Electronic ignition distributor wiring

Akamphi

I have a 1500 ill be firing up soon. I have aftermarket an electronic ignition distributor with a black and red wire coming out of it and have lost the instal directions. Any ideas on the most likely way to wire it up?

jfriese

Craig,

Be sure you have the correct Pertronix model for the grounding of your car. It must be the negative ground version if your car has been switched to negative ground and the positive ground model if you left your car with the original positive ground setup. If you have the wrong version, switching the wiring won't work and I think you'll kill the module. It must be the correct module for the grounding of your car.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Akamphi

jfriese said:
Craig,

Be sure you have the correct Pertronix model for the grounding of your car. It must be the negative ground version if your car has been switched to negative ground and the positive ground model if you left your car with the original positive ground setup. If you have the wrong version, switching the wiring won't work and I think you'll kill the module. It must be the correct module for the grounding of your car.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red
My distributor was a complete unit. Made for a neg ground spitfire 1500. Not sure who made it now though. :( I'm guessing black to neg coil side and red to positive? Seems simple enough just looking for reassurances as I'm pretty close to firing this up and don't want to do something silly wrong.

jfriese

Craig,

If that distributor came with the module and it was for a negative ground vehicle, then if you converted the originally positive ground Amphicar to negative ground you should be fine. If you have the ground wire from the battery going to the frame then chances are your whole car has been converted. If the gas gauge doesn't work then it wasn't converted.

John

LSolheim

I will confirm that switching the wires for positive or negative ground vehicles wil not work! We tried my old positive ground Pertronix on my brother's negative ground Jensen Healey. Fortunately we didn't need that unit any longer anyway. --Larry

When I bought my Pertronix I wasnt asked if I had pos or neg gnd and it seems I should have! It never even crossed my mind since the 3 Amphicars I have had and many MG's all were converted to neg gnd. Anyway, they sent me a 2 wire. Jack