Car won't start

MAE

Amphicar Expert
Having issues getting power to the coil. The ignition switch has power to and from. The car will start when I direct current to the coil. It looks like I have power to the bilge blower but suspect nothing from the bilge blower to the coil. Does anyone have any suggestions. I'm assuming the coil gets power via the blower once it times out or is bypassed. I can only assume that the one or both of the blower relays could have gone bad. The blower works as as it should and can be bypassed with the button or will time out. Thanks, Mike

Mike,
I actually had the same thing happen to me this year.
I had power to the starting button (solenoid) but not from the ignition switch. I ended up bypassing the blower system after pulling the relays apart not finding anything wrong. Replaced a bunch of parts trying to isolate the issue.
Wiring goes to back junction block near the muffler, then to the coil with the green wire. You will have to remove engine cover to get to those wires, but that could be where the issue is. That is a place corrosion and loose connections can cause trouble.
I ended up running a new wire from the 2 wire junction block behind the new ignition switch back to the 12 place junction block (also replaced these) by the muffler and then to the new solenoid.
My problem was probably caused by something different than yours, but the result was the same. That finally solved my problem along with some help and advice.
Hope this helps.
Mark

MAE

Amphicar Expert
Thanks Mark, As it turned out I did have power to the blower and once I bypassed the blower had power to the junction by ignition switch. Somewhere between there and the rear connections there was an issue with the wire. I ran a new wire to behind the muffler and had a power to the coil again. As you know not much room to work with on these cars. Always thought it would have been a good idea for Amphicar to push that rear junction a little more out and not right around the corner back there.
Head on down to Celina this week. I'll buy the first cold one.
Thanks for the tips,
Mike

Mike,
Ok, I will see you on Friday in Celina. I will tell you the rest of the story about how I got myself into that electrical issue that I knew the answer to. Took me weeks to finally figure mine out only to put engine cover back on to find back pole light not working. One more time taking the engine cover off and back on did the trick. Thanks to John Bevins for his electrical manual and help along the way!
See you there!
Mark

RalphF

Mike,
Ok, I will see you on Friday in Celina. I will tell you the rest of the story about how I got myself into that electrical issue that I knew the answer to. Took me weeks to finally figure mine out only to put engine cover back on to find back pole light not working. One more time taking the engine cover off and back on did the trick. Thanks to John Bevins for his electrical manual and help along the way!
See you there!
Mark
When I took my engine cover off and put it back on, I didn't know my pole light didn't work after. Not until the first night in Celina!
I had simply plugged the pole light into the wrong slip on connector on the 2 prong block. I do not have a license plate light hooked up so it was easy to mess up in the darkness under the cover.