Accelerator cable installation question

I have pulled a new clutch cable through the bilge without pulling the seats or floor, but is it necessary to pull everything out to do an accelerator cable?

I think I already know the answer. Because I am waiting for warmer weather I have time to ask. Because of the connection point to the pedal assembly, there cannot be an easy way to do this job. Or is there?

Anybody care to share installation tips? Thanks.

I also asked that bonehead on EBAY a couple questions. One was about the frame off restoration (how do you get the body off the frame) and the other was pictures of the prop stabilizers. He did not answer. Go figure.

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
To change the gas cable you must remove the floor board and rear seat.
and then remove the steel plate that dimmer switch and gas pedal is on.
it is a tough job to get the pin in and out of that area.
I have a replacement kit for $25.00(with me in FL) that you do not need to take the front plate off and worry about the front pivot pin,and the cable is extra long at the carb end.
call me
GORD SOUTER>
386 882 0334 FL.
(AMPHICAR CANADA)

jfriese

Hi,

Anyone changing the throttle cable should consider changing the hand throttle connection to the "late style" that Amphicar used. It requires a change or alteration of one of the triangular plates where the throttle cable attaches and moving the attaching point for the bowden cable a couple of inches to the left. With that change the hand throttle actually works like it should and it is a GREAT improvement to the car. Getting down to that triangular plate is a total pain but if you're changing the cable, you're right there already.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

John - I just got a 67 - im a newbie -
is this hand throttle you speak of the "t" shaped knob to the left of the wheel? And what does it do exactly?
Didnt seem to want to come out when I pulled on it (gently) - so i stopped!

JON

Hi,

Anyone changing the throttle cable should consider changing the hand throttle connection to the "late style" that Amphicar used. It requires a change or alteration of one of the triangular plates where the throttle cable attaches and moving the attaching point for the bowden cable a couple of inches to the left. With that change the hand throttle actually works like it should and it is a GREAT improvement to the car. Getting down to that triangular plate is a total pain but if you're changing the cable, you're right there already.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

strandweiss62

Jon, at water use you have to set the throttle with the gas pedal. Then you can fixate it by pulling out the T-handle and rotate it clockwise.

Peter

Jon March

So its a basically a cruise control!?...(that doesnt work on land - just when the props are engaged forward (and reverse?))

Jon

Jon, at water use you have to set the throttle with the gas pedal. Then you can fixate it by pulling out the T-handle and rotate it clockwise.

Peter

lelms

Gold Subscriber
So its a basically a cruise control!?...(that doesnt work on land - just when the props are engaged forward (and reverse?))

Jon
It would work as a cruise control on land too, but I certainly would not recommend doing that! You would have to manually release the cable to release your gas pedal.

strandweiss62

It blocks the accelerator cable, so it is not a real cruise control, because there is no control. Down hill it will accelerate, and uphill it will slow down. If breaking it will not automatically release. For safety reasons you should not use it on land. On the water it is comfortable to travel with, but there is no reason to use it in reverse.

Jon March

Got it -

foward gear on water only - as a careful convenience!

Whats this "upgraded/triangular bracket" version that was mentioned in a thread?

jm

It blocks the accelerator cable, so it is not a real cruise control, because there is no control. Down hill it will accelerate, and uphill it will slow down. If breaking it will not automatically release. For safety reasons you should not use it on land. On the water it is comfortable to travel with, but there is no reason to use it in reverse.

LSolheim

Got it -

foward gear on water only - as a careful convenience!

Whats this "upgraded/triangular bracket" version that was mentioned in a thread?

jm
In later cars one could actually set the speed using the hand throttle w/o needed to press the pedal first then just locking it in place. Extremely handy when sitting on the seat back, no need to keep sliding up & down. It was done with a bellcrank change (triangular bracket mentioned) to change the lever arm of the cable connection. It can also be done with with the installation of a tab at the top of the connection to offset the cable 3/4" or so. It allows the hand throttle to function in nearly the same way. I bought & installed one of the ss tabs from John Friese and like the feature. I will look for my dimensioned photo if you are interested.

Last edited:

Jon March

Thats very kind- id like that!

In later cars one could actually set the speed using the hand throttle w/o needed to press the pedal first then just locking it in place. Extremely handy when sitting on the seat back, no need to keep sliding upm& down. It was done with a bellcrank change (triangular bracket mentioned) to change the lever arm of the cable connection. It can also be done with with the installation of a tab at the top of the connection to offset the cable 3/4" or so. It allows the hand throttle to function in nearly the same way. I bought & installed one of the ss tabs from John Friese and like the feature. I will look for my dimensioned photo if you are interested.[/QUOTE

Jon March

Much appreciated
And I know Mike Israel has done an amazing job with this forum over the years...but I am sometimes reluctant to use the handy search box, because sometimes when threads come up they are missing important images or they are sometimes full of extraneous HTML characters -(I just don't want to seem lazy that's all LOL!)
In particular when those images are missing it's a real bummer!#%

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Most of the crazy html is from those messages that did not convert properly at some point. Over the years we have gone from a listserv to yahoo group, to vbulletin, and now Xenforo.

Missing images are likely links to long dead sites rather than actual attachments.

Search is definitely one of the most used features. Contributions from many over the years has certainly created quite the archive of everything amphi. I also think it explains slow down in activity over time as much is out there already. Some have moved on from Amphis, some have gotten mad over what someone posted and no longer participate. Fortunately, the legacy of info remains beyond any one of us and there is often something new to be learned even when questions have been answered in the past.

Jon March

so if my car is a 1967 - how do i know if i already have the improved throttle "hold" feature? - can you post a pic of what factory setup i should be checking for (the reason i ask is that altho i have a 1967 with the raised panel lips and seatbelts, it has the early-style small bilge plug and the early style undertank heater!@!@# -- so how do i know if i could use this throttle-gadget?!

LSolheim

so if my car is a 1967 - how do i know if i already have the improved throttle "hold" feature? - can you post a pic of what factory setup i should be checking for (the reason i ask is that altho i have a 1967 with the raised panel lips and seatbelts, it has the early-style small bilge plug and the early style undertank heater!@!@# -- so how do i know if i could use this throttle-gadget?!
Take a look at JohnB's pictures in the linked thread (#13) above

jfriese

Hi,
Take a look under the dash and you'll see the linking rod from the accelerator pedal to below the floorboard. Above the rod there are two bolts side by side. If those bolts are to the center/right and right side of the throttle rod, you have an early style linkage and chances are you hand throttle control can't be used used as an actual hand throttle but only a throttle LOCK. This means you have to set the throttle with your foot and can only use the hand control to lock the throttle at that position. My gadget changes the linkage geometry to allow the hand control to completely operate the throttle from idle to full throttle. This makes controlling the throttle from sitting on the seat back fun and easy. Very few cars came with the late style hand throttle linkage. Those cars have the two holes to the left side of the throttle rod. I'm sure you'll enjoy the way it works and it's an easy installation. I've used this converting device for 14 years now and it's well worth the short time it takes to install.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red