Question for the group on heater and fuel lines

C

capon23@aol.com

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
It sounds like a good idea if you want to do the work, my only concern is now you have 4 new clamps and 4 new leak areas.

I use aircraft quality hoses for the heater and braided gashose. Some of the cars still have the original hoses on them, not that I wouldn't change them out, but 40+ years of history shows that hosesthe length of the car seem to be fine.

My thought is anything you can doto make the car better DO IT!!!

Cigarman</font>

<font style="color: black; font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><hr style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px">See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.</font>

C

canitfloat

Hello, My Amphicar is now an empty shell and as I am getting things
together for reassembly I keep thinking that I really dislike the idea
of running rubber heater hoses and fuel hoses the length of the bilge
where I cannot see them. So, I would like to solder some copper pipe
together and attach to the frame with rubber mounts and hose barbs on
the ends for connecting short hoses to the heater and engine piping.
Then for the fuel line a length of stainless tubing also mounted with
rubber mounts. Can anyone think of any problems I could have by doing
this. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

D

Douglas Klink

The big problem with copper is metal fatigue. It gets brittle after it work
hardens.

All stainless lines would solve that problem.

M

Mike Israel

Re: Re:Question for the group on heater and fuel lines

<table><div style="font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:12pt"><div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">Many people are still running with the original 40 year old rubber lines. I really do not think they are an area of concern even when lying in the oily bilge. Change them out every 20 years and you should be good to go!
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">

D

dave woods

HiJack The plumbers in my area are now using plastic for all domestic hot and cold water lines-even the big stuff (2inch). I was told that there is a high temp grade, the stuff is called Pex , thats what they refer to it as anyway. It has a rated life of somthing like 100 years- real durable. They claim its much better than the copper they have been fighting with for years. I plan to try it out for waterlines if the temp. is high enough rating Thanks again for the Taunton Video Dave Woods Charlton Mass. 1967 N.Y. Blue (under construction)
jack howland <canitfloat@yahoo.com> wrote: <blockquote class="replbq" style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"> <div id="ygrp-text"> Hi David, I appreciate your thoughts on my question. I will go ahead and order a stainless fuel linefrom the place that Iordered a complete set of stainless brake lines from. Maybe something else better than copper would work for the heater plumbing....<wbr>brass tubing? PVC hot water piping? Stainless would be too expensive and I would think the oil rated heater hose would be costly also, but I will have to check. I was wondering about the water bleed tap, if it was really needed and if itcan be removed without any problems so you answered my question before I asked it on that. Thanks, jack

David Chapman <david@manbus.<wbr>com> wrote: <blockquote class="replbq" style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"> <div id="ygrp-text"> <font face="Arial" size="2">In the UK you have to use copper for the fuel line to get a boat licence so as you describe with rubber mounted P clips is good (although you should
really havea different tank with all connectors on top for max safety)</font> <font face="Arial" size="2"></font> <font face="Arial" size="2">For water hoses just use the oil rated stuff, a bit more expensive but they are fine in the bilge - mine still look good as new and have been there for 20 years. One mod I always do is remove the control tap for the heater - it can leak and/or stick - and it is a bit pointless, you don't get any heat from the heater unless the electric fan is working as there is no airflow through it. You can then use the dash knob to control a second bilge pump. </font> <font face="Arial" size="2"></font> <font face="Arial" size="2">David C</font> <font face="Arial" size="2"></font> </blockquote>
<hr SIZE="1"> Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. </blockquote>

<hr size="1">Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos &; more.

D

Douglas Klink

Most Pex tubing is only good to about 130F. There may be some higher but
that is what the stuff we use for in floor heat is rated anyway. There is
some other plastic used for baseboard heat that must be good to over 200F
but I don't know what it is.

B

Bill Connelly

Re: Re:Question for the group on heater and fuel lines

<table bgColor="#c8e0d8" background="">
<font size="2">For what it's worth, a company called Pexsupply.com at http://www.pexsupply.com/sells a variety of PEX and PEX-metal composite tubings. From what I can tell of the various specifications for the different varieties available, it seems that the temperature ratings are inversely related to what kind of pressure they are under (e.g. one type that is good to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, or just short of boiling, at 80 pounds per square inch is only good to 180 degrees at 100 pounds pressure per square inch, and so on). The highest overall temperature-pressure rating seems to be for the "Mr. Pex"PEX-Aluminum-PEX composite tubing at 200 degrees at 100 pounds per square inch.This "Mr. Pex" brand also has what might be a desirable characteristic for Amphicar use in its "thermal memory", in thatonceit is moved into a certain shape, it will hold that shape. </font>
<font size="2"></font>
<font size="2">Of course, having only ever just heard of this PEX stuff, I am no expert on it. The very best thing for those considering its use in their Amphis might be to give the Pexsupply.com techfolks a call at 1-888-757-4774or to contact them through the live chat feature on their website (see upper right). Apart from the pressure-temperature ratings, which make it seem like anytype of this stuffcould handily serve asan Amphi heater hose, I would probably askabout the stuff's resistance to gasoline and oil.</font>
<font size="2"></font>
<font size="2">Regards,</font>
<font size="2">~Bilgey~</font>
<font size="2"></font>
<font size="2">----- Original Message -----
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 9:30 PM
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Re:Question for the group on heater and fuel lines

Most Pex tubing is only good to about 130F. There may be some higher but
that is what the stuff we use for in floor heat is rated anyway. There is
some other plastic used for baseboard heat that must be good to over 200F
but I don't know what it is.