Boat Registration Problems for Amphicar in Georgia

auburnamphi

I am having trouble here in Georgia with obtaining a boat registration.I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?Are there any Amphicar owners in Georgia,who have had any trouble getting a boat registration?
I need to know if it considered an inboard,inboard/outboard or other as far as propulsion.Any advise will be appreciated.
After being in a barn for the past 30years,took it out for a test swim.Did very well.Now,I am in the process of new paint.

slantflat

I'm in Stockbridge. I tried my best NOT to have to get a boat registration. I called the DNR, told them what I had, told them I already pay for license plates because after all it isn't a boat it's a car, and they said sorry, if it goes on the water it has to have a boat reg. They sent me a form and I filled it out. That was a lot of years ago. I called it a 14ft inboard, don't remember what hp I put, and I got a decal and reg number. No problems that I remember.

Where in Georgia?

Mike Clark
64 Blue
Stockbridge, Georgia

I am having trouble here in Georgia with obtaining a boat registration.I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?Are there any Amphicar owners in Georgia,who have had any trouble getting a boat registration?I need to know if it considered an inboard,inboard/outboard or other as far as propulsion.Any advise will be appreciated.After being in a barn for the past 30years,took it out for a test swim.Did very well.Now,I am in the process of new paint.

EricM

I'm in the process of moving from Chicago to Atlanta. What does it
cost for the car registration on an Amphi? i have three antique
cars. I know I'll be in tears about the personal property tax on my
regular car.

Eric
62 White

On Apr 7, 2008, at 7:26 PM, slantflat wrote:

> I'm in Stockbridge. I tried my best NOT to have to get a boat
> registration. I called the DNR, told them what I had, told them I
> already pay for license plates because after all it isn't a boat
> it's a car, and they said sorry, if it goes on the water it has to
> have a boat reg. They sent me a form and I filled it out. That was
> a lot of years ago. I called it a 14ft inboard, don't remember what
> hp I put, and I got a decal and reg number. No problems that I
> remember.
>
> Where in Georgia?
>
>
> Mike Clark
> 64 Blue
> Stockbridge, Georgia
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I am having trouble here in Georgia with obtaining a boat
> registration.I was wondering if anyone else has had the same
> problem?Are there any Amphicar owners in Georgia,who have had any
> trouble getting a boat registration?I need to know if it considered
> an inboard,inboard/outboard or other as far as propulsion.Any
> advise will be appreciated.After being in a barn for the past
> 30years,took it out for a test swim.Did very well.Now,I am in the
> process of new paint.
>
> __________________________________________________ _______________
> Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live
> Messenger.
> http://www.windowslive.com/messenger...r_video_042008
>
>

slantflat

ERIC DON'T DO IT! Stay in Chicago! I've lived here 11 years (grew up in Park Forest, worked at O'Hare, was downtown all the time) and still wish I could go back. Problem is my company doesn't have a job for me in Chicago.

For the Amphi and your other antique cars, you should get out under 50 each. The personal property tax will be about 4 bucks. Tag fee is 20, and you can get away with not transferring the title to save 18. In fact, the state of Georgia didn't title cars until 1963 so you wouldn't even be able to get a title for your 62 Amphi. I don't remember what the boat reg was, I don't buy one anymore because the lake that I live on is private and I don't need one. It wasn't a lot.

When are you due to be down here? Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Mike

I'm in the process of moving from Chicago to Atlanta. What does it cost for the car registration on an Amphi? i have three antique cars. I know I'll be in tears about the personal property tax on my regular car.Eric62 WhiteOn Apr 7, 2008, at 7:26 PM, slantflat wrote:

Quote:

> I'm in Stockbridge. I tried my best NOT to have to get a boat > registration. I called the DNR, told them what I had, told them I > already pay for license plates because after all it isn't a boat > it's a car, and they said sorry, if it goes on the water it has to > have a boat reg. They sent me a form and I filled it out. That was > a lot of years ago. I called it a 14ft inboard, don't remember what > hp I put, and I got a decal and reg number. No problems that I > remember.>> Where in Georgia?>>> Mike Clark> 64 Blue> Stockbridge, Georgia>>>>>>>> I am having trouble here in Georgia with obtaining a boat > registration.I was wondering if anyone else has had the same > problem?Are there any Amphicar owners in Georgia,who have had any > trouble getting a boat registration?I need to know if it considered > an inboard,inboard/outboard or other as far as propulsion.Any > advise will be appreciated.After being in a barn for the past > 30years,took it out for a test swim.Did very well.Now,I am in the > process of new paint.>> __________________________________________________ _______________> Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live > Messenger.> http://www.windowslive.com/messenger...r_video_042008>>

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
When I registered and titled mine a few years back, the main challenge is that both DMV and the boating equivalent in PA collect sales tax. Fortunately I found someone on the phone who knew what they were doing and I simply had to show that tax had already been paid. Still, just about every Amphi I have sen in use has BOTH automobile registration with licence plate on teh back, and boat registration with numbers on the side. In PA, the antique plate registration is forever so there is no annual fee. The boat registration is, if I recall correctly, $32 every three years.

PeterP

Wow. There are more Amphis in the Atlanta area than I thought. We may yet get to do the Lake Lanier swim in!

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
When registering an Amphicar as a boat just tell them it's a 14', gas powered inboard, steel hull, boat. Don't mention the car part at all.

R

Ron Green

Here in PA they try to tax you on both the car and boat portion, which can be expensive.

I got spoke with a higher up in the boat commission (found name thru website) and he was kind enough to send me a email that I used for the registration. Here you must pay the tax on the vehicle part, show proof, then they will issue a boat tag.

DON'T list amphi as over 14' or you are in a new set of rules and regulations.

EricM

Thanks for the advice. Glad to know its not going to be based on the presumed "value' of the cars.

I suspect you feel different about Chicago because you gre up here. I'm not a native and I hate the winter. Job has me moving there but it is my choice.

Eric

----- Original Message ----
To: e_mattlin@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2008 9:23:33 AM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19930] Boat Registration Problems for Amphicar in Georgia

ERIC DON'T DO IT! Stay in Chicago! I've lived here 11 years (grew up in Park Forest, worked at O'Hare, was downtown all the time) and still wish I could go back. Problem is my company doesn't have a job for me in Chicago.

For the Amphi and your other antique cars, you should get out under 50 each. The personal property tax will be about 4 bucks. Tag fee is 20, and you can get away with not transferring the title to save 18. In fact, the state of Georgia didn't title cars until 1963 so you wouldn't even be able to get a title for your 62 Amphi. I don't remember what the boat reg was, I don't buy one anymore because the lake that I live on is private and I don't need one. It wasn't a lot.

When are you due to be down here? Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Mike

I'm in the process of moving from Chicago to Atlanta. What does it cost for the car registration on an Amphi? i have three antique cars. I know I'll be in tears about the personal property tax on my regular car.Eric62 WhiteOn Apr 7, 2008, at 7:26 PM, slantflat wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

> I'm in Stockbridge. I tried my best NOT to have to get a boat > registration. I called the DNR, told them what I had, told them I > already pay for license plates because after all it isn't a boat > it's a car, and they said sorry, if it goes on the water it has to > have a boat reg. They sent me a form and I filled it out. That was > a lot of years ago. I called it a 14ft inboard, don't remember what > hp I put, and I got a decal and reg number. No problems that I > remember.>> Where in Georgia?>>> Mike Clark> 64 Blue> Stockbridge, Georgia>>>>>>>> I am having trouble here in Georgia with obtaining a boat > registration.I was wondering if anyone else has had the same > problem?Are there any Amphicar owners in Georgia,who have had any > trouble getting a boat registration?I need to know if it considered > an inboard,inboard/outboard or other as far as propulsion.Any > advise will be appreciated.After being in a barn for the past > 30years,took it out
for a test swim.Did very well.Now,I am in the > process of new paint.>> __________________________________________________ _______________> Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live > Messenger.> http://www.windowslive.com/messenger...r_video_042008>>

__________________________________________________ _______________
Get in touch in an instant. Get Windows Live Messenger now.
http://www.windowslive.com/messenger...intouch_042008

EricM

Only if it gets some more water. What part of town are you in? I'm looking in Decatur/Lakeside/Druid Hills.

Eric

----- Original Message ----
To: e_mattlin@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:20:45 AM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19930] Re: Boat Registration Problems for Amphicar in Georgia

Wow. There are more Amphis in the Atlanta area than I thought. We may yet get to do the Lake Lanier swim in!

auburnamphi

Went to the DMV,that was the easy part.I had to pay $25.00 manufacturing fee to have a personalized tag made.Once tag is made,will have to pay$25.00 annual special tag fee,annual tag fee,and vehicle ad valorem tax.I do not know what the tax will be until I pick-up the tag.
As far as the DNR,they told me that I would need to bring the car down to their office and they need to inspect it.I think they told me around $30.00 for a 3 year registration.
I did not realize that there were any other Amphicars around Atlanta.The idea of us getting together sounds like a good idea.All though I do not use Lake Lanier because it is way to busy. I use Lake Hartwell,It is a much prettier lake and not as many people on it.It is northeast of Atlanta on the Georgia/South Carolinia border.
Thanks to all who have posted messages,Georgia Amphicar owner let try and get together!!
Steve