Where to start?

Eddie

I recently purchased my first amphicar.

Wanted to know if there are any must haves as far as upgrades?

I have leaking rear wheel cylinders so brake system overhaul is going to be first on the list
car came with a dual master cylinder but hasn't been installed, any thoughts?

I would like to do an engine swap at some point as well.....

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
I would also suggest a quality fire extinguisher. Halon or Halotron. These are rarely on sale but just so happens than ZoroTools is doing their cyber monday sale which can save you 20% - 30% today only.

okey0

I recently purchased my first amphicar.

Wanted to know if there are any must haves as far as upgrades?
you'll need to upgrade your source of funding, because once you start to work on one item, there will be more things found next to/attached to it that need replaced!

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
There is a specific version of the Pertronix that will work with positive ground.

HOWEVER, if you are going down the upgrade path, better to first convert to negative ground by installing an alternator which ditches the crappy alternator and the antiquated voltage regulator.

Pertronix also makes a whole distributor assembly that looks like the original.

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
One more, MUST HAVE safety update. If not done already you should add a steering box reinforcing brace. Someone, do not remember who but I am sure they will chime in, sells them as a kit.

Seatbelts are a good addition. Radial tires (powdercoat the wheels first), replace all rubber brake hoses, the list goes on ....

Eddie

yes the list goes on and on, just placed two large orders with Gordon's. I plan on making a steering brace, I have seat belts, still not sure who sells the Pertronix.
what size radial tires are you running? where do you get them?

lelms

Gold Subscriber
I'm running, for the past 7 years, DiamondBack Classic radials

185/80/13/11/100 185/80R13 - 2.25" Whitewall Tire $144.00 back in 2008

Slightly thinner whitewall (2.25") than original, but look fine - maybe other vendors have wider ones now, but back in 2008, this is what I settled on. They have worked great, but I don't put more than 300-500 miles a year on them. I second having your wheels media blasted and powder coated, before you mount new tires.

DIAMOND BACK CLASSICS
4753 Hwy 90
Conway, S.C. 29526
www.dbtires.com
1-888-922-1642