Resto guidlines/Original Amphicars

• Thread starter capon23@aol.com
  • Start date
C

capon23@aol.com

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
The great part of this group is all the fun we have together, just being togetherdoing our thing in water, on land,at meets..And that's whatI love too.

Man, If I had to have a perfect car, I would have to wash it all the time.. Ron Green will tell you that's not my bag!!!

But I would love to see a handful of the best of the best maybe in Celina... Just seeing the perfect car does something to me...You will always have collectors that will not put their cars in water once they restore them. So why not give them the avenue to show them off and maybe establish a trueshow winner...

CIGARMAN</font>

C

capon23@aol.com

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
The great part of this group is all the fun we have together, just being togetherdoing our thing in water, on land,at meets..And that's whatI love too.

Man, If I had to have a perfect car, I would have to wash it all the time.. Ron Green will tell you that's not my bag!!!

But I would love to see a handful of the best of the best maybe in Celina... Just seeing the perfect car does something to me...You will always have collectors that will not put their cars in water once they restore them. So why not give them the avenue to show them off and maybe establish a trueshow winner...

CIGARMAN</font>

M

Michael Echemann

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" bgColor="#ffffff">
<font face="Arial" size="2">
That 77 mile car John mentioned was mine.I also have another NOSwhite Amphi which came from the same stock. If anyone saves their Old Cars Weekly's look at the Nov. 11th 2004 copy and you will find an article covering the discovery of these two truly new Amphicars. John, possibly you could add this article somewhere in the club website so it will be available for members to read. Maybe Ed Price would want to include it in the newsletter too. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font><font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">I'm not really into all the concourse stuff.With the limited availability of NOS parts getting most cars close to this condition would be difficult at best.</font><font face="Arial" size="2">I had the national best of show award winning 69 AMC AMX in the mid 80's and know first hand that this type of detail is not easy.After putting that kind of sweat equity into an Amphicar from scratch few if any owners would ever want to put the car on the road or in the water again. Maybe just a nice resto guide etc.would benice. Real details will require more than old photo's because you have to be certain. That means youhave to know the car first and begin there. I would make my cars available but don't think I have the patients personally.Cap'n John could do it well, Dave theWave has tons of knowledge aswell as others.Hugh Gordon of course would be great since he knows more about these cars than all of us put together probably.</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font><font face="Arial" size="2"></font><font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">To me it takes the fun out of things. Owners don't seem to be happy campers anymore when they try to be to perfect.I love the happiness I see when Amphi owners just have funwith our cars. There are tons of very nice amphi's out there today but very few that would stand up toeven mildjudging.I don't think it matters too much with Amphicars.</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">If the club does it however I'll provide any information you want. Until then if anyone simply must know some odd gory detail like theplacement, length or color of a wire or heaven forbid the length of an original tire nub. Let me know and I'll try and help.</font>
<blockquote style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<div style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black">From: a_colo_native
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 7:25 PM
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Resto guidlines

<div id="ygrp-text">

I have a large library of thousands of Amphi photos (probably the
largest anywhere) that I have been looking at for a long time with
this very thing in mind. Sadly I missed seeing the 77 mile green car
that sold a couple years ago. I still may try to get to it to
photograph it in detail. I have a very nice early survivor car that
I will use as well. It will need to be partially disassembled to get
the shots that will be needed. It is something that not only should
be done, but will get done eventually.

We love our Amphicars, but with so many people out there ignorant to
what is correct and what is not are unknowingly putting people in
danger. The red one on eBay would not float for 2 minutes w/o it's
door seals. Imagine an unknowing family with children who think it's
safe, load up and drive into a lake. There would not be enough time
to get it out of the water before it sank even if the driver kept
their calm. That my friends is life threatening ignorance for $50+k.

The BJ car is nice no doubt, but NOT correct as advertised. Nothing
huge, but a few small things. Incorrect none the less. There needs
to be some documentation done for those who want it. I am not saying
anything but a correct car is best. I am saying if you want a
correct car, where do you go to find out wire routing, correct
colors, what gets what type of seal, correct screws for each
application etc? I answer these questions a lot as I am sure Hugh
and the others do as well.

I will make it a project for my time as Prez. Maybe a simple page
will show up soon on the members only section? Hummm....

John Bevins
Prez/Webmaster

</blockquote>

M

Michael Echemann

<table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" bgColor="#ffffff">
<font face="Arial" size="2">
That 77 mile car John mentioned was mine.I also have another NOSwhite Amphi which came from the same stock. If anyone saves their Old Cars Weekly's look at the Nov. 11th 2004 copy and you will find an article covering the discovery of these two truly new Amphicars. John, possibly you could add this article somewhere in the club website so it will be available for members to read. Maybe Ed Price would want to include it in the newsletter too. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font><font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">I'm not really into all the concourse stuff.With the limited availability of NOS parts getting most cars close to this condition would be difficult at best.</font><font face="Arial" size="2">I had the national best of show award winning 69 AMC AMX in the mid 80's and know first hand that this type of detail is not easy.After putting that kind of sweat equity into an Amphicar from scratch few if any owners would ever want to put the car on the road or in the water again. Maybe just a nice resto guide etc.would benice. Real details will require more than old photo's because you have to be certain. That means youhave to know the car first and begin there. I would make my cars available but don't think I have the patients personally.Cap'n John could do it well, Dave theWave has tons of knowledge aswell as others.Hugh Gordon of course would be great since he knows more about these cars than all of us put together probably.</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font><font face="Arial" size="2"></font><font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">To me it takes the fun out of things. Owners don't seem to be happy campers anymore when they try to be to perfect.I love the happiness I see when Amphi owners just have funwith our cars. There are tons of very nice amphi's out there today but very few that would stand up toeven mildjudging.I don't think it matters too much with Amphicars.</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">If the club does it however I'll provide any information you want. Until then if anyone simply must know some odd gory detail like theplacement, length or color of a wire or heaven forbid the length of an original tire nub. Let me know and I'll try and help.</font>
<blockquote style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<div style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black">From: a_colo_native
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 7:25 PM
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Resto guidlines

<div id="ygrp-text">

I have a large library of thousands of Amphi photos (probably the
largest anywhere) that I have been looking at for a long time with
this very thing in mind. Sadly I missed seeing the 77 mile green car
that sold a couple years ago. I still may try to get to it to
photograph it in detail. I have a very nice early survivor car that
I will use as well. It will need to be partially disassembled to get
the shots that will be needed. It is something that not only should
be done, but will get done eventually.

We love our Amphicars, but with so many people out there ignorant to
what is correct and what is not are unknowingly putting people in
danger. The red one on eBay would not float for 2 minutes w/o it's
door seals. Imagine an unknowing family with children who think it's
safe, load up and drive into a lake. There would not be enough time
to get it out of the water before it sank even if the driver kept
their calm. That my friends is life threatening ignorance for $50+k.

The BJ car is nice no doubt, but NOT correct as advertised. Nothing
huge, but a few small things. Incorrect none the less. There needs
to be some documentation done for those who want it. I am not saying
anything but a correct car is best. I am saying if you want a
correct car, where do you go to find out wire routing, correct
colors, what gets what type of seal, correct screws for each
application etc? I answer these questions a lot as I am sure Hugh
and the others do as well.

I will make it a project for my time as Prez. Maybe a simple page
will show up soon on the members only section? Hummm....

John Bevins
Prez/Webmaster

</blockquote>

L

lah20car@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 1/4/2007 9:35:06 PM Central Standard Time, echemike@sbcglobal.net writes:

<blockquote TYPE="CITE" style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></font><font COLOR="#ff0000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I'm not really into all the concourse stuff.

To me it takes the fun out of things. Owners don't seem to be happy campers anymore when they try to be to perfect.??I love the happiness I see when Amphi owners just have fun?with our cars.</blockquote></font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="3" PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">________________________________________________________</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

Amen

That pretty much says it for me too---but there are folks that like to be perfect or have the best of whatever they are into and that's OK too, it's not a good thing when it goes to such an extreme, that they then won't use their cars, or heaven forbid, going in the water.

Here's an idea----for those that would want one of those "Amphicar Originality Ratings," they could bring the car to Celina, have it inspected, not judged then given a rating in percentage of originality. Off the top of my head I would give a car still in the shipping container, with 5 miles and never driven after shipping a 100% rating and work down from there. Mikes cars would probably get a 98-99% rating, and to me that's about the only cars out there deserving a 100K+ price.

Another idea--to get one of these ratings will be a lot of work and time away from other more Amphibian like endeavors, so these folks need to be compensated for their time and the fees split 50-50 with the club. With one of these certificates the auction houses and dealers on Ebay could make an honest claim that so and so car is one of the finest or better than the last one that sold for x amount. Now to separate the wheelers and dealers from the regular club members there would need to be two classes of certificates, one for personal satisfaction and one for commercial use, with a gold seal on a piece of paper that would stay with the car, be shown and used in the auction or sale. Since the club now owns the amphicar trademark it may tie in with that. Of course the Gold Seal Certificate would cost more. To do all this will be a lot of trouble, hence the monetary compensation.

On a lighter note----- I only have two guess's on the sailing price of the BJ car, one for 102K and one for 80K----pick a number folks, any number and you could win a Celina t shirt.

Today, I think its time to wash my Amphicar, a one of a kind, original Big Horn Edition, only one made, lets see, river is up so that water will be too muddy, so I guess its off to the lake.

Maybe if enough board members and knowledgeable folks are at Mt. Dora there could be a trial run on the Originality thingy.

</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="3" PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

</font>

L

lah20car@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 1/4/2007 9:35:06 PM Central Standard Time, echemike@sbcglobal.net writes:

<blockquote TYPE="CITE" style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></font><font COLOR="#ff0000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I'm not really into all the concourse stuff.

To me it takes the fun out of things. Owners don't seem to be happy campers anymore when they try to be to perfect.??I love the happiness I see when Amphi owners just have fun?with our cars.</blockquote></font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="3" PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">________________________________________________________</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

Amen

That pretty much says it for me too---but there are folks that like to be perfect or have the best of whatever they are into and that's OK too, it's not a good thing when it goes to such an extreme, that they then won't use their cars, or heaven forbid, going in the water.

Here's an idea----for those that would want one of those "Amphicar Originality Ratings," they could bring the car to Celina, have it inspected, not judged then given a rating in percentage of originality. Off the top of my head I would give a car still in the shipping container, with 5 miles and never driven after shipping a 100% rating and work down from there. Mikes cars would probably get a 98-99% rating, and to me that's about the only cars out there deserving a 100K+ price.

Another idea--to get one of these ratings will be a lot of work and time away from other more Amphibian like endeavors, so these folks need to be compensated for their time and the fees split 50-50 with the club. With one of these certificates the auction houses and dealers on Ebay could make an honest claim that so and so car is one of the finest or better than the last one that sold for x amount. Now to separate the wheelers and dealers from the regular club members there would need to be two classes of certificates, one for personal satisfaction and one for commercial use, with a gold seal on a piece of paper that would stay with the car, be shown and used in the auction or sale. Since the club now owns the amphicar trademark it may tie in with that. Of course the Gold Seal Certificate would cost more. To do all this will be a lot of trouble, hence the monetary compensation.

On a lighter note----- I only have two guess's on the sailing price of the BJ car, one for 102K and one for 80K----pick a number folks, any number and you could win a Celina t shirt.

Today, I think its time to wash my Amphicar, a one of a kind, original Big Horn Edition, only one made, lets see, river is up so that water will be too muddy, so I guess its off to the lake.

Maybe if enough board members and knowledgeable folks are at Mt. Dora there could be a trial run on the Originality thingy.

</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="3" PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

</font>

L

larry depasquale

Cigar Man, You are right on! I have not had the time
to finish my car, but it is in the lake every chance I
get. I would also like to see perfect cars at Celina.

Larry
White 66 in Ohio

--- capon23@aol.com wrote:

> The great part of this group is all the fun we have
> together, just being
> together doing our thing in water, on land, at
> meets..And that's what I love
> too.
>
> Man, If I had to have a perfect car, I would have to
> wash it all the time..
> Ron Green will tell you that's not my bag!!!
>
> But I would love to see a handful of the best of the
> best maybe in Celina...
> Just seeing the perfect car does something to me...
> You will always have
> collectors that will not put their cars in water
> once they restore them. So why
> not give them the avenue to show them off and maybe
> establish a true show
> winner...
>
> CIGARMAN
>

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

L

larry depasquale

Cigar Man, You are right on! I have not had the time
to finish my car, but it is in the lake every chance I
get. I would also like to see perfect cars at Celina.

Larry
White 66 in Ohio

--- capon23@aol.com wrote:

> The great part of this group is all the fun we have
> together, just being
> together doing our thing in water, on land, at
> meets..And that's what I love
> too.
>
> Man, If I had to have a perfect car, I would have to
> wash it all the time..
> Ron Green will tell you that's not my bag!!!
>
> But I would love to see a handful of the best of the
> best maybe in Celina...
> Just seeing the perfect car does something to me...
> You will always have
> collectors that will not put their cars in water
> once they restore them. So why
> not give them the avenue to show them off and maybe
> establish a true show
> winner...
>
> CIGARMAN
>

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com