Electronic ignition

W

wick68355@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2">This last spring I replaced the points and condenser in the distributor with an electronic system which uses an infrared sensor. The season before I had to paddle home twice and it was not fun. The system I used is manufactured by Crane Cams. It is called Fireball and the model number is 700-0231. This kit includes a slotted disc which is installed on the distributor shaft under the rotor, an infrared pick up some brackets and a small computer box. You have to purchase a Chrysler style ballast resistor and a resistor-less coil. Those parts will run less than ten bucks. I removed the distributor from the car to make it easier. You must remove the large pin which holds the points on the breaker plate. This will be hard to do for any purist but I got over it. This kit comes with instructions for many different applications. My Amphi still runs on 12 positive ground and I was able to use this kit to achieve this. It will also work if you have converted to negative ground. I was able to complete the project in a few evenings. I was originally quoted $75 for the kit. But when I picked it up after special ordering it, the price was now $150. I guess it was the old double the cost trick to get the list price. I am very happy with the performance. It seems as if I picj\ked up some horsepower. The other thing that is nice is starting the engine. Warm or cold I can reach in and start the engine without pulling the choke or hitting the gas. The only phone number for Crane that I have is for the tech line, but they can probably find you a retailer. that number is 904-258-6174 or on the web www.cranecams.com. Let me know what you think.

Tim Wick</font>

S

Schulz Gary-FGS111

<table>
<span class="180374114-24102001"><font face="Arial" color="#0000ff" size="2">I also installed the Crane positive ground system this year and have been very pleased with the results. You do indeed have to cut down the points locating pin otherwise it will contact the slotted disk. Also most of the OEM Lucas type coils including the sports coil have sufficient internal resistance (approximately 3.5 Ohms) so that you do not need to run the external Chrysler resistor. Make sure you measure your coil before using the kit without the resistor. I think this should be a very popular conversion since bad condensers at sea is a great way to ruin your day!</font></span>
<span class="180374114-24102001"><font face="Arial" color="#0000ff" size="2"></font></span>
<span class="180374114-24102001"><font face="Arial" color="#0000ff" size="2">I think I also paid in the vicinity of $150. The kit is available from many British car parts sources.</font></span>
<span class="180374114-24102001"><font face="Arial" color="#0000ff" size="2"></font></span>
<span class="180374114-24102001"><font face="Arial" color="#0000ff" size="2">Gary Schulz</font></span>
<blockquote>
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2">-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 8:56 AM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Electronic ignition

</font><font face="arial,helvetica"><font size="2">This last spring I replaced the points and condenser in the distributor with an electronic system which uses an infrared sensor. The season before I had to paddle home twice and it was not fun. The system I used is manufactured by Crane Cams. It is called Fireball and the model number is 700-0231. This kit includes a slotted disc which is installed on the distributor shaft under the rotor, an infrared pick up some brackets and a small computer box. You have to purchase a Chrysler style ballast resistor and a resistor-less coil. Those parts will run less than ten bucks. I removed the distributor from the car to make it easier. You must remove the large pin which holds the points on the breaker plate. This will be hard to do for any purist but I got over it. This kit comes with instructions for many different applications. My Amphi still runs on 12 positive ground and I was able to u! se! ! this kit to achieve this. It will also work if you have converted to negative ground. I was able to complete the project in a few evenings. I was originally quoted $75 for the kit. But when I picked it up after special ordering it, the price was now $150. I guess it was the old double the cost trick to get the list price. I am very happy with the performance. It seems as if I picj\ked up some horsepower. The other thing that is nice is starting the engine. Warm or cold I can reach in and start the engine without pulling the choke or hitting the gas. The only phone number for Crane that I have is for the tech line, but they can probably find you a retailer. that number is 904-258-6174 or on the web www.cranecams.com. Let me know what you think.
Tim Wick</font>

<tt>To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, just send an email TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS (this is not the same address for posting messages):
amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Any other issues may be addressed to the list owner/admin (Mike Israel) amphicar770@yahoo.com

</tt>

<tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.</tt>
</blockquote></font>

W

wick68355@aol.com

Re: Re: Electronic ignition

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2">I am writing an article for the newsletter tech section. I will include pictures and diagrams on the electronic ignition. I will also check into purchasing the kit through other sources for a better price. These kits fit almost everything that has a distributor 4,6,8 and even 12 cylinders and both negative and positive ground. I will keep you posted.

Tim Wick</font>

E

Eric Mattlin

Tim;

Is there any chance that these folks would give a discount for
getting together a group order? I know a couple of people who'd
gladly covert for something a little more reliable.

I have a similar set-up in my Lincoln Continental Convertible (67).
The part was ~$50 and I can't remeber what I paid to get it installed
(if it was a lot I'd remeber). The difference in how the car ran
after that was amazing. I've had it in the Lincoln for 4 years with
no problems.

Anyone else interested in a group purchase? If there's interes we
could put together a complete parts list and try and price it out
with all parts needed in a kit.

Eric

--- In amphicar-lovers@y..., wick68355@a... wrote:
> This last spring I replaced the points and condenser in the
distributor with
> an electronic system which uses an infrared sensor. The season
before I had
> to paddle home twice and it was not fun. The system I used is
manufactured
> by Crane Cams. It is called Fireball and the model number is 700-
0231. This
> kit includes a slotted disc which is installed on the distributor
shaft under
> the rotor, an infrared pick up some brackets and a small computer
box. You
> have to purchase a Chrysler style ballast resistor and a resistor-
less coil.
> Those parts will run less than ten bucks. I removed the
distributor from the
> car to make it easier. You must remove the large pin which holds
the points
> on the breaker plate. This will be hard to do for any purist but I
got over
> it. This kit comes with instructions for many different
applications. My
> Amphi still runs on 12 positive ground and I was able to use this
kit to
> achieve this. It will also work if you have converted to negative
ground. I
> was able to complete the project in a few evenings. I was
originally quoted
> $75 for the kit. But when I picked it up after special ordering it,
the price
> was now $150. I guess it was the old double the cost trick to get
the list
> price. I am very happy with the performance. It seems as if I
picj\ked up
> some horsepower. The other thing that is nice is starting the
engine. Warm
> or cold I can reach in and start the engine without pulling the
choke or
> hitting the gas. The only phone number for Crane that I have is for
the tech
> line, but they can probably find you a retailer. that number is 904-
258-6174
> or on the web www.cranecams.com. Let me know what you think.
> Tim Wick

C

Cap''n John

> Anyone else interested in a group purchase? If there's interes we
> could put together a complete parts list and try and price it out
> with all parts needed in a kit.
>
> Eric

You can count me in! While I am going for a correct restoration, I am
making the few changes to make her relaible like the alternator. neg
gnd, and hopefully electronic ign.

John