Alternator / Dynamo

B

Bo Strander

<table lang="SV" link="blue" vlink="purple" style="tab-interval:65.2pt">
<div class="Section1">
<p class="MsoNormal"><font size="2" face="Arial"><span lang="EN-GB" style="font-size:
10.0pt;mso-ansi-language:EN-GB">Hello everybody, I hope you all have had a nice
summer.<o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font size="2" face="Arial"><span lang="EN-GB" style="font-size:
10.0pt;mso-ansi-language:EN-GB">A week ago I bought <span class="GramE">an</span>
<span class="SpellE">german</span> magazine for historic cars and found an ad
about rebuild standard Lucas C-40 dynamos with an up to date alternator
internally, complete with all the electronics hidden in the old shell. <o:p></o:p></span></font>
10.0pt;mso-ansi-language:EN-GB">I have never heard of this before. <span class="GramE">Anybody out there with any experience of this alternator?</span> <o:p></o:p></span></font>
10.0pt;mso-ansi-language:EN-GB">Have a lock at the <span class="GramE">companies</span>
homepage: www.Limora.com<o:p></o:p></span></font>
10.0pt;mso-ansi-language:EN-GB"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
10.0pt;mso-ansi-language:EN-GB">Bo the <span class="SpellE">swede</span><o:p></o:p></span></font>
10.0pt;mso-ansi-language:EN-GB"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoAutoSig"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight:normal"><font size="3" face="Arial"><span style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;
mso-bidi-font-weight:normal;mso-no-proof:yes">Med v?nliga h?lsningar /Best
regards<o:p></o:p></span></font>[/b]
<p class="MsoAutoSig"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight:normal"><font size="3" face="Arial"><span style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;
mso-bidi-font-weight:normal;mso-no-proof:yes">Bo Strander<o:p></o:p></span></font>[/b]
mso-bidi-font-weight:normal;mso-no-proof:yes">AK OPTIK AB<o:p></o:p></span></font>[/b]
<p class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Arial"><span style="font-size:12.0pt"><o:p></o:p></span></font>

D

David Chapman

<table bgColor="#ffffff" background="">
<font face="Arial" size="2">> A week ago I bought an german magazine for historic cars and found an ad about rebuild standard Lucas C-40 dynamos with an up to date alternator internally, complete with all > the electronics hidden in the old shell.
> I have never heard of this before. Anybody out there with any experience of this alternator?
</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Hello Bo, </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2"></font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">Yes I've seen them on other old English cars but not on Triumph. I remember they are very expensive.Because Triumph fitted an alternator from 1967 most owners go that route. I know originally Amphicar had a dynamo (what the Americans call a generator) but then it also hada strange large oil filter as original fit that I've never seen that on any in-use car or available new. The Triumph/Lucas ACR alternator looks and fits perfectly on Amphicar although it does need the small mount bracket from a later Triumph. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">You do need to be careful with the fanbelt, many of the modern sort with a ribbed back seem to screech at high revs unless overtightened - if you can find one use the old type. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">You might also seea new type of starter motor, it spins faster, and uses less power. A few Triumph people I know have fitted them, they make the "starting sound" totally different as they are pre-engaged. I haven't tried but I'm 90 percent sure they wouldn't work on Amphicar as they are a bit bigger and I think there would not be enough clearance. </font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">David C</font>

M

Mike Israel

<table><div style="font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:12pt"><div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">David,
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">I think you are talking about gear reduction starters. I have one on myAmphi and, after seeing it, Dave and others have put them on their own cars. Much more reliable, draws less current, etc. Just bolts right on, no modifications needed.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">http://hometown.aol.com/martingf/britishstarters.html
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">Mike

D

David Chapman

<table bgColor="#ffffff" background=""><font face="Arial" size="2"></font>

<font face="Arial" size="2">> David,

> I think you are talking about gear reduction starters. I have one on my Amphi and, after seeing it, Dave and others have put them on their own cars. Much more reliable, draws > less current, etc. Just bolts right on, no modifications needed.

> http://hometown.aol.com/martingf/britishstarters.html
> Mike</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">That's it Mike, The design I saw had the new motor bit directly out the side where I reckon itwould hit the bodywork on Amphi. That one has the motor more on top (which is better as further from bilge water) and also looks like it might be adjustable so no clearance issues. Should work well !</font>
<font face="Arial" size="2">David C</font>

M

mstrug@juno.com

The web site shows 739 Euros that's about $1500.00 Dollars! Way to Much! Amphigr66n.