Front Bumper Bracket Mounting???

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Are the Dubo washers and nuts to fasten the front bumper brackets to the body supposed to be on the inside our outside of vehicle? Manual shows them on outside, but last few Amphicars that I have looked at have them on inside of vehicle.
Thanks,
Ted Matthews

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Are the Dubo washers and nuts to fasten the front bumper brackets to the body supposed to be on the inside our outside of vehicle? Manual shows them on outside, but last few Amphicars that I have looked at have them on inside of vehicle.
Thanks,
Ted Matthews

Ted - The bolts come up from the outside thru the bracket and into the hull. Inside, place the dubo washer cup with the dubo washer inside and finally the nut. Tighten dow until the nut crushed the dubo washer into the cup for a water tight seal.

Tommy in Tampa

Amphicar Expert
Hi there, Yep They go on the inside. If they were on the outside water could still get behind them. That is between the bracket, the rubber pad and the hull.
Tommy in Tampa

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Thanks for the help. Just finished installing my front bumper(with the Dubo's on the inside). My car came in pieces, that's why I ask some of these silly questions!!
Ted

NO question for rebuilding an Amphicar is a 'silly question' & I think all of us who have rebuilt one would agree with me. I think we are sooooo lucky in our group to have many experts who are very willing (and glad to) to spend time on the phone & e-mail trying to help rebuild our precious pieces of history. I know my mechanic couldn't have put mine back together without the expertise of Gord Souter, Hugh Gordon, Dave the Wave, John Bevins, Rob Vondracek (sorry for the spelling), & many others that I can't even remember now after 2 years of restoration. Not one of the guys we called for help were EVER too busy to spend time trying to explain how to put pieces back together. We also have the manuals on our web site which is a fantastic oportunity. (We bought them anyway. It was much easier to work with them at one's side.)

I think we all have the same goal of helping to restore these amazing, "One of the Worst Cars", piece of history that has ever been invented. Again, I want to offer my sincere thanks to all of the above mentioned because I'm STILL calling them with crazy & stupid questions. But you know what? It's kept me from sinking, so far & THAT'S another of my goals.

Keep on asking those questions becuase you never know who it might help someone else. Just my 5 cents. Ina in the Boro
----- Original Message -----
To: ribcab@verizon.net
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2008 11:03 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20049] Re: Front Bumper Bracket Mounting???

Thanks for the help. Just finished installing my front bumper(with the Dubo's on the inside). My car came in pieces, that's why I ask some of these silly questions!!
Ted