Ignition/Wiring Issue - Any Ideas?

Stephen Motzko

Platinum Subscriber
Thanks @SNOWBIRD I have replaced the starter solenoid and a picture is attached. I know the connection to the back one is good as I have checked the line between the starter solenoid and the back junction and that to the front connector up behind the ignition switch and they are OK. It makes me think the problem is up front. When this started, the car was in having brakes redone and wheel bearings packed, but I can't think of a connection at the wheels that would be suspect.

Attachments

jfriese

I found some photos of the last time I did one of these terminal changes. It was before Gordon's came out with the exact replacement for the terminal blocks but the photos show the before and after. Even the terminals that don't look too bad in the before photo had several broken elements that just don't show in the photos.

Before 1

Before 2

After 1

After 2

The whole job would look even better with Gordon's new connector block.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Stephen Motzko

Platinum Subscriber
Thanks John, I think now that the problem is up with the two relays in the front related to the blower... here is a Pic of my back redo of those connections, needless to say a work in progress; more connections will be "refreshed".19062501.JPG19062501.JPG

jfriese

My experience with the three cars I restored did not find a problem with those relays, but cleaning and burnishing the contacts is easy to do and you can repaint the lids while you're there to make things look better. Being involved with electronics all my life I had never seen that type of female contact fail the way those in the Amphicar did, and just how intermittent they can be. Good luck. I'm sure you'll get things running right.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Last edited: