Heater and Defrost Cables

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
I'm getting ready to install new heater and defrost cables in my Amphicar and have a question about knob position under dashboard. Which knob/cable goes in left position and which in the right? Mine were removed when I bought the Amphicar, so I don't have anything to go by. Owners manual doesn't indicate which knob is which.:032:
Thanks,
Ted

jfriese

Ted,

Mine have the defroster control on the left, the fan power switch in the center and the heater water control valve on the right.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
John,
You have the late model Amphicars with I believe the heater over the wheel well area. Can anyone with an early early car like mine with the heater underneath the fuel tank confirm the switch/cable position??
Amphicar repair manual says that left knob controls the heater and right knob controls the cock(valve for hot water), however drawing at front of section 9 in the repair manual shows knobs/cables hooked up just opposite!!!
Thanks,
Ted

LSolheim

Ted, both MetalBeast (early '64) and Amphi ('66) have/had the heater under
the fuel tank and are/were setup as John pointed out. Defrost/heat flapper
on left, fan in center & water valve (which I always leave on to add that
little bit of coolant into circulation) on the right.

Sounds like you are doing a top-notch job!

--Larry

Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:26 AM
To: lrsnpark@gmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20211] Re: Heater and Defrost
Cables

John,
You have the late model Amphicars with I believe the heater over the wheel
well area. Can anyone with an early early car like mine with the heater
underneath the fuel tank confirm the switch/cable position??
Amphicar repair manual says that left knob controls the heater and right
knob controls the cock(valve for hot water), however drawing at front of
section 9 in the repair manual shows knobs/cables hooked up just opposite!!!
Thanks,
Ted

jfriese

Ted,

Although both of my cars were titled as 1967, one is a very late car with the heater on the fender and the other is an earlier car with the undertank heater. Both have the controls laid out as I described.

John Friese
67White
67 Red

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
John brings up a great example of how the titled year of an Amphicar may not mean a lot. It was common practice in the 1960's for many states to title a vehicle in the year it was sold rather than the year of production.