Amphicar Club Belt Buckle

jfriese

buckle3.jpg

buckle1.jpg

I recently bought an Amphicar belt buckle on Ebay. I've been in the club for 12 years and have never seen or even heard of this item before. Does anyone know anything about this buckle? I have wondered if it was a club Christmas gift some years ago, but it's really only a guess.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

LSolheim

I've been doing this since 1994 (19 years), John, & I've never seen it. I would guess it's an after market manufacturer like the clocks, drinking glasses and coffee cups you can get. --Larry

jfriese

Larry,

I wonder if those small letter in the lower corners might be a clue about the source. Since is says "club" I wouldn't think it would be an aftermarket item. I would think they would just use the car name and likeness without the club reference.

John Friese

John,

Interesting tie in to another thread, this from Bill "Bilgey" Connelly from 2005 in old forum.

"As you may recall, I actually bought the late Jim Nichols' former Amphicar.
Jim was the President of that former 70s-era Amphicar Club that you mention
below (a lot of the scanned Newsletters from which are available in the
current Club's password-required "Members Only" area of the website at
http://www.amphicar.com/memberslogin.html ). While I was picking up the
Amphi from Jim's father's place in Poughkeepsie, during the search for its
keys and whatnot in the house, I recall his father mentioning how he had
sent some boxes of Amphicar-related stuff that even included some of those
Amphicar belt buckles to Hugh Gordon. So I imagine that's where the film
you mention below has gotten to, along with the other incidentalia of the
former Club."

I also saw the EBAY listing which had the location of the buckle at Poughkeepsie, NY.
Been in club since 1993 and never heard of this item.

jfriese

Hi,

I'll give Hugh a call, when he gets back from Michigan, and see if he knows about them. That Poughkeepsie link is interesting and perhaps the original source but was it the club that had them made up? I wouldn't think having such a thing made would be real cheap to do.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Bilgemaster

John,

I believe you may have one of those Amphicar belt buckles done up in the mid-to-late ‘70s by the late President of the then Amphicar Club, Jim Nichols III. I can recall his now notorious father, Jim Nichols, Jr. (see: www.smh.com.au/world/man-hid-wifes-body-for-30-years-20130716-2q14m.html), mentioning them back in 1994, when I purchased his late son’s Amphicar. If you recently got the buckle from an eBay seller in Poughkeepsie, then it most likely was salvaged by someone from Jim Nichols Jr.'s immense hoard o' random crap (he was a highly committed hoarder). It's quite a find! Now all you need to do is break out those mothballed flared jeans, puka bead necklace, mood ring, Billy Beer and Lynryd Skynrd 8 tracks to party down Bicentennial-style, baby! I have no idea what the "UWF DWS" might signify...possibly the actual maker?

Bilgemaster

Upon reflection, I know know EXACTLY what that "UWF DWS" indicates. It's right at the head of all of those old Club newsletters Jim Nichols III issued (full scans of which should still be available in the current Club website's "Members Only Section"):
"United We Float, Divided We Sink"

jfriese

Hi Bilgemaster,

Wow, you are a font of knowledge. I think you have completely decoded the source of this unusual buckle. I guess about the only thing left to find out is whether or not Hugh still has any of those that were sent to him. Not that it matters much to me since I certainly don't need more than one. Good job, and great memory.

Thanks,

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Dave_French

Gold Subscriber
I have one of these belt buckles; it came in a box of stuff with my first Amphicar. I also have some of the old club fliers - I'll try to find them. I recall the "UWF DWS" slogan was printed on the newsletters. Such a tragic story about Mrs. Nichols.