Fuel Filters

B

billybangel

Does anyone have any experience of in-line fuel filters? (Good thing
bad thing, which type is best for Amphi etc).

A

a_colo_native

--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, "billybangel" <garyb@...>
wrote:
>
> Does anyone have any experience of in-line fuel filters? (Good thing
> bad thing, which type is best for Amphi etc).
>

Billy - I use the glass type. They have a cartridge that is
replaceable and you can plainly see if it is dirty or that you have
fuel flow. Place it as close to the tank as possible.

John Bevins
Rocky Mountain Amphicar

J

John Friese

I use one of those glass filters too. I like it because you can see
what kind of crud is coming from the tank. I installed mine just
before the fuel pump so that it was easy to see when checking out the
engine compartment. It's worked fine there for 4 years now.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, "billybangel" <garyb@...> wrote:
>
> Does anyone have any experience of in-line fuel filters? (Good thing
> bad thing, which type is best for Amphi etc).
>

C

casabala1@aol.com

Re: Re: Fuel Filters

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
Anyone know how to fix fuel reserve tank switch that leaks from shaft/lever entry point

Graham R

PS Das Boot you out there?</font>

C

casabala1@aol.com

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
Found the problem on Fuel valve leakage. Valve put together with lock spring partially pushed under the #2 washer . Removed spring and two washers . Fibre gasket cracked by one of four outlet holes.Glued crack and rotated gasket one position . Flattened washers .
Purchased 7/8" lock spring from Lowes for .86c {2] .Pressed in new lock spring over washer.
Hooked back up inserting valve rod pin .

No problem .

GR .
</font>

B

Bill Connelly

<table bgColor="#c8e0d8" background="">
<font size="2"><font size="3">Graham:

There's a LOT of past postings to this list about "fuel tap" inits searchableYahoogroups Archives(Unfortunately, that old eScribe archives service still mentioned at the bottom of all postings to the List has long since "gone where the woodbine twineth" andnow seems deader than Caesar's dog).M</font></font><font size="2"><font size="3">y own earlier postings on the topic can be found here and here(in the context of a handy index to tech articles in the Club Newsletters 2001-2005 that I can't now even remember compiling back during my Club Webmaster daze).</font></font>
<font size="2"><font size="2"></font></font>
<font size="2"><font size="3">If memory serves, the general wisdomon the fuel tap boils down to this: Don't touch that lever...ever!If you even look at it funny it'll start leaking. The problem is usually the little roundflow-directing fiber three-holedthingee that's held behind the tap's metal faceplate, which in turn is held in place by acirclip/spring washer doodad. Regrettably, these fiber three-holedthingees are highly prone to losing their sealif disturbed in the least, with the result that gas begins dripping out past the faceplate. Last I heard, Hugh Gordon did not stock thesefiber three-holed thingees, only the complete tap assemblies(though this may have changed, so you might want to ask). Otherwise, I do recall JohnFriese mentioning </font></font><font size="2"><font size="3">having found a source for justthe fiber thingees in this postingfrom 2002, so he may be able to help. </font></font>
<font size="2"><font size="2"></font></font>
<font size="2"><font size="3">As for my own Amphi,when I first got it back in '95 Iquickly discovered that the fuel tap leaked.Lacking any source of fiber thingees back then, I simply sealed up the leaking faceplate with JB Weld epoxy, and it held for years and years, until Billy Syx of East Coast Amphicar replaced my "temporary fix" with a straight-out sort of tap he'd developed, together with a standard see-through inline fuel filter between the tap and the magnetic cutoff switch. Of course, without the original fuel tap's little "snorkel" rising just above the rusty muck in the bottom of the fuel tank, this</font></font><font size="2"><font size="3"> new straight-out setup was at first prone to clogging and I had some fuel starvation problems at higher sustained speeds (if an Amphicar can indeed be said to have such a thing), until, that is,on David Chapman's suggestion at Celina, I slapped a couple of large flat magnetson the bottom of the fuel tank to lurethe mostly-rust-particulate (i.e. iron) away fromthe outlet. Since then, no problems.</font></font>
<font size="2"><font size="3"></font></font>
<font size="2"><font size="3">But anyhow, good luck!</font></font>
~Bilgey~<font size="2"><font size="3">

</font>----- Original Message -----
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 5:02 AM
Subject: Re: [amphicar-lovers] Re: Fuel Filters

Anyone know how to fix fuel reserve tank switch that leaks from shaft/lever entry point

Graham R

PS Das Boot you out there?</font>

A

amphi_sc

--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Connelly" <amphicar@...>
wrote:

> There's a LOT of past postings to this list about "fuel tap" in its
>searchable Yahoogroups Archives ...

for example from Ren? Pohl back in February 2001:
<http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/message/1235>
excerpt...
After much trouble I simply dumped the whole tap unit! There are repairing
kits available here in Germany (you can get every size of these three
holes
gaskets on vintage car markets) but the repair just lasted for a year
or so.
Tried a brand new tap with similar effect.
Some German Club members use valves from motorcycles, but I gave up all
hopes and replaced it with an electro magnetic valve directly connected at
the tank...... etc...

J

John Friese

I still sell the gasket that fixes the leak problem at the fuel shut
off. I replaced mine (in two cars) four years ago and they haven't
leaked since. I'm also the guy who came up with the improved clutch
system and improved "late style" (non screw-in) bilge plug.

Call me or email me if you would like to buy one or two. My phone is
805-570-4778 (afternoons or evenings PST) or email me at
jfriese(at)mindspring.com

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, casabala1@... wrote:
>
> Anyone know how to fix fuel reserve tank switch that leaks from
shaft/lever
> entry point
>