Amphicar Insurance

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
David,

I can tell you from personal experience that Hagerty will cover you if you sink your Amphi due to stupidity or mechanical failure just as they would if your brakes failed or if you were yapping on a cell phone and drove into a tree.

It happened to me. Hagerty covered the recovery (although in this case it was not 100% underwater pulling it out of the river still took three trucks). They covered repair of just about any part that was water damaged be it interior, mechanical, or electrical. They did all this with zero hassle and continuously encouraged me to make sure everything was fixed properly. Had I been unethical, I could have had them replace even more stuff than they did.

And that is why I am such a Hagerty Insurance customer for life.

Mike

azpaul50

Somebudy mentioned a past claim.... wonder what that was about? I didn't bother filing a claim for that dent I did to the door while swimming the car a few months ago. The repair cost was less than my deductable anyway. These things don't really get damaged or sink all that much, do they?????? **azp dons life jacket at computer station**

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20154] Re: Amphicar Insurance
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:15:15 -0400

I do some work for a couple of International insurers and so have discussed this in detail with people who know.

Conclusion - I wouldn't get too hung up about water insurance.
The important thing is not to sink.
Whatever your documentation says it's unlikely an insurer such as Hagerty would ever pay if an Amphicar sunk due to weather/conditions/mechanical failure.
If it sunk due to damage by a third party and so there is potential for recovery then your insurers might decide to pursue a claim - in the same way as they would if someone drove into your ordinary car when it was parked on the dockside and pushed it in to the water.

It may be worth having a marine salvage policy in case you were to sink an Amphicar in deep water because salvage is often mandatory due to polution concerns and could be expensive.

If it went to law first words from your insurer would likely be:

"What we mean by water cover is a situation where your car might fall off a ferry - not a situation where you willfully DROVE your antique car it in to the water"

Think of the motives not to pay - a potential $50K plus claim against premiums from at max a few hundred Amphicar owners.

The answers is make sure it doesn't happen.
1. Repair the body properly
2. Fit water alarms (the smoke alarm think is detailed somewhere on amphicars.com)
3. At least 2 bilge pumps.
4. Don't take risks in water you don't know.

David C

DavidC

Amphicar Expert

> I can tell you from personal experience that Hagerty will cover you if you
> sink your Amphi do to stupidity or mechanical failure just as they would
> if your brakes failed or if you were yapping on a cell phone and drove
> into a tree.

Mike, you did well, that's a real surprise. Perhaps the claim was small
enough to slip under the radar or maybe the love the Hagerty family have for
Amphicars (that we talked of before) helped.

Whichever, it's good news - I'm insured with the UK arm of Hagerty -
hopefully will never need to test them.

David C