Pertronix Electronic Ignition

M

Mike Israel

Guest
Hi All,

Just completed the latest upgrade to my Amphi, the
installation of a Pertronix electronic ignition
module.

For about $80 I must give an enthusiastic thumbs up to
this product. Benefits, as I see them include:

1) No more points to deal with.
2) Very easy installation.
3) Everything fits under the distributor cap with no
modification to existing components. Thus, it is the
type of upgrade which improves performance and
reliability without really distracting from
originality. Sort of like using Amsoil instead of the
original petroleum based products. Keep the points
and condesnor around as a backup if you wish.

Pertronix makes units for both positive ground
(original) and negative ground (converted to
alternator) based Amphicar engines. Mine is positive
ground.

Usual disclaimers apply. No relationship to
Pertronix, just a satisfied customer.

Regards,

Mike Israel


__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!
http://sbc.yahoo.com
 
A

a_colo_native

Guest
Mike,

I also went with the Pertronics ign, coil and added 8mm plug wires
too. My car swims 2+ times each week. So far with 1400+ miles and
50hrs on the clock, no problems and she always starts. Two fins up!!

John
 
M

Mike Israel

Guest
Re: Re: Pertronix Electronic Ignition

A few off line requests about the part number. Here
it is...

This info is from the escribe archives as
provided by John F. I used the LU 142AP as described
and just trimmed the rubber grommet a bit with a razor
blade.

I ordered on-line at end of day from
classicgarage.com and had it the very next day even
with UPS ground.

>
> > I wanted to get to the information straight on
> which
> Pertronix
> > electronic ignition is right for the Amphi. My
> Amphi was
> > converted to
> > negative ground when I bought a Pertronix unit
> from
> a local
> > dealer.
> > He had told me that an LU 142A unit was correct
> for
> negative
> > ground
> > and an LU 142AP was the positive ground version.
> When I put it
> > in, I
> > had to use a razor blade to trim off a bit of the
> rubber grommet
> > that
> > goes through the side wall. No big deal and the
> system worked
> > fine.
> > Then, in this group, I heard that an LU 149 was
> the
> correct unit.
> > I
> > called Pertronix and found out that the only
> difference between
> > the
> > two was this chop of the grommet. I had them send
> me a grommet
> > from a
> > 149 unit to confirm this. They did. In fact it
> looks like the
> > 149
> > grommet is the same grommet only THEY chopped the
> grommet off a
> > bit.
> > I guess they decided not to spend the money for a
> separate mold
> > when
> > all you needed was to chop off a bit. Anyway, the
> correct one for
> > an
> > unmodified Amphi would be an LU 149AP. If your
> dealer doesn't
> > stock
> > that model, as mine didn't, just get, the more
> common, LU 142AP
> > and do
> > the chopping yourself. And if you run a negative
> ground car just
> > drop
> > the "P" from the end of the model number. The
> negative ground
> > units
> > are a bit cheaper also, although they're not too
> expensive anyway,
> > being about $75, and they work great.
> >
> > John Friese
> >


__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!
http://sbc.yahoo.com
 
N

nelson625@aol.com

Guest
Re: Re: Pertronix Electronic Ignition

John-
Your information and explanations re the Pertronix units was very
useful. I have had absolutely no problem with my stock distributor or ignition.
However, I realize it is a worthwhile upgrade and unless I am mistaken, allows a
larger plug gap for better ignition, though I am not certain this is correct.
I am confused, however, from your information about whether there is, in
fact, a difference (electronically) between the negative ground and the positive
ground units. Are they positive or negative pole sensitive? When you say to
just chop the "P" from the end of the model number, I interpret this to mean the
Positive and Negative models are electrically the same. Is this true? Also,
why would I order one from "my dealer"' as you put it, rather than just from
classicgarage.com as you did with such excellent service? Thanks Vic
"Splash"' Nelson with the '67 "Split Personality"


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
 
J

John Friese

Guest
--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, nelson625@a... wrote:
> John-
> Your information and explanations re the Pertronix units was
very
> useful. I have had absolutely no problem with my stock distributor
or ignition.
> However, I realize it is a worthwhile upgrade and unless I am
mistaken, allows a
> larger plug gap for better ignition, though I am not certain this is
correct.
> I am confused, however, from your information about whether there
is, in
> fact, a difference (electronically) between the negative ground and
the positive
> ground units. Are they positive or negative pole sensitive? When
you say to
> just chop the "P" from the end of the model number, I interpret this
to mean the
> Positive and Negative models are electrically the same. Is this
true? Also,
> why would I order one from "my dealer"' as you put it, rather than
just from
> classicgarage.com as you did with such excellent service? Thanks
Vic
> "Splash"' Nelson with the '67 "Split Personality"
>
>
Hi,
You should buy the "P" version if you have a stock, positive ground,
electrical system and the model without the P if you have converted
your Amphi to negative ground.

The main reason I put in the electronic module was to eliminate the
side force on the distributor shaft. It might also gives you a hotter
spark, but it's basically a "points eliminator" system and not some
super hot capacitive ignition system.

John Friese
 
N

nelson625@aol.com

Guest
Re: Re: Pertronix Electronic Ignition

John- (or anyone else knowledgeable in this subject)
Re the Pertronics setup, am I mistaken, but doesn't the electronic
ignition allow for a bigger plug gap and did you change your gap from what you
had used with the points and condenser? Does information on this particular
matter come with the Pertronix setup? My car always starts essentially
instantly
except when it is hot. I don't know what the problem is in that situation,
but wonder if electronic ignition would help at all in that regard. My only
starting problems have had to do with a fuel problem in North Carolina which
went
away after I took the carb all apart and could find no problem and when it is
quite cold, my starter solenoid will stick occasionally. Cold here in Florida
means e.g. 50 degrees !
Something I have wondered about. My engine "diesels" some almost
always when it is turned off when the engine is hot. I "stall" it out with my
foot
on the brake, so it does not constitute a problem and I have prsumed it is due
to carbon build up in the head. The engine only has about 2500 miles on it
since it was gone through and 11,000 all together. Assuming that this is due to
carbon build up, would the elctronic ignition, especially with a bigger spark
gap not result in more complete combustion and therefore less carbon build up
(if that is in fact what is causing the "dieseling" ?)
Vic "Splash" Nelson near
Daytona


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
 
A

a_colo_native

Guest
Re the Pertronics setup, am I mistaken, but doesn't the electronic
> ignition allow for a bigger plug gap and did you change your gap
from what you
> had used with the points and condenser? Does information on this
particular
> matter come with the Pertronix setup?

Vic,

My gap remained the same. I don't recall seeing anything in the
instructions about it. Humf? I should look into that.

> My car always starts essentially instantly
> except when it is hot. I don't know what the problem is in that
situation,
> but wonder if electronic ignition would help at all in that regard.

My car starts (cold) with a touch of the key too. The hard starting
when hot is usually because of the fuel dumping into the intake from
boiling or siphoning. Try Wayne's WOT (wide open throttle) tip and it
should help. Kudos to you Wayne!!!

> Something I have wondered about. My engine "diesels" some almost
> always when it is turned off when the engine is hot. <SNIP>(if that
is in fact what is causing the "dieseling" ?)

Check your timing! It is probably slightly advanced causing the
Dieseling. This can be VERY bad for and engine!

John Bevins
<{{{=<
 
N

nelson625@aol.com

Guest
Re: Re: Pertronix Electronic Ignition

John-
I'll look into Wayne's Tip and your suggestions of checking the
timing. The car runs so darned well, I hate to tamper with it, but I'll see what
the
timing is at. Thanks - Vic


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scottamphi What Pertronix Fit My Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 6
C Has anyone had problems with Pertronix coils? General Amphicar Discussion 6
R Pertronix Ignitor General Amphicar Discussion 0
J Pertronix Follow up General Amphicar Discussion 1
C Pertronix Part # General Amphicar Discussion 5
C Pertronix Ignightor II for $85.35 General Amphicar Discussion 0
Akamphi Electronic ignition distributor wiring General Amphicar Discussion 7
B Crane Cams XR700 electronic ignition General Amphicar Discussion 0
B electronic ignition - another option General Amphicar Discussion 0
W ELECTRONIC IGNITION FOLLOW UP General Amphicar Discussion 0
W Electronic ignition General Amphicar Discussion 4
M ELECTRONIC IGNITON FOR AMPHICARS (1999) [long one folks] General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Electronic ign? General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March never saw this ignition key setup before General Amphicar Discussion 20
Jon March double the fun: 2 kinds of ignition wires! General Amphicar Discussion 0
Propcar50 Ignition System Does Not Energize General Amphicar Discussion 1
Stephen Motzko Ignition/Wiring Issue - Any Ideas? General Amphicar Discussion 27
P "ignition on" hot wire location? General Amphicar Discussion 2
Cameron in UK Another ignition issue to be aware of... General Amphicar Discussion 5
Steve Looking for ignition trouble shooting tips General Amphicar Discussion 6
Akamphi Questing about ignition switch and bilge blower wiring General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Ignition switch bezel needed General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Ignition switch bezel needed General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Ignition switch General Amphicar Discussion 6
E Ignition Circuit Resistor General Amphicar Discussion 1
C IGNITION PARTS, ETC. FROM NAPA General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Ignition switch and door locks General Amphicar Discussion 9
J Ignition switch needed General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Ignition timing General Amphicar Discussion 0
Top