Crank Shaft Bushing Recourse

sdreich

Hi-

Over a year ago I had my engine rebuilt. It seemed fine for a while, then then I started finding black oil in the bilge, which was strange because the engine oil was quite clean. To make a long story short, I discovered the rear transmission seal was leaking and throwing gear oil onto the clutch plate, which was totally burned out (no fiber left at all) when the car died just short of my driveway. I replaced the seal and the clutch, but I started seeing gear oil in the bilge again. I pulled the transmission and the new seal was leaking. My mechanic friend came over and said the seal was leaking because the shaft was not stabilized by the crank shaft bearing. Checking the manual, it's not a bearing, but a brass bushing. Now I had to pull the engine as well, and sure enough there was no bushing. "Where did it go," I asked. "Vaporized," was the reply.

My question is, can a bushing really get vaporized such that there are no pieces seen anywhere, or is it possible, that it was not inserted when the engine was rebuilt? I don't know if it was there when I repaired the transmission the first time, since I didn't know enough to look for it or even notice it. Assuming, it wasn't replaced by the engine rebuilder, do you think I have any case in going back to him? What would be the evidence?

Your thoughts are most appreciated.

-Steve
Del Mar, CA
'64 red (AMPHICR) in multiple parts including engine in the driveway
'64 red (I SWIM 2) sitting idle while I focus on AMPHICR

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Bushing never installed. Installer of trans responsible not engine builder. Check play of input shaft, if loose trans has to be repaired. If shaft is loose and used absolute destruction of trans can result. Later Dave the Wave

It is called a pilot bushing and yes, they do come out. Maybe you had your crankshaft turned and the guy who did it had to remove the bushing or it just fell out. I always look for that bushing when assembling an engine since I torn up a 4 speed Muncie in my 55 Chevy when I was 16 from having a missing pilot bushing.

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
Steve,
when Cranks are taken to a machine shop to be turned(10thou under etc)
they often take the bushings out, I get them back with crank in a seperate bag.
The person Whom installed the clutch should have used a clutch alignment tool which goes into that bushing to do its job, and noted that the bushing was missing and informed you then!
This is so important that most clutch supplyers ask if you need it when ordering(John F supplys it automaticly with his cluTch kit for Amphicars.)
GORD

jfriese

Steve,

There's no way that bushing would ever go away entirely, in fact it's rare that it even wears out appreciably. Nonetheless, its always a good idea to replace it when the engine is out and apart. I'm quite certain that the re builder didn't deal with it at all if you didn't bring in the flywheel on the engine. Whoever put the flywheel back on had the responsibility to be sure that bushing was good and in place.

John Friese

67 White
67 Red

I was just tearing down an 1147 to take to machine shop, when I was all done and parts all put in boxes, I noticed a brass bushing on floor, at first I thought it was a king pin bushing as I had just bought a set from Gord. No, the pilot bushing had fallen out, theres not much holding them in! I agree that the guy who assembled the flywheel and clutch should have made sure the bushing was in place.