Convertible Top frames

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Never had this before!
the holes for hold downs were in the wrong place(from new)
instead of being in line with the pins they were to the outside of it.
so as in picture I cut open the top and made a new inset and welded it in place with the 4mm hole for hold down hinge.

Top frame 002.JPG

Top frame 001.JPG

jfriese

Gord,

How could such an error occur at the factory? If I understand the error, they wouldn't have been able to put the top up for shipping. Some switched part seems more likely. Perhaps I don't exactly understand what the error is.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Kruser

as per Hugh and Bob Gordon they have new convertible top bows that they picked up when they bought up the left over factory inventory that are all like what Gord had above. Bob told me the way late models had the offset pins and latches. My car didn't come with a top and was looking for the bows when I got that info, I end up getting good used bows from Bevins in the end and never did deal with the issue. I'm just guessing the Amphi engineers thought offsetting pins and latches would help strengthen the front header on the bows?? That reminds me that I have a set off spare convertible top bows I got from Capone that he robbed the front header off of (the part that usually goes bad). If someone wants them, come and get em ( so I don't trip over them for the next 40 years)

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Never done till you are done.
Fit doors on and Alu, hits the vent window had to cut and reweld.
Electron top has a good note on fixing the sag above front side windows.
i will see if I can get the club to re print it in the newsletter.

Doors on 006.JPG