Amphi Trailer

azpaul50

As some members know, I've had an Amphi/trailer/scooter project in mind for quite some time. I finally have all the major pieces together. I just posted pics under Amphi repairs.restos etc. since the site automatically downsizes the pictures. Apparently they don't in this thread so there are no pics attached here. I'd welcome any comments especially relating to potential problems. I can already see stresses on the car and trailer than need to be overcome. My hope is to have a one-of-a-kind rig that finally wins the game of toys. Let's see someone else transport a car/boat/rv/and motorcycle all at once for less than $500K!. :dft012: - Paul

chasgould

The first and most obvious problem that I can see is the 500K! Tough to produce a prototype, or to initiate production, or to sell even a single unit at those prices, although if you have got a spare half a million to play with, go for it! The other concern is that in my opinion, each combination of functions requires additional compromises, as is evidenced b the original Amphicar. If you then combine a trailer, and scooter, you will lose some of the functionality of trailers (lightweight and few axles, wheels, moving parts) and scooters (lightweight and small, and easy to manuver in small spaces), as well as losing some of the functionality of cars, (fast and responsive with advantageous suspension systems), and of the boats, (lightweight and easy to manuver, etc).
Chas

As some members know, I've had an Amphi/trailer/scooter project in mind for quite some time. I finally have all the major pieces together. I just posted pics under Amphi repairs.restos etc. since the site automatically downsizes the pictures. Apparently they don't in this thread so there are no pics attached here. I'd welcome any comments especially relating to potential problems. I can already see stresses on the car and trailer than need to be overcome. My hope is to have a one-of-a-kind rig that finally wins the game of toys. Let's see someone else transport a car/boat/rv/and motorcycle all at once for less than $500K!. :dft012: - Paul

I like it.
I am certainly no expert, but even with the small trailer and bike, that seems like an awful lot of weight to pull behind Amphi.
I would be concerned about tongue weight too, if you are able to drop the hitch down, the extra weight on the back of the trailer may cause some problems.
Good luck with the project I hope you are able to work it out.

azpaul50

Randy - I'm thinking the same thing. The trailer is very light (tongue weight less than 50#). I frequently tow it with my 1500cc Nash Met with no problem including speeds up to 55MPH+ (without scooter). I initially installed spring helpers only to discover the Met didn't need them and after doing the "man on amphi bumper" stand, the Amphi's suspension is quite stiff. I'll need a 4" drop hitch and change to trailer torsion suspension (from springs)along with electric brakes. I've already found a source for these small elect brake hubs. The combined additional weight of the Topper and carrier is about 180 - 200#'s. Total weight is also well under 2,000#, complete. That weight on the trailer end is enough to bring the front of the trailer off the ground (another man on the bumper test), but it only takes about 40lbs of downward push to bring it to balance (according to assistant tech, Mrs AzPaul). I plan to move the propane bottle to under the kitchen and place a RV battery/isolator/solar charger on the trailer's tongue (where the bottle was). To compensate and bring the front end down, I have a pre-cut 5/16" thick piece of diamond plate left over from another project that is about the right weight (heavy sucker). Fits perfectly across the front of the trailer below the front window. Meanwhile, the trailer tires are 12" wheels, load range C, (4 x 4" lug pattern). If I tried to convert to a stabler tandem setup or larger wheels/tires, I'd have to also rebuild the wheelwells, inside and out. That's out of the question, so I'm stuck with a single axle. As you note, I also have to find out if the Amphi's smaller engine will tow without heating up. It does make my Met run about 5 degrees hotter at 190 deg or so. Interestingly, I've added up parts for this including carrier, hubs/brakes, RV battery, solar, isolator, brake controller, drop hitch, ball, torsion parts, and I'm still well under $1K but still have a few more things to add. I'll go looking for a receiver to bolt onto the existing hitch tomorrow (I found one on the net that needs only a little modification) then measure the exact drop. I should be ready for an initial tow test next week to see if the whole thing doesn't come apart with things just as they are now. The car arrived with a bad temp sender that should be in tomorrow's mail. While this all is daunting, it is still mostly for looks. Allow me a moment free from technicalities, what would you think if you saw the trailer behind the Amphi with (fake) boat numbers also on the trailer sides??? LOLOLOL.... Thanks for your input and keep 'em coming! - Azpaul

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20413] Re: Amphi Trailer
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 23:19:00 -0400

Quote:

Originally Posted by azpaul50
As some members know, I've had an Amphi/trailer/scooter project in mind for quite some time. I finally have all the major pieces together. I just posted pics under Amphi repairs.restos etc. since the site automatically downsizes the pictures. Apparently they don't in this thread so there are no pics attached here. I'd welcome any comments especially relating to potential problems. I can already see stresses on the car and trailer than need to be overcome. My hope is to have a one-of-a-kind rig that finally wins the game of toys. Let's see someone else transport a car/boat/rv/and motorcycle all at once for less than $500K!. - PaulI like it.
I am certainly no expert, but even with the small trailer and bike, that seems like an awful lot of weight to pull behind Amphi.
I would be concerned about tongue weight too, if you are able to drop the hitch down, the extra weight on the back of the trailer may cause some problems.
Good luck with the project I hope you are able to work it out.

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you need to do.
Will the receiver be able to be removed easily so as not to interfere with Amphis ground clearance?
I did notice with the bike sticking out past the trailer, you wont have to worry whether it is still back there or not, just check the mirrors.

Add the boat numbers and some floatation to the trailer and just take the whole thing into the water :)

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Your after my heart here! I have a 1963 California Teardrop (one of a handful produced) that will one day travel behind the Amphi or the 59 Skyliner. My Harley is too big to hang on the back like that! (FLHR and TLE sidecar) I also regularly use my 1961 Heilite Tent camper.

Your hitch looks OK from that one angle. Attach the ends by thru bolting them between the vertical bumper and hull. Run a 1/4 x 3(+-) bar down from the ball mount down the center line following the curves of the hull. Mount the end through the hull and into the crossmenber with the motormounts. This will closely mimic the factory hitches and provide the strongest mounting points. Your flat 4 trailer plug can go out a louver and hang out of the way inside when not in use.

That Topper on the back may make the tongue weight too light. So you may need to shift some things fwd like batteries and propane bottles if equipped.

Best of luck! She is a beauty!

azpaul50

John - We're apparently kindred spirits! I agree a full-sized Harley would't work. I have two, a '02 Road King and an original '63 FLHF King of the Road panhead w/ F-1,5 packages (1 of 100 made). I must say that my trailer is significantly lighter than most teardrops I've seen at car shows and I have my choice of 3 vintage scooters I own to use back there. The Topper matches paint-wise and is the exact same one that appears in the Encyclopedia of H-D. I've changed it back to a pre-62 scheme due to non-availability of a correct NOS black seat or faithful repop. This project is but one of several restore/repair efforts I have onging with different cars and bikes. The scooters air induction changed at that '62 design point but the earlier version still works fine. It is fairly light and doesn't weight more than 150#. The Amphi hitch plate seen in my pic is a solid piece of billet-cut material, already attached per some past "factory" mounting system (according to an evaluation paper from a former owner) that only breeches the hull with four mounting bolts. in other words, the attachment points are "proven" although at some unknown weight factor. We worked out the details of the initial drop hitch probably to make a 1-1/2" size setup versus a regular 2" or lighter 1" receiver used for ATVs and small tractors. I would place a rating of 3500# using this setup. At first I was going to place it on top of the Amphi's hitch plate so as to not be in the water flow like an extra skag. After a meeting of local car guys last night, we decided that it wouldn't make much of a difference so I'll put in under the plate but keep the actual drop draw bar removable. The receiver will be bolt-on with grade-5 stainless or better bolts. Phase #1 is to fabricate the receiver, connect the trailer and see what impact just the trailer has on the car. As with all things vintage, I've encountered unforeseen problems already with my "new" Amphi. It was been in WI/MN and upon arrival here, our hot weather is already causing some problems. The accelerator is sticking probably because of dry climate and the heat has dried out any lub. Anything glued in the interior is also loosening and falling off even in shade! Secondly, the brakes are problematic and apparently in need of more than bleeding. Lastly, the water temp gage is dead and I'm playing games with "bad" replacement sensors. I have a laser temp gun so we'll proceed in the coming weeks despite this but the brakes are semi-dangerous at this point even without a trailer. Because I'll be adding electric trailer brakes, it'll probably need a 6-pin round plug. I've seen an Amphi mounted round plug receptical on a German police version (with trailer hitch) just inboard from the bilge pump port placed high on the stern. This will require a longer wire bundle from the front of the trailer but I have other electrical mods in mind anyway. Does your Skyliner have the power retractable hard top? My '56 Vette had power retract at one time but the system was removed in the past. I was going to reconstruct it a piece at a time but then I got into these Amphis and can't afford to get back on the power top project right now. I have to tell you, amigo, these aquacars are a lot more expensive than any Corvette ever made!!! I didn't help things when I dented in the passenger door on my other Amphi during our recent ill-fated Colorado River jaunt. More dinero and time going to non-progressive efforts rather than moving forward. Thank you for your supportive comments and I'll be reporting progress as it happens along the way. - azpaul50

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20413] Re: Amphi Trailer
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 23:43:44 -0400

Your after my heart here! I have a 1963 California Teardrop (one of a handful produced) that will one day travel behind the Amphi or the 59 Skyliner. My Harley is too big to hang on the back like that! (FLHR and TLE sidecar)/ I also regularly use my 1961 Heilite Tent camper.

Your hitch looks OK from that one angle. Attach the ends thru bolting them betewwn the vertical bumber and hull. Run a 1/4 x 3(+-) bar down from the ball mount down the center line following the curves of the hull. Mount the end through the hull and into the crossmenber with the motormounts. This will closely mimic the factory hitches and provide the strongest mounting points. Your flat 4 trailer plug can go out a louver and hang out of the way inside when not in use.

That Topper on the back may make the tongue weight to light. So you may need to shift some things fwd like batteries and propane bottles if equipped.

Best of luck! She is a beauty!

azpaul50

We're finally getting serious about this project and hoping to get it done by the end of Feburary. After much debate, we're going with surge brakes and a torsion suspension. Since the trailer is apart I'm also adding an onboard battery and solar panel (on the roof). The Amphi brakes are still shakey after I found tons of grease on what are otherwise good brake linings. I have no idea how that got in there, I'm talking a "glob"? Cleaning them didn't help much but time and money only allow one crisis at a time. I now also have the scooter carrier to be installed on the rear of the trailer. Admittedly, the whole rig is getting heavier but we'll see how the car handles it, once done. Meanwhile, I now have a second set of boat registration numbers but 1" shorter than the ones on the car. I plan to put them on the trailer giving the impression that the trailer also floats. In a similar rectangle sticker (like annual state registration) I'm putting the message, "You really didn't think this trailer floats, right? The joke is on you!" Did I mention the personalized throw ring to be mounted on the trailer side that says "Twilight Bungalow." We're on our way!

CapnJohn

Does your Skyliner have the power retractable hard top? My '56 Vette had power retract at one time but the system was removed in the past. I was going to reconstruct it a piece at a time but then I got into these Amphis and can't afford to get back on the power top project right now.

Yes she does, all Skyliners from 57-59 have the retractable top which is the main reason I love them. The mechanics and engineering of it is incredible to me and I am still mesm,erized watching it work. Although not the 1st retractable top car produced, it's my favorite. I have loved them since I was very young and I particularly love the styling and proportions of the '59. It was voted "The world's most beautifully proportioned cars" in 1959. By who? I dunno! Probably Ford. The 10 years it took to buy it was worth it! Below is a pic of her taking her top down. :005: :dft003: and one to compare size with my Amphi.

Attachments

• IMG00021-20090507-1843.jpg
    IMG00021-20090507-1843.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 110407_11051.jpg
    110407_11051.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 115

Pufahl

super nice car ....

Holger

2009/12/8 CapnJohn <>

> Quote:
> Originally Posted by *azpaul50* [image: View Post]<http://showthread.php?p=40927#post40927>
> Does your Skyliner have the power retractable hard top? My '56 Vette had
> power retract at one time but the system was removed in the past. I was
> going to reconstruct it a piece at a time but then I got into these Amphis
> and can't afford to get back on the power top project right now.
> Yes she does, all Skyliners from 57-59 have the retractable top which is
> the main reason I love them. The mechanics and engineering of it is
> incredible to me and I am still mesm,erized watching it work. Although not
> the 1st retractable top car produced, it's my favorite. I have loved them
> since I was very young and I particularly love the styling and proportions
> of the '59. It was voted "The world's most beautifully proportioned cars" in
> 1959. By who? I dunno! Probably Ford. The 10 years it took to buy it was
> worth it! Below is a pic of her taking her top down. and one to compare
> size with my Amphi.
>
> Attached to this message is IMG00021-20090507-1843.jpg<http://www.amphicar770.com/amphicarforum/attachments/general-amphicar-discussion/463d1260235280-amphi-trailer-img00021-20090507-1843.jpg>
>
> Attached to this message is 110407_11051.jpg<http://www.amphicar770.com/amphicarforum/attachments/general-amphicar-discussion/464d1260235587-amphi-trailer-110407_11051.jpg>
>
>
>

--
Vielen Dank Holger
Tel. 0049 (0) 171 6031818

azpaul50

Progress! Most of the heavy lifting is over! We went to surge brakes which simplified everything although a bit unsightly. The car runs fine (and cool) although is hardly setting any speed records. I hit 60 with the trailer on a stretch but it took a mile or so to get there. The hitch is done but I need a 2" more drop to make it level. Braking is quite another matter but that existed with this car before the trailer. It adds to the adventure at each stop light! No time as I only have a week until our next show. The scooter carrier is also attached to the trailer and we'll try everything tomorrow with it on the carrier. See, Jaunito! I betcha you didn't think I'd get 'er done! See today's pics and I'll take some next week once it is all ready. I still have an outside table to attach with an umbrella not to mention match monogrammed captains chairs.

Attachments

• Trailer1.jpg
    Trailer1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 87
  • Trailer2.jpg
    Trailer2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 79

CapnJohn

Paul, I am impressed! I'm wondering how she will handle with all gear on board. The surge brakes are the safeist way to go in this situation. They should help save the wear on your Amphi brakes. Makes me want to get my teardrop done to pull behind the Amphi or Skyliner. Awesome rig!

azpaul50

Re: Amphi Trailer Done!

Everything went fine until I realized that the scoot covered my license plate and trailer lights. I'm sorry to say that the solution had to come off my Duo Glide. After changing to 12V bolbs, the genuine Buco light array worked fine on the carrier. That puppy is 50 years old! It all trailered fine after a 30 mile test drive. Attached are some quick shots. The show starts tomorrow and I still have the Vette to get ready! I'll take some more with the trailer all decked out with table, umbrella and kitchen. - azpaul50

Attachments

• AmphirigComplete.jpg
    AmphirigComplete.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Apmhirigcomplete2.jpg
    Apmhirigcomplete2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Amphirigcomplete3.jpg
    Amphirigcomplete3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 70
Re: Amphi Trailer Done!

Thanks for sharing. These pictures are so very fantastic!! I love the license plate's decorations. Ina
----- Original Message -----
To: ribcab@verizon.net
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 4:12 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20413] Re: Amphi Trailer Done!

Everything went fine until I realized that the scoot covered my license plate and trailer lights. I'm sorry to say that the solution had to come off my Duo Glide. After changing to 12V bolbs, the genuine Buco light array worked fine on the carrier. That puppy is 50 years old! It all trailered fine after a 30 mile test drive. Attached are some quick shots. The show starts tomorrow and I still have the Vette to get ready! I'll take some more with the trailer all decked out with table, umbrella and kitchen. - azpaul50

Attached to this message is Apmhirigcomplete2.jpg

Attached to this message is AmphirigComplete.jpg

Attached to this message is Amphirigcomplete3.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.435 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2722 - Release Date: 03/04/10 19:34:00

azpaul50

The show is over! everything went fine with two exceptions. One, I broke a prop blade on the trailer right after I got there. Two, we hit 35-40MPH headwinds going home and it slowed me to maybe 35-40MPH even on flat road. Attached are some pics from the show. - azpaul50

Attachments

• DSC04190.jpg
    DSC04190.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC04212.jpg
    DSC04212.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC04230.jpg
    DSC04230.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC04232.jpg
    DSC04232.jpg