Amphicar Axle shaft removal from the gearbox

Jacques B.

Hello guys,

Probably this question was asked million times before, but I could not find the answer.

I'm restoring my 1964, and I already removed the hubs, boots and now both axle shafts are stuck on the gearbox. When Gord had the shafts removed from my 1967, they came out on his hands, no need of any effort. On the 1964 appears that they rusted inside of the gearbox and are now stuck. What you guys suggest ?

Thanks,

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Maybe using an extended slide hammer. If you can get out of car, you can use basic leverage to get axle off ,the side with steel cover. Aluminum side use basic hammer skills. Good luck.

Jacques B.

Thanks for the answer Dave. At the beginning I was hitting with all care from inside the car with a normal size hammer, but after 2 hours did not move one millimeter. I got feed up, got a bigger hammer and lots of motivation, 2 minutes and both were out :).

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
You are going to have to check for damage to the spider gears the shaft sit in. they should move in and out easy.
I have used ones or NOS new ones too.I test all axles in tranys before installed in cars as I have found some badly damaged spiders in the past.
They have splines the shaft fit into, seen inside of the pot in the pic. This one spent some time full of water --yuck.

Attachments

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Sometimes the wheel hub is very hard to remove, even with a hub puller. I have seen a few hubs that were bent by the pullers, this results in a rear wheel that wobbles down the road, which gets you many honks from cars following you.(at Cellina).. Right Ron Gr!.Used hubs are getting hard to find and New are Very expensive. I can not fix a bent one but if the seal surface is damaged I can repair that.I do have a few reconditioned ones here.100_2968.JPG

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Amphicar Rear Axle U-joints Late Style General Amphicar Discussion 0
K Amphicar Rear axle boots General Amphicar Discussion 1
J 1967 Amphicar Tub Toy Restorations in progress 3
DougFromBaltimore Amphicar - Servicing Rear Brakes without removing hubs and tip for attaching springs General Amphicar Discussion 9
S Rear Amphicar Shocks w/Small Diameter Spring - Rear Spring Specs? General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel The only car I consider to be way cooler than the Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Parting ways with my 64 Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 0
AmazingOne Restored 1964 Amphicar for sale General Amphicar Discussion 0
chapron67 Wanted to buy: Nice, useable Amphicar. General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel Annual costs of maintaining an Amphicar (Forum) ... General Amphicar Discussion 10
Jon March lot #012 - The next big Amphicar auction: end of This week! - lot #012 General Amphicar Discussion 4
strandweiss62 RHD Amphicar sold at Mecum General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Amphicar with Buick V6! General Amphicar Discussion 4
DavidC Amphicar club gift. General Amphicar Discussion 3
Andreas Gomoll „The Uganda-Amphicar“ - Brakeparts needed... General Amphicar Discussion 0
Latitude33 Amphicar cover General Amphicar Discussion 4
Andreas Gomoll ... my Amphicar has some specials.... Restorations in progress 2
B Amphicar Tow Bar General Amphicar Discussion 0
DavidC Anyone interested in the ultimate Amphicar muffler project ? General Amphicar Discussion 9
B Celina Amphicar Record General Amphicar Discussion 3
T Amphicar Furniture General Amphicar Discussion 6
mike_israel Amphicar Hawaiian Shirts - Order Deadline Approaching General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March the 3 different Amphicar factory driveshafts General Amphicar Discussion 2
W Having trouble finding outer boots for my Amphicar with Eddie Dillard rear axles. General Amphicar Discussion 12
sdreich Amphicar Transmissions General Amphicar Discussion 12
L long distance moves for Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 6
sdreich Amphicar Hubcaps on eBay and More General Amphicar Discussion 4
LSolheim 2018 Clearlake Seaplane - Amphicar: Fly & Swim-in General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March Amphicar chase-scenes General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel New Search Engine on Amphicar Forums General Amphicar Discussion 2
jfriese More Original Amphicar Horns General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Central Florida Amphicar Swim In General Amphicar Discussion 4
E Amphicar floor General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March GREAT Amphicar footage from the hot new Northeast "Naples Swim" General Amphicar Discussion 0
scottamphi What Pertronix Fit My Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 6
Jacques B. Help needed with Amphicar Water trans gears. General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel Amphicar Forum - System Update Underway General Amphicar Discussion 1
E New Amphicar Tech General Amphicar Discussion 1
mike_israel Merry Christmas & Joy to the Amphicar World General Amphicar Discussion 1
BlueFin Scam Amphicar Ad General Amphicar Discussion 11
Jon March the ultimate Amphicar paint General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel New Amphicar Children's Book General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Amphicar on Jay Leno's Garage General Amphicar Discussion 9
mike_israel 1921 Auto-Boat: Floating along 40 years earlier than the Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Amphicar Fuses?? General Amphicar Discussion 2
Jon March Sun June 7 - "worlds fair edition" Amphicar?! General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel New Walt Disney World Restaurant Offers Amphicar Rides General Amphicar Discussion 42
mike_israel Do you think this part will fit an Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 2
dutchamphi Inspector Clouseau-Amphicar episode 1968 General Amphicar Discussion 6
auburnamphi Amphicar Owners In Georgia General Amphicar Discussion 2