Hot No Start Fix

BrianF

Hi
I had great intentions on upgrading the engine this year but social distancing has me grounded. So I'm over doing my service this year. replacing seals, wheel cylinders, and painting things as I go. Since I have a little time on my hands these days I want to fix the hot start problem I often have. Car is original positive ground, generator, etc. I know lots of you install a electric fuel pump. What else do you do? Are carb heat shields and fuel line insulation something I should do? Let me know your thoughts on what works best.
Thanks
Brian

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Took some looking but here is the heat shield I was talking about
Gord.

Attachments

• Jerrys motor 002.JPG
    Jerrys motor 002.JPG
    670.5 KB · Views: 30

BrianF

Hi Gord
Nice talking to you yesterday. Always a pleasure and and very informative. I appreciate your wisdom. Thanks for the photo of the shield, I like pictures, now to find some sheet metal and get to work.
Take care and stay safe
Brian

Brian,
I also have been chasing a hot running engine for a long time and have installed a heat shield as many others have. Mine is 2 pieces of aluminum with some fiberglass felt sandwiched between for extra insulation against the heat of the manifold. I also have some heat wrap on the fuel line and wrapped the muffler and exhaust pipes in header wrap.
IMG_20200422_150124050.jpg

BrianF

Hi
Ok looks like I have to get out my sheet metal tools and get to work. Will look Into the heat wrap too. Used to be that owners were putting electric fans and other contraptions to solve the heat issues. Gord says the same thing, shield and insulate.
Thanks you guys
Brian

BrianF

Hi
What products are you guys using to wrap your fuel line? I see online some that are tube shaped and slide over one end after it is disconnected. Another type is split lengthwise and Velcro's around line without disconnecting it.
Another question is do any of you guys wrap your tailpipe and muffler and if so what wrap do you recommend. Thanks Mark and Gord for the photos, now to find the right product, fab, and install.
Thanks
Brian

Brian,
Type in fuel pipe heat wrap into Amazon it it will show both the muffler / header wrap and the stuff to slip over the metal fuel line.
Lots more choices now than when I last looked. May have to pick some goodies up for myself!

BrianF

Hi Gang
I found out why my engine was running weak, stalling out, and then hard to start. I am putting the car back together after a spring service and I find the problem. I was measuring up for a carburetor heat shield and guess what, the carb was loose, really loose. I tightened up the 2 bolts on the studs and it runs strong again. Love these old cars. Glad it was a simple fix. Thanks for the input you guys and go check your carbs before they fall off haha.
Brian