Flat towing an Amphicar

Akamphi

Still looking for info on how others have done it. Hopping to get the engine in mine and fire it up soon so I'll want to tow it behind the RV soon.

LSolheim

Here you go, Craig. I had prepared something for JB just the other day. Let me know if you have any questions!

We use an RV mounted towbar with the brackets on Amphi. The initial theory was to minimize the look and water drag when not in tow, but to provide decent structure so that the weak front bumper bracket would not see too much load and so I wouldn’t pull the front end off of the car. She has about 73K miles of "towage", so far.
I have attached a couple of photos, plus a pic off of the Autocad file. If you have Autocad I can send the original.
As you see the actual towbar attachment is held on w/ quick release t-pins, so only the stubs remain permanently. As I did this originally when the car was positive ground (and the Amphicar braking circuit is open without the key on), there is a separate wiring harness for running light, brake lights, turn signals and a supplementary braking system I use. This Mil-Spec plug under the RH headlight is a lot less intrusive that the over-hood wiring tube I used to use.

Attachments

• DSCN2640.JPG
    DSCN2640.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2641.JPG
    DSCN2641.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN2642.JPG
    DSCN2642.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN0480.JPG
    DSCN0480.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN2639.JPG
    DSCN2639.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 40
  • P6140001.JPG
    P6140001.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 34
  • P6140003.JPG
    P6140003.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 40
  • P6140008.JPG
    P6140008.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Tow Bracket -2.JPG
    Tow Bracket -2.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 38

Akamphi

Thanks Larry! I love the way you have this set up. I'd love a copy of the autocad file. Can you send it to akamc401 at g mail dot com?

How is your wiring set up for stop and turn? My car is neg ground like yours. Do you have a set of tail lights that attach to the back when in tow?

LSolheim

This was all originally done when Amphi was still positive ground, Craig.

For a variety of reasons (the Amphi brake light circuit is open with the key off, I didn't want Amphi headlights on when running lights were used, and not wanting to cross the positive ground Amphicar with the negative ground RV), I ran a separate circuits for the brake/turn and running lights. The initial thought was to use removable magnetic tow-lights mounted on the engine cover, but I eventually decided that was not "elegant" enough, so mounted GM mini press-in bulb sockets into the Amphicar tail light reflectors (see attached). The wire is a standard 4-wire tow harness with the larger (brighter) bulb the brake/turn signal & the smaller bulbs the tail lights. All are powered from the RV.

The Acad drawing is enroute.

Attachments

• P7140002.JPG
    P7140002.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 21

Akamphi

Thanks Larry! I like your set up alot. Next time your passing through Oregon let me know. I'm in Corvallis about 20 minutes off I5. I'd love to swing out to the hwy and have a look in person.

Craig

LSolheim

We used to be down there a lot when son-in-law was at OSU for his MS.

We will be nearby (on 101) when we head to Clear Lake in early September for the Amphicar/SeaPlane festival. Maybe we can caravan down if you can participate?

Akamphi

Thanks! I'd looked at the link on the site before but it goes to a memorial page. How far into Cali is clear lake?

LSolheim

Hmmmm, don't know when that Splash-in link changed -- the amphicar.com calendar has been redirected to another site.

Anyway .. .. .. Lakewood, CA is about 225 miles below the CA/OR border down Hwy 101 - head on Hwy 20 East at Willits. Almost due west of Yuba City, west from I-5 on CA 20.

Craig: did you get the other info at your gmail address?

Akamphi

Yes I did Larry! Thanks! My daughter will be up here visiting from Texas in Sept so not sure we can make the trip down but we might go over to the coast for a few days. We stay in Yachats alot so maybe we can buy you folks lunch on your way through and check out your Amphicar?

Gord... Yea I noticed it was a bit different and was able to clean up the ring on my speedo and reuse it. No worries...

Akamphi

Want to thank you again Larry for the cad files and the pictures. Got everything printed out and plan to make one up this winter. You really should make these as a kit! It'd be lots easyer for me that way anyway! :) You did all the hard work for me already looks like though.