Transmission oil leak

bwana

Hi fellow members: Just got 2 quick questions. The dreaded transmission input shaft seal popped out on my Amphicar spraying oil everywhere, I noticed elsewhere in the forum members have suggested glueing and pinning the seal back in place, there has been some suggestion to use 3m weather strip glue or shellac but nothing definitive, any suggestions.

2nd question - There seems to be a lot of play in the shaft even with the seal in place, I realize the end of the shaft is held in place by the pilot bearing but this play would still be putting a lot of strain on the seal. I recall many years ago there was talk of upgrading and retrofitting this seal into a bearing and seal combination, does any member know anything about this upgrade or have any other suggestions on this play?

Thank you and happy boating.

Bwana

Glue is no good, it gets too hot, it should be peened to hold in place and of course it needs to be the correct "offset" seal not the normal sort. Check condition of bronze spigot bush in end of crank (and that it's there) it'll often fall out as engine is tilted to lift from Amphicar and if you miss it the shaft will wobble all over the place and damage or push out that seal.

bwana

Glue is no good, it gets too hot, it should be peened to hold in place and of course it needs to be the correct "offset" seal not the normal sort. Check condition of bronze spigot bush in end of crank (and that it's there) it'll often fall out as engine is tilted to lift from Amphicar and if you miss it the shaft will wobble all over the place and damage or push out that seal.
Thank you Cameron but what do you mean buy offset seal, I have ordered a new seal from Gordons? ?

jfriese

Gordons has the correct seal so that should be fine. What Cameron is calling a spigot bush is what we call a pilot bushing. It is normally captive by the flywheel and won't fall out unless the flywheel is pulled from the engine. If it's not there you will get a lot of vibration and your clutch probably will chatter like crazy.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I have rebuilt LOTs of amphicar Trans, since 1994 and been selling parts since 2001`.The ofset seal iS not really needed on the input shaft .in fact seals usually get hard and wear a groove into the safts they seal on. to install a new seal and have it ride on a undamaged surface would give it a better chance of keeping oil back where it belongs. I have never had a leak problem using a non ofset seal and keep them in stock at a much better price.
The way to keep seals in is to pin them after proper install, lube seal surface. never lift trany by the input shaft and align trans up to motor by blocking under it to lift up a little before installing motor.
Gord

Ahren's Dutton Barrie 003.jpg