HUGH?

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
My 1st meeting with Hugh was after I finished my 1st Amphicar.
He said how could I do that without talking and getting parts from him?
I said I am a Mechanic!
Them we talked for hours and hours on my tab.
Great Friend!

Hugh.JPG

Last edited:

jfriese

Hi,

The problem is not with Hugh. He's lost a bunch of weight and said he was in good shape but wanted to lose still more weight. It's Jeani who took a nasty fall up at their Michigan summer house and broke enough stuff that she has been recovering up there for some time.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Last edited:

Ed Howard

TO ALL OF OUR AMPHICAR FAMILY:

We regret to inform you that our beloved Hugh Shirrefs Gordon, Jr. passed away on October 1, 2015, from an acute heart attack. We will truly miss his wit, insight, stories, and vision for the Amphicar. He always felt so fortunate that he was able to keep his dream (the Amphicar) alive, and was constantly working on solutions for it. His ashes were placed near his favorite lake in Michigan.

Gordon Imports, Inc., will endeavor to carry on his legacy of dedication to the Amphicar. We appreciate all your love, friendship, and support. Hugh is survived by his wife, Jeani, and his two brothers, Bob and Alex.

In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to a charity of your choice.

jfriese

I had talked to Hugh in early September for about an hour and a half. Not an unusual amount of time for my calls with him over the years. Some have been twice that long. He said he was a bit lonely because Jeani had been in therapy for a long time. I hadn't talked to him during the summer because I was a bit sick myself. I called him again on Sept 21 and chatted for almost another hour. He sounded fine. Actually, I never have heard of him having any heart problem. The gang at Gordon Imports talked to him the day before his death and all said he sounded fine to them too. I just found out that he died while shopping at some store on the morning of Oct. 1. He was walking through the store and suddenly dropped.

I guess we all should learn to make the most of the time we have.

John Friese

I met Hugh about 30 years ago at an intersection in MI, because his cottage was hard to find. I didn't know Hugh, but he knew I would recognize an Amphicar. I was with my ex-wife and I was driving an SUV. Hugh immediately said, "Ride with me, you have got to experience this 1500", so I got in. My ex tried to keep up with us. No way! The twisty road was tree lined, and Hugh was driving his Amphi like it was a Ferrari. Seriously, 4 wheel drifts! It was absolutely nuts. I was terrified, I truly thought for the first time in my life that I was really going to die! At the time I was a skilled driver of European sports cars, so I knew. I asked him to slow down, but he said, "Don't worry, I know what I am doing, plus I have radials!" Miraculously, we didn't spin out and hit a tree. I'm not a betting man, but I would have bet on it.

Anyway, Hugh, I thank you for all you did. Without you, my life would be very different! I would not have just gotten back from a great Amphicar swim-in in Las Vegas. I wouldn't have owned many Amphicars in my lifetime. I probably would not have owned one if it wasn't for you! Who would buy a car that is amphibious that you can't get parts for? Hugh, thanks again! I will be one of the hundreds that will really miss you.

Rob

Rob,

Great story! I also had that same exact experience with Hugh. We vistied the cottage at Glen Lake one summer and I helped Hugh install that 1500 with Webbers into the red car he kept up there. When finished, we took that same harrowing ride through the twisties at a high rate of speed. My concern at that time was the fact that Hugh had ongoing trouble with his eyesight. We later took a test drive in the water where the prop threw a fin and we zigged and zagged all the way home. He was fearless but we had a great time.

Mark

Rob,

Great story! I also had that same exact experience with Hugh. We vistied the cottage at Glen Lake one summer and I helped Hugh install that 1500 with Webbers into the red car he kept up there. When finished, we took that same harrowing ride through the twisties at a high rate of speed. My concern at that time was the fact that Hugh had ongoing trouble with his eyesight. We later took a test drive in the water where the prop threw a fin and we zigged and zagged all the way home. He was fearless but we had a great time.

Mark
Lets talk. Call me, 219-405-1241