Poll: How Do You Feel About Moving Amphicar Lovers to new Forum

How do you feel about moving the group to new forum format or stick w/ Yahoogroup

• I prefer the new forum format.

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • I prefer the Yahoogroup format.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Either is fine with me.

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
OK, here is your chance to make your voice heard.

At the moment we are piloting hosting the Amphicar-Lovers digest in this new forum. If successful, we will shut down the existing Amphicar group on Yahoo and move all of the subscribers here.

Please take some time to explore the features of the new site. Once you have done so, cast your vote.

Jackie

I had to re-register to make the new site work, and the registration is very easy ~
The site is really GREAT ! Better than GREAT !!!
You deserve a HUGE "Thank You" for all your time, and effort invloved in creating a beautiful, easy to use new site.
So ~~ THANK YOU !!!!
Jackie 1966 RED in Fairport, NY

amphiranger

Amphicar Expert
Greetings from Germany!
Very well done Mike! I really appreciate this new forum. I do understand it is a big step for most Amphicar-Lovers, but folks, you get used to the new forum very fast. The very big advantage is the search tool to find previous threads. I have saved all Amphicar-Lovers-Group emails so far, but finding past emails about special subjects is a nightmare waste of time. So I really prefer this great forum!
Thanks Mike

And Happy New Year to all of you.

René

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
I am looking forward with helping make the new site great. I am thinking about a favorite tools thread, build a door thread, etc. Later Dave the Wave

Mike in N.H.

Thanks for setting this site up Mike. Id like to click on the google ads to send $ your way , but dont see any ads.Do I need to shut off pop up blocker?

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
How about Tech, Meet & Greet, and Off Topic areas...

I think that over time we will see further breakout of sections. Since folks are accustomed to the Yahoo model of one big bucket for everything I will wait a bit before creating many sections. I may do the off-topic sooner.

mschlem

Amphicar Expert & Former IAOC President
.........Since folks are accustomed to the Yahoo model of one big bucket for everything...........

Mike,
Thanks for the work on the new site...I think we'll all grow to love it! One question I have relates to your comment above about the "big bucket for everything" style we're used to. How best can one log on to the site and find everything that is new since they last visited? If posts are added to a thread from weeks ago, it may be multiple pages away and hard to find. I see the nice little icons that tell which threads have "new posts"....and I also see the link that says "todays posts". Those somewhat fill the bill. Is there any way to find all "unread posts"? One other thing, I noticed that the icon for hot threads with new posts is the same as the one for hot threads without new posts.
Thanks again!
Marc Schlemmer.

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.

Just for you (and everyone else), look at the new "unread posts" link in the "Welcome your_name" box at the upper right of forum screens.

I'll have to look into the icon thing.

Thanks for your contribution to the forum.

Mike

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Thanks Mark,

I've not had much time to work on it but hope to get it all polished up this week. I should be trasfering the archives which will make searching much easier and more powerful. Will also be welcoming some new sponsors! Still on target for cut-over next weekend.

Cheers,

Mike

----- Original Message ----
To: mike_israel
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:32:51 PM
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-4546] RE: Poll: How Do You Feel About Moving Amphicar Lovers to new Forum

I like this new site. It has features which make staying around on line a bit longer.

Nice Job!

DField

>Is there any way to receive only one email a day, containing all the
day's mail - as we could with old system?

It would be a lot more efficient to only have to open one item a day.
keep up the good work. Dave

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
As noted in the FAQ, currently the daily digest provides only the subject lines of new posts with links to those posts. When you opt for individual email delivery you do get full text. As soon as a more robust daily digest becomes available it will be implemented.

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Hi Mike,

Struggling to work out how to post a new message to the forum. I've figured out how to reply to an existing message and that sorta works. Takes a lot longer than a Yahoo list but gets there in the end. I assume there must be a way to start a new post by email ? Is there a magic word I need to put in the subject heading ?

Cheers,

David C

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
David,

You should be able to simply post a new message to

The system checks for, and distributes new messages every ten minutes. Where lags have occured it seems to be with email process itself. In other words, at times it takes a while for the newly posted message to go from the senders email server to the email server at amphicar770.com

If you are still having trouble posting new messages, please copy one of them to me at mike_israel so I can look at the headers and figure out what is going on.

Mike

----- Original Message ----
To: mike_israel
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:45:41 PM
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-4546] RE: Poll: How Do You Feel About Moving Amphicar Lovers to new Forum

Hi Mike,

Struggling to work out how to post a new message to the forum. I've figured out how to reply to an existing message and that sorta works. Takes a lot longer than a Yahoo list but gets there in the end. I assume there must be a way to start a new post by email ? Is there a magic word I need to put in the subject heading ?

Cheers,

David C