Transmission oil leak

bwana

Hi fellow members: I reside in Hamilton Ontario Canada and am new to the forum although not new to Amphicars having owned four with-in the last 10 years. My 1963 has just started leaking a lot of transmission oil out of the bell housing in particular spraying out of the shifting fork opening when I am driving, in my recollection the only place I believe this oil can come from is the transmission imput shaft seal, in my previous 64 Amphicar this same seal was leaking, I pulled the engine and found the pilot bushing in the end of the crank shaft was worn out causing the transmission input shaft to flop around and rip the seal out of the transmission. Am I right in assuming the only support for this transmission input shaft is the pilot bushing and another roller bearing deep inside the land transmission, is this input seal a regular problem with Amphicars as previously mentioned this would be the second seal in two different cars that has caused a problem. Is there any upgrade to solve this situation? What is the consensus on replacing this front transmission seal, I have always pulled the engine to access this seal and pilot bushing but having spoke to another Amphicar enthusiast he claims it's easier to pull the transmission? Any support or suggestions from members would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bwana

jfriese

Pulling the engine is definitely the easier way to go. That seal has a history of working its way out without any help from the pilot bushing. Most everyone slightly peens the housing at a couple of places around the seal to keep it in. Others use a smear of glue and you might even go for both. When that seal comes out tranny oil comes pouring out alright.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Yes, we always lift the engine, easier and quicker and you can check and fix other things at the same time. One tip, remove the rear wheels and lower car so hubs are just above the floor, makes it easier to reach everything. Only reason not to lift engine would be if you didn't have a crane that lifted high enough. Be careful if you do go the transmission route. It is almost but not quite a one person lift - very easy to damage your back !

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Sounds ok but usually all the other seals are ready to be replaced also. So pull the trans and replace the internal seal along with the intermediate gear bearings. You will be glad you did. I have done way over 50 of these transmissions and been there done that.

bwana

Thank you all for the great advice. Any particular type of glue I should use around the seal? Bwana

jfriese

When my seal worked its way out it was still in fine shape. I think I replaced it anyway but the rest of the seals are still working fine and that was about 5 years ago. All the seals had been replaced 12 years ago but I didn't know about that input seals habit of working its way out back then. The tranny is still working perfectly on it's original (1967) bearings and synchros.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red