldering on car electrification cables. Solder hardens the copper and it will no more resist vibrations.

3. jfriese

jfriese Active Member

Jon,

All of these connectors can be replaced in a single afternoon and they can be made to look perfectly original. Gordon's now sells exact replacements for the center, male part too. New connectors are not likely to fail in your lifetime so why screw up the cars originality?

John Friese
    67 White
    67 Red

4. Jon March

Jon March Member

Was just trying to think of a better way, kind of like Gords comment about deleting the fuel shutoff valve as just one more thing that can go wrong. Altho I do want to have a good working fuel shutoff, and tho i did replace about 7 or 8 spade connectores that felt even slightly loose, after intermittent contact issue i had with the primary/heaviest gauge connector at that barrier strip, I thought this might be a way to eliminate "26 things that can go wrong"! But I just ordered new brass spade connectors and will clean up the solid spadelug strips and make a go of it! THANKS!

#4 Jon March, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  5. strandweiss62

strandweiss62 Member

That is the best solution. For cleaning contacts i bought a sandblasting gun in airbrush size and use it with glass beads.

6. Jon March

Jon March Member

Well... i guess i can use a handy sanding stick for fingernails.

7. jfriese

jfriese Active Member

Hi,

Use 4 times heat shrink tubing. That way you can solder the new terminals to the wires and afterword slide the shrink tube pieces over the spade lugs for an original look.

John Friese
    67 White
    67 Red

8. Jon March

Jon March Member

a good tip -not many know the premium shrink tube is indeed available in that agressive category.

I even think the old style German “rubberized” shrink tube is still avail, fo those that care to be that original

9. strandweiss62

strandweiss62 Member

Old style german rubber tube is indeed simple tight rubber hose. A special pliers is helpful.
    Yes I am one of those who like to keep it as original as possible.;)

Kabeltuellen 800.jpg