Scam ???

peterboz

Hi there this what i found on internet a nice red one for a nice price ,does somebody knows this car / owner
13.jpg

Peter

peterboz

Of course difficult to say , but a friend of mine tried to buy it .
And when he said that he wanted to pick it up with its own transporter he did not get any reply anymore from the seller.
And the company that was recommended by the seller disapered from the internet.
The car should be located in the near to Washington and the sellers dad was the legal owner but he'd died.
Sellers name is Anita Brittain.
Does this ring a bell ??

If so let me know

Thanks Peter

Last edited:

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
I think you have your answer. If you, or someone you trust, can't see the car and / or complete the transaction in person it is almost certainly a scam. They are too busy, etc to meet you but will ship it for you, scam. Just tell him you can pick it up and pay for it any day this week or next. Watch him disappear or start spinning stories as he tries to get your deposit or payment .

Latitude33

Platinum Subscriber
This was a similar Scam just in the last month. The car was shown on line as a dealer in Upland, Ca. Once I emailed the "owner" I got the following emails. I then asked if I could have someone come see the car in Germany and that is when all communication stopped. This looked pretty authentic with a "DR. Peter" with a web site and phone number, etc..

The vehicle mentioned above also had a similar story. Car was shown to be in Texas on line then the "owner" responded that she was out of the country working and the car was in Washington and would ship the car anywhere in the US for free. Again when asked to come see the car all communication stopped.

If it's too good to be true it usually is a scam. The scam on this one is the third party "shipping company"

First email:

1964 - Amphicar Model 770 is still available for sale. Vehicle details bellow:

Vehicle Price: YOU HAVE THE PRICE AT THE EMAIL SUBJECT
Vehicle Mileage: 16,305
Vehicle Year: 1964
US$17,100.00

I am sorry for my late answer but I was out of town.The vehicle is still for sale. The price is correct and the vehicle is in perfect working state.The title is clear and it can be registered in any state without problems. Please e-mail me if you are interested to buy and please specify in which area are you located?
Thank you and I'm looking forward to hear from you soon. Attached you have more pictures with the vehicle.

Peter

Second email:

Good to hear back from you. You have to know this is a private sale.Before we can move further with our conversation you have to know the real thing about my vehicle (don't get me wrong please). I live in Germany, and the vehicle it's also located in Germany, Europe . I purchased it from US last year. Since we have some modified laws here regarding the vehicles that are coming from outside of European Union, is hard for me to register the vehicle here, and I think the best option for me now is to sell it back to US because the vehicle still has US title on it and I think will be much easy for the new owner with the registration process (will be just like a regular registration in your state). If you are still interested please let me know and is not necessary to reply back if you consider this is not a good deal for
you.

Thank you

Peter

Third email:

Thank you for your reply and I am sorry for my late answer but I think we are about 7 hours ahead of you. As I told you in my last email if you have decided to buy it we have to ship the vehicle to USA. This is not a problem because we can use the same shipping company that I used before when I took the vehicle from USA. The shipping cost will be paid by me. They can offer us a good service and there it's no effort from your side..They will deliver the vehicle at your location and also they will allowed you to check the vehicle before the deal is done.The delivery time will take around 20-25 days. There will be no money exchange between us, the money will be received by the shipping company after they will pick up the vehicle and the title from my house and they will be released to my account only after you check and test the vehicle . I think in this way we both can be safe. It's a good company with over 20 years experience in this domain . Please leave a phone number where I can call you so we can discuss better.

Hope I can hear from you soon.
Peter

Dr. Peter Ruter
Dental Clinic DentalMeds

Rungestraße 25
10179 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49 30 2794061
office@DentalMeds.com
www.dental-meds.com

photo (1).jpg photo (1).jpg

strandweiss62

This is not really typical for Germany that the majority of the staff is Latinos.
Interestingly, one can not change the language of the website to German.
Furthermore it lacks the proof of the owner and the privacy statement required in Germany, called "Impressum".

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
This is not really typical for Germany that the majority of the staff is Latinos.
Interestingly, one can not change the language of the website to German.
Furthermore it lacks the proof of the owner and the privacy statement required in Germany, called "Impressum".

But they did graduate from the prestigious "Medical University" and "Medical Academy"

Looks like they are hosted on NameCheap.com. I did report the site to abuse@namecheap.com