IAOC ?

goobcarla

Dave - I thought about you last night as I was channel surfing and saw those crazy British guys!
I am curious about your comment about the club. Care to elaborate?

Gary, in Syracuse,NY. (butt deep in snow)

jfriese

There certainly is a lot less chatter than there was years ago. Snowbird and Mike are the primary contributors nowadays. I haven't chatted too much lately because the California drought has seriously put a crimp in my Amphicars usage and when they are sitting in the garage there is a lot less to talk about.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Dave and I now live and work about 5 miles apart in the Winter,
hate to say anything on chat page but...
remember the days when we use to comment on how great the newsletters were,, the amazing surprises in the mail each year.... now....-------(intentionally left blank)

I submitted many teck sessions to the club letter.. none were ever put in. lots of info on Vapour lock... I gave up.

LSolheim

You could send them to me for amphicar.com, Gord. I could even start a "tip of the month" link, particularly if there could be a continuing series . There is a real lack of new or original content coming my way.

Even old...very old "Tip of the month" , maintenance how to's, to do list for your restoration would be very helpful to the newer members. Box frame drains, rear lower 1/4 panel drains, best way to brace steering box, how to strengthen conv top frame... off the top of my head. I have been a member since '06 and am still a newbie!

LSolheim

Even old...very old "Tip of the month" , maintenance how to's, to do list for your restoration would be very helpful to the newer members. Box frame drains, rear lower 1/4 panel drains, best way to brace steering box, how to strengthen conv top frame... off the top of my head. I have been a member since '06 and am still a newbie!

Thanks. Take a look at the Restoration Guides or the HUGE 40+ year archive of Club newsletters. I still find them interesting!

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Just a reminder. The Amphicar Forums (what you are looking at here) and the IAOC (International Amphicar Owners Club) are two distinct entities.

The club publishes the newsletter, hosts Celina and other swim-in event, etc. The forums are essentially social media and information archive for Amphicar.

The Amphicar forum was started by myself many, many years ago after I suggested it to the club (which was completely different than it is today) and they did not want to pursue it. I had just purchased my Amphi and could find very little about them on-line at that time. The forum started as a listbox email distribution, migrated to a YahooGroup, and eventually moved to the format we have today. It has always been provided as a free service although the generous contributions from forum members have helped to cover the costs of software, hosting, etc. Eventually, I will turn it over to someone younger, maybe the young Chapman, so that it outlasts us all in some shape or another.

LSolheim

And a fine service for many, many years, Mike! The sharing of experience & experiences provides the very best manner to spread hard-earned knowledge and to keep the legacy of this fun and eclectic vehicle alive and current!!

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Dave - I thought about you last night as I was channel surfing and saw those crazy British guys!
I am curious about your comment about the club. Care to elaborate?

Gary, in Syracuse,NY. (butt deep in snow)
I have been a club member since Jeff Sweet days. Since newsletters are intermittent and you need a newsletter to find code to access club page. The benefits of Club membership have dwindled. Are the Club dues used primarily to donate to Celina? Have the Board members ever chatted here? All those years of dues could have been used to manufacture or order parts that are either reproduced wrong or woefully over priced. Perhaps the Club should assist monetarily to this forum and have both sites connected as one.
I also believe the Club should have years ago backed other swim ins as the annual club event, regardless of date or place.
Dave the Wave- living the dream!!

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
BACK IN THE RON GREEN DAYS(CLUB WAS OVER 400 STRONG) We use to get some money from club for Orillia swim in's, which was given to Jeff whom put on a large dinner on Sat. nights at his cottage,, all were fed well and lots, with no charge to guests so this use to help a lot!
Club need a strong positive leader.. Any volunteer's

100_2909.JPG

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
I too have been a member of the IAOC since the Jeff Sweet days. The value of the club has definitely had its ups and downs over the years although I have to give credit to anyone who has volunteered in various leadership roles.

I have, at various points, considered turning the forums over to the IAOC but either the politics got crazy or others wanted to make it a member's only resource. I'm pretty adamant about keeping it open to all at no cost other than donations.

I did notice that once the IAOC web site was re-designed, that any and all links to the Amphicar Forums (including those on the Amphicar resources page) were deleted.

LSolheim

I too have been a member of the IAOC since the Jeff Sweet days. The value of the club has definitely had its ups and downs over the years although I have to give credit to anyone who has volunteered in various leadership roles.

I have, at various points, considered turning the forums over to the IAOC but either the politics got crazy or others wanted to make it a member's only resource. I'm pretty adamant about keeping it open to all at no cost other than donations.

I did notice that once the IAOC web site was re-designed, that any and all links to the Amphicar Forums (including those on the Amphicar resources page) were deleted.

Sadly, Mike, I didn't realize that those links were gone (bad on me)! As you know, I have been a participating supporter back to the early Yahoo! "Lovers" days & frequently use/recommend this resource to others. We have a small, enthusiastic, special community, that NEVER should consider itself "exclusive". The more interest and activity the better.
A little communication goes a long way. I wish you, Ron & others could have nudged me sooner. JeffS, BilgeyC, MarcS, JohnB & others created a superb resource that I am simply trying to keep alive.

Thanks,
-- Larry Solheim, IAOC webmaster

edit: even more embarassingly, I did find an exceptionally outdated link. It is on the Organize Your Restoration page, shown as "(now the Amphicar Lover's Digest) by Brian Crombie." I'll get that fixed today and add more! --LRS

Last edited:

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
No worries Larry. I only recently noticed it myself while looking at Google webmaster tools and had no idea who is now maintaining the IAOC site. I knew they *the links) were there on the original site.