Sudden loss of power, looking for advice

dutchamphi

Proud Sponsor of the Amphicar Digest
My car doesn't accelerate anymore, as it used to do. Also there is a loss of power (max speed appr 50-60 mph). I also noticed a different "sort of hissing" noice that seems to be coming from the carb/manifold area. Has this been caused by a faulty caburettor gasket or could it be something else?

Robert de Vries

tpls63

Could be a gasket but check the vacuum hose at the back base of the carb first to see if it's leaking. Also try tightening the nuts a bit that hold the carb down.
Sounds like a vacuum leak with the loss of power at higher RPM's as the vacuum advance isn't advancing the spark as it should.

My car doesn't accelerate anymore, as it used to do. Also there is a loss of power (max speed appr 50-60 mph). I also noticed a different "sort of hissing" noice that seems to be coming from the carb/manifold area. Has this been caused by a faulty caburettor gasket or could it be something else?

Robert de Vries

dutchamphi

Proud Sponsor of the Amphicar Digest
Thanks Larry, it was a vacuum problem. The auto advance spring of the autoadvance unit in the distributor was unconnected. Refitting the spring has solved the problem.

Robert de Vries