Amphi with Trailer and Scooter

Paul,

I just spend my 3rd winter in Scottsdale (just a little warmer that NW Indiana). My Mom and 2 of my sisters live there. I drive there so that I have wheels. This last winter I hauled my newly restored Amphi (excellent job by John Capone) and I had a ball with it. The many lakes are extraordinary.

How far is Yuma. Lets get together for a swim sometime after Christmas. What is your phone number?

Robert "Stilll Alive" Vondracek

By the way, I've decided to start using the nickname again that Dave the Wave gave me 7 or 8 years ago again. I have always loved it, but was asked to stop using it. I've decided that request was crazy.

cigarman

Amphicar Expert
Hey Still Alive...
I agree with you the best lakes for Amphicaring are in Arizona.. We had a blast at all of them I can't wait till next year. California lakes are a pain in the butt, Too many rules and red tape... Lake Mohave, Lake Havasu and the 3 or 4 you go to near Scottsdale are unbelievable. I am convinced if its attached to the Colorado river, It is the ultimate place to be in a Amphicar...

Are you back in Valparaiso?? 80 degrees in Rockford Illinois today..

Cigarman

azpaul50

cigarman- I've made the trip from Lake Havasu to Bullhead and from Yuma to Parker in my old Eliminator picklefork. That included being part of Havasu's annual Eliminator regatta during the 90's to the early-2000's. The best spot, I think on the Colorado is in Topoc Canyon up river. I saw a video of someone entering the Colorado in an Amphicar just below Bullhead and he was immediately wisked away in the current. I thought he would flip over sideways but he made it. Apparently he decided to go just when water was released from Davis Dam. The only thing I'd worry about are the wakes from probably the fastest speedboats gathered in the country. The Colorado is the waters of 100+MPH BASS BOATS not to mention the others! - azpaul50

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20721] Re: Amphi with Trailer and Scooter
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:38:30 -0400

Hey Still Alive...
I agree with you the best lakes for Amphicaring are in Arizona.. We had a blast at all of them I can't wait till next year. California lakes are a pain in the butt, Too many rules and red tape... Lake Mohave, Lake Havasu and the 3 or 4 you go to near Scottsdale are unbelievable. I am convinced if its attached to the Colorado river, It is the ultimate place to be in a Amphicar...

Are you back in Valparaiso?? 80 degrees in Rockford Illinois today..

Cigarman

cigarman

Amphicar Expert
Hey Paul,
I wouldn't go on the Colorado river itself, it could get crazy so why chance it, but for instance when you launch into Lake Mohave at the public launch you have a bay thats like the sand dunes in Indiana. It is crystal clear water and hard sand in a area of maybe 3 miles of beach. The sand is a gradual incline so no sharp drop off. Rob and I were just amazed of how awesome it was. A matter of fact I want to put together a swim in next year at Lake Mohave in March. I hope you could be there with us. I will post in the future the details.

Take care, John

azpaul50

I've been all over including Lake Meade but from a speedboaters perspective. Each spring all the major manufacturers take weekend turns for their regattas at Havasu. it is really cool to cruise under London Bridge in a line of similar boats. In fact, the seed to buy an AMphi was planted by a guy from Havasu (I think) who had his car at a Blythe, CA car show some 10 years ago. From a logistics viewpoint, I'm trying to conceive a larger Amphi event and where it would take place. Although a few years ago, we rented a 40' houseboat as headquarters for 4 boats and used one of those coves you describe on Lake Powell. After studying Amphi events from a distance (I've only been to Miramar), the scale of events seem somewhat smaller than what I've (and now you) experienced. Laughlin/Bullhead hosts huge events for car enthusiasts virtually every weekend when the weather is moderate. The Laughlin bike run is in 3 weeks and I'll be going for my 18th time! We out west have to deal with longer distances to get anywhere, which may also be a problem. I think the beach experience lends itself well to an individual Amphi experience but I'm thinking a Unique and Orphan car event that would include Amphis along the Colorado woyuld be better for a larger experience. We did something like that at Navajo Lake CO/NM last summer and it was fun! Anyway, I have my 34' 5th Wheel toy hauler and can attack in any recreational direction. Oh, by the way... Yuma ain't all that bad as a location (Lake Martinex, Mettry) but let's not have it in July!

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20721] Re: Amphi with Trailer and Scooter
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 13:03:41 -0400

Hey Paul,
I wouldn't go on the Colorado river itself, it could get crazy so why chance it, but for instance when you launch into Lake Mohave at the public launch you have a bay thats like the sand dunes in Indiana. It is crystal clear water and hard sand in a area of maybe 3 miles of beach. The sand is a gradual incline so no sharp drop off. Rob and I were just amazed of how awesome it was. A matter of fact I want to put together a swim in next year at Lake Mohave in March. I hope you could be there with us. I will post in the future the details.

Take care, John