Got my boat numbers

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Illinois really picked up the pace. 6 months + was the norm for numbers. Even with rejecting my Amphi the first time it only took 60 days. So once it stops snowing ........The black wonder can begin. This one will make Kamikaze's look mint. Later Dave the Wave

Midwest Amphicar

The black Shark and the 300 horse (estimated) 1300. Double valve springs and enlarged head studs. Hopefully it will have enough vroom to run AC compressor. Later Dave the Wave

Attachments

• Dark Shark.JPG
    Dark Shark.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 89
  • BW$ motor.JPG
    BW$ motor.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 90

azpaul50

All render tribute to Dave! Impressive!

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20727] Re: Got my boat numbers
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:50:52 -0400

The black Shark and the 300 horse (estimated) 1300. Double valve springs and enlarged head studs. Hopefully it will have enough vroom to run AC compressor. Later Dave the Wave

Attached to this message is Dark Shark.JPG

Attached to this message is BW$ motor.JPG

Midwest Amphicar

:005: "estimated" 300 hp. But still a correct response!!! I did the Laughlin River Run some years ago. Wow, stories yup got 'em!! Later Dave . :D

azpaul50

We'll be at the Riverside RV park starting Thursday. A bunch of bros will be coming up on Friday morning followed by the Laughlin to Oatman to Kingman to Laughlin circuit. Ya' gotta watch for those wandering donkeys among "other" things up there! lololol...

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 21:04:28 -0400

"estimated" 300 hp. But still a correct response!!! I did the Laughlin River Run some years ago. Wow, stories yup got 'em!! Later Dave .

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
I have a 1300 in a customers car,( he reads these emails)
The SU carb next to the fire wall has no intake draft when you hold your hand over it.
when you hold your hand over the one next to rad , lots of sucktion, stalls out motor.
I have taken intake off, all 4 intakes have the same suck, comp. in all cyl is 150. there is no blockage in intakes,, we are checking out the carb, but still does not explaine no suction on that side .
Anyone else ever run into this?
GORD,

I,m not a SU expert..never touched them so there at a experts now.

jfriese

Gord,

It's problems like these that make me use the Pierce/Weber carb. system. I use the carb. with manual choke so that the knob on the dash has something to do. Easy adjustment and it's even quite easy to use the original Amphicar air cleaner. The whole thing looks almost stock and works fine.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

enginephotos15.jpg

J

Jim Lichter

Gord,

Check for broken or worn lobes on cam shaft. If not borken, check valve clearance on cyl 3 & 4. If clearance is good, rebuild carb.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
To: jimlichter@aol.com
Sent: Fri, Apr 9, 2010 6:52 pm

I have a 1300 in a customers car,( he reads these emails)
The SU carb next to the fire wall has no intake draft when you hold your hand over it.
when you hold your hand over the one next to rad , lots of sucktion, stalls out motor.
I have taken intake off, all 4 intakes have the same suck, comp. in all cyl is 150. there is no blockage in intakes,, we are checking out the carb, but still does not explaine no suction on that side .
Anyone else ever run into this?
GORD,

I,m not a SU expert..never touched them so there at a experts now.

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Gord,

That's a known issue here with SU carbs, the damper piston will be stuck, it
may have no or the wrong oil in it. Undo the little black screw on top to
check. Sometimes it'll free up and be fine, sometimes it'll work for a while
but continue to cause grief until the point you give up, unbolt, and throw
it over the hedge !

Triumph changed to Stromberg carbs on the later 1300s probably because of
problems with SUs.

As John says, the Weber / Pierce solution works much better on 1300
Amphicars as the air intake is in the right place away from the muffler.

David C

Midwest Amphicar

I had dual SU's on another engine. When running good it ran great but.....Add steam/moisture and they would get gummy and sure enough the piston would stick. My 1300 has the Weber. John did you re-jet? *** ** off topic work on date for Ozarks. Later Dave

jfriese

Dave,

That Pierce/Weber setup was originally done for the 1500 but they say it works on the 1300 too. I used mine with stock jets for several years but felt that, particularly on one car, when the second barrel opened the engine seemed a bit starved for fuel. Also sometimes the engines hesitated a bit on acceleration. I talked to pierce about this and they suggested enlarging the pump jet and opening up the high speed jets a bit. Since the 1300 engine was smaller than the 1500 it seemed counter-intuitive to me but they said the 1500 had higher vacuum and thus larger jets might work better on a 1300. Since then I went one step larger on the pump jet and on the main jets. This involves replacing the single pump jet with the next larger size and moving the larger high speed jet from the primary bowl to the secondary bowl. Then install the next larger high speed jet in the primary bowl. I don't remember the exact jet sizes right now but I can look them up , with their part numbers, if you want them.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
I have a NOS weber sitting on the shelf that I have been wanting to try out on my 1500 (I think it is from a Ford Pinto).

Where can I find the adapter plate for between carb and intake manifold?

Thanks.

Mike

jfriese

Mike,

I use 1300 engines in my cars and the Pierce manifold made for the Triumph 1500/Weber DGV5A.

John

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
I must be having a senior moment. I do not have a 1500, I have the stock 1147. I think, at one point, someone on the list custom fabricated some adapters for the weber carbs between the carb and the stock manifold ???