Door Seal Question?

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
:032:Which way do the door seals fit onto the driver and Passenger door? Lip out as in picture one or lip in as in picture 2? I'm guessing door #1 is correct, but would rather have an answer from someone that knows for sure.
My doors had no seals when I bought the car and the previous owner had taped the outside of doors with duct tape for his one and only swim.
Thanks,
Ted

Attachments

• Door seal 001.jpg
    Door seal 001.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Door seal 002.jpg
    Door seal 002.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 63
R

Ron Green

The picture on the left is correct.

Prior to installing these critical seals I allow the paint to cure, lightly sand (tooth) both the rubber and paint area where the rubber attaches to, pre-fit the seal to make sure all is well, clean both the seal and area glue will adhere to with lacquer thinner on a clean rag, use yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive (new formula is ok as old formula is getting hard to find), start at the top and work your way around being careful not to stretch the rubber in the corners, apply strips of decent masking tape on the corners, etc to make sure the seal remains in place, shut the door if mounted. Allow to cure at least 24 hours and remove the tape.

Good luck!

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
Pic on the Left is correct...
Do not glue in till you do the paper test to make sure it is a tight fit all the way around, if there is loose spots use a fill material behind this rubber in that area.GORD

jwillia

How do you do the paper test ? Thanks Jeff

To: jeffreyd_7@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20363] Re: Door Seal Question?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:25:16 -0400

Pic on the Left is correct...
Do not glue in till you do the paper test to make sure it is a tight fit all the way around, if there is loose spots use a fill material behind this rubber in that area.GORD

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Gord,
How do you get this seal to stay in place for a paper test if it is not already glued to door?
Thanks,
Ted

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
I do not know where You got seal, but I know Your picky. Some aftermarket is too stiff = bouncy= hard to close door. Use an easy to remove glue or just tape for trial. Later Dave the Wave