Front License Plate Bracket

azpaul50

My wife recently sought to buy a front license plate bracket for our Amphi and was told that the brackets were for Euro tags and wouldn't accommodate U.S. plates. Meanwhile, my Amphi has an original 1-piece type bumper that already has 2 holes in it from some past bracket installation. I'd really like to cover those holes with something like another bracket and front plate. The holes, however, aren't symmetrically placed on the bumper with neither offset the same distance from the peak of the bow. they are 7 5/16" apart. Has anyone else encountered this and has anyone found a finished bracket that works well? I could fabricate some sort of angle iron thing but was hoping someone had come up with a nice looking solution. I see a lot of front plates in pictures but can't discern what the brackets would look like. Thanks. - azpaul50

azpaul50

Okay! Got the bumper and mainmounts adjusted but the holes are still off but better. Whatcha got for a bracket? If it has enough slack in mounting, we're home!

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
When I get well enough I will take a pic of my front licence plate holders.
I take a pc. of 1 inch alum, and bolt it across the bottom from black bracket to other black bracket. in the middle I twist it 90 deg and drill 2 holes for plate.
I also make a alum plate the same size as the lic. plate and put it behind it to stiffen it up.

LSolheim

I had pictures attached, Paul, but attachments are not allowed. I'll see if
I can post them on-site. --Larry

Paul, I simply use a piece of 1/8 x 1-1/2 x 1-1/2" aluminum angle that is 1"
shorter than the license plate (1/2" per side). You can drill the bumper
mounting holes to match the existing holes in the bumper to insure the
bracket is centered and square. I drilled the face holes to match the
license plate and use a 1" piece of 1/2 x 1/2 " closed cell adhesive foam at
the top center of the plate to keep if off of the bow. Simple, easy,
inexpensive & looks pretty good, too.

Good luck,

--Larry

Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:27 PM
To: lrsnpark@gmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20208] Re: Front License Plate
Bracket

Okay! Got the bumper and mainmounts adjusted but the holes are still off but
better. Whatcha got for a bracket? If it has enough slack in mounting, we're
home!

Attachments

• Brkt2.JPG
    Brkt2.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Brkt1.JPG
    Brkt1.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 32

LSolheim

Paul, I simply use a piece of 1/8 x 1-1/2 x 1-1/2” aluminum angle that is 1” shorter than the license plate (1/2” per side). You can drill the bumper mounting holes to match the existing holes in the bumper to insure the bracket is centered and square. I drilled the face holes to match the license plate and use a 1” piece of 1/2 x 1/2 “ closed cell adhesive foam at the top center of the plate to keep if off of the bow. Simple, easy, inexpensive & looks pretty good, too.

Attachments

• Brkt1.JPG
    Brkt1.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Brkt2.JPG
    Brkt2.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 49

jfriese

Hi Paul,

I just don't use a front plate, even though they are a requirement in California. I don't want to deal with anything more up front and the possibility of it scratching the front paint. These cars are cute enough that I get a "pass" from all the police on this.

John Friese

azpaul50

Gord - I'd definitely be interested as I am the world's worst metalsmith myself. By the way, I know crashing sucks. As a crewmember, I went down in a Marine HH-1K in 1971 on the Laguna Beach approach greenbelt going into MCAS El Toro. At impact we knocked the skids up through the deck and rolled over with no fire. (I was covered in pink hyd fluid). Only one broken bone among our crew of four but that sinking feeling going in is still with me even today. Get well, amigo! - azpaul50

To: azpaul50@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20208] Re: Front License Plate BracketDate: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:38:52 -0400From:

When I get well enough I will take a pic of my front licence plate holders.I take a pc. of 1 inch alum, and bolt it across the bottom from black bracket to other black bracket. in the middle I twist it 90 deg and drill 2 holes for plate.I also make a alum plate the same size as the lic. plate and put it behind it to stiffen it up.

azpaul50

Yeah.... I've placed it there to see what clearance there is and it apparently the original holes were for some rig that pushed the plate forward or maybe those lower, wider Euro plates? I'd still like to use a plate there... *lol* that's why they call 'em "vanity" plates, eh? You've got that stylin', deluxe Amphi... *lol*... as you might have gathered from my past commentary, mine is a little less than "pristine." Always glad to hear your valued opinion, John! It may turn out that I'll go without one but like that gage, it'll have to wait. We're finally under 100 deg here so it's car and motorcycle show time until Veterans Day. - azpaul50 of the Western Amphi Fleet (now in replenishment)

To: azpaul50@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20208] Re: Front License Plate BracketDate: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:20:16 -0400From:

Hi Paul,I just don't use a front plate, even though they are a requirement in California. I don't want to deal with anything more up front and the possibility of it scratching the front paint. These cars are cute enough that I get a "pass" from all the police on this.John Friese

PeterP

We're finally under 100 deg here so it's car and motorcycle show time until Veterans Day.

Bah! I'm still waiting on Bike Bandit to ship me the rest of the parts to get my motorcycle running again. Also, just for the record, I hate balancing carbs.

Here in Wisconsin, they require a front plate which I have never installed. I have not been pulled over for this either, but could probably talk my way out of any trouble.

Jackie

A front plate is also required in NY .
I do not have a plate on my Amphicar, as I do not want to drill holes in my
car.
I keep my front plate on my dash board, secured down
with blue painters masking tape. It is very visible.
I was told that the cops might stop me out of curiosity, but would most
likely not give me a ticket.
So far so good !
1966 RED Jackie Luellen, Fairport, NY ( on the canal )
**************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.
Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)

azpaul50

Actually, Arizona only requires a rear plate but gives you two when you order vanity plates. I would just like to have it on there. I think I have something in mind for a bracket based on the great advice from everyone. Thank you!

To: azpaul50@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20208] Re: Front License Plate BracketDate: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 14:07:27 -0400From:

Here in Wisconsin, they require a front plate which I have never installed. I have not been pulled over for this either, but could probably talk my way out of any trouble.

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
I know Bill Bilgemeister is - but is anyone else ?

I have a question !

David C
david at manbus dot com

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
OK, that didn't work, still can't create new messages by email - I'll find my details and log on to the forum and try that.

David C

----- Original Message -----
To: david@manbus.com
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 1:48 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20208] Front License Plate Bracket

I know Bill Bilgemeister is - but is anyone else ?

I have a question !

David C
david at manbus dot com