"Boating Through the Decades" - Seattle Yacht Club Opening Day - May 4, 2019

Added to Calendar: 05-04-19

LSolheim

Happy almost Spring local NW Amphicar Owners and Enthusiasts!

As the sun has finally returned, it is now just 7 weeks until the annual Opening Day extravaganza. Time for those post winter check-ups and test drives/test swims! I wonder what has broken while sitting in the Boat House over the winter?

I will be signing up an Amphicar ‘fleet’ for the "Spirit Class" of the Boat Parade (although only a “flotilla of 1”, Amphicars again won 3rd Place in 2018), and will be making the trek down to the Seattle Yacht Club (SYC) on Thursday, May 2nd to finalize the entry and to pick up our boat parade numbers. HERE is the SYC Opening Day website.

If you would like to join the fun, please arrive at the Gasworks Park parking lot off of Northlake Way about 11:00 Saturday morning (May 4) where we can gather, meet the natives, chat, and apply our parade numbers. About 11:40 we will convoy to the Puget Sound Yacht Club/Seattle Marina ramp to launch, (harass the Duck Tours), and swim under the I-5 & Eastlake bridges into the Portage Bay staging area. It is usually a couple of hours wait while we “swim with the big boys” & our eclectic little cars impress the multi-thousand dollar yachts and stop traffic on 520!

We then make the run through the Montlake Cut into Lake Washington to the cheering of the crowds, along the boats tethered to the log-booms, finally around the northerly log-boom and back to the Husky Stadium area until the fireboat passes and the Seattle Police let us be first to head back the way we came. Weather & interest dependent, we can cruise across Lake Union to the swanky Eastlake area, or just back to the ramp and down the road to Ivar’s Salmon House/Fish Bar for a restroom, fish & chips or a no-host group dinner & libations! Even if you cannot swim, please meet us at Ivar’s!!

With luck the weather should be fantastic again this year so we are hoping for a good turnout, including each of you!

Please pass this information onto anyone you may feel interested, as I am sure I have missed some in the emailed version!
Keep those fins up,
-- Larry, Nancy & Amphi