Electric fuel pump

laserfixr

Has anyone installed an electric fuel pump on their Amphy? My engine appears to starve for fuel at high RPM's. This only happens when the engine is very warm, about 190 degrees on my temp guage on hot days. I installed Hugh's larger carb and it seems like the stock fuel pump can't supply enough fuel. It stumbles and misses at higher RPM's (4200), however if I back off on the throttle the problem goes away. I just installed all new Pertronix ignition with new everything else (rotor, distributor cap, new Pertronix coil, new spark plug wires) so I don't think the problem is electrical. Can anyone recommend a brand and model nmber of a good electric pump? Do you think my stock one has a hole in the rubber? How would I check the stock fuel pump to make sure it is good? Thanks.

Steve Sell
West Palm Beach, Fl.
'66 Red/White

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
Steve, its a Florida problem. When I was down there in April, I was traveling on I 4 towards Tampa and same thing happened to me, I had a fuel pump with me and installed it on side of road,, no change. Had a coil. no change.
Stopped in a hardware and bought copper pipe insulation and wraped the fuel lines. twist tie it on... No problems since,, Gas was boiling in the line from pump to carb.. give it a try,, easy fix
GORD
Canadian 4 amphs

LAH20CAR

Yep, I bet Gord is right

Too much heat, I have an electric pump but only as a back for if the car has not run in a while, I use it too prime the carb and regular pump----to much pressure is as bad as not enough, there are two types, round with a clamp and hose fittings on each end and a square type with a mounting pad made onto it. I had the round type go bad twice on something else and no problems with the square type-----

If your engine pump goes out--- first thing is no fuel or if it goes slowly with an internal leak you will see a rise in oil level---- dilution from the extra gas in crankcase

You may have a fuel filter getting slow to flow at high power:eek:

S

SplitPersonality

Hi Steve
Ever since I had a problem with my mechanical pump on the Split
Perswonality, I installed an electrical inline pump about 7 years ago and have had no
problems of any kind since. I don't think you should need a very high volume of
fuel - probably 3-5 lbs I would think. Anyway, my engine and carb are stock
and I have had no problems in 7 years. I was having fuel starvation problems
and took the carb apart, but could not find the problem. At any rate, I put
the electric pump on and have had no problems ever since. I do know, though,
that when you go an auto parts house, the first thing they want to know is the
make, model, year and etc. for the stock replacement which of course there is
no such animal. Pumps can run anywhere from about $40 on up, but the one I
put on is a very simple one which cost I think about $40 - $50. However, I can
look to see if I have any paperwork or whatever on my pump, but I may come
up dry. Let me know. The biggest problem nowadays, I would say, is to get a
pump that will handle modern fuels without components which will soften or
disintegrate in the modern fuels, especially since most now have ethanol. I
recently, in a 6 volt application which is much tougher to find electric pumps
for, had a pump give up the ghost and when I removed it and opened it up, the
diaphragm had essentially been dissolved by the fuel. Not all pumps have such
diaphragms, and I think the more expensive ones have a centrifugal pump
which is not affected, but they can get pretty pricey. In the case of our
engines, we don't need a very high volume pump or anything very tricky such as a
race car might require. Vic

**************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

Amphicarbudd

you might consider installing an auxillary electric fan with thermostat as your overheating problem is causing the vapor lock on your gas flow. an electric fuel pump is a good idea but heat dissipation in your warm climate is the propblem--------------the electric fan solved this propblem for me and only activates when the temperature requires additional cooling:)

sdreich

Hi-

I installed a low pressure (3-5 psi) electric fuel pump in line with the original mechanical pump. Made for easier starting and had fewer vapor lock problems. I still stall on hot days and it takes 20+ minutes to cool down and restart, so I will insulate the fuel lines.

Most important thing is to get a positive ground pump if you still have a positive ground car. I burned up two pumps that were not positive ground rated. I ended up spending big bucks for a positive ground pump from Moss Motors, but have had no problems with it.

-Steve
Del Mar, CA

'64 red (AMPHICR) still in pieces
'64 red (I SWIM 2)

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
A lot of cars built in the late 70's and early 80's started having a small return line taking excess fuel(and vaporized fuel) from next to the carburetor back to the fuel tank. I've installed something similar on a 1965 Mustang that had vapor locking problems, and it solved the problem.
My Amphicar isn't near the point of completion, or I'd experiment with a return line. It's plenty hot in Texas now to test one out. Maybe one of the experts could figure out a set-up.
Ted Matthews

On the vapor lock problem, Mike Bayman put 4 wooden cloths pins on my fuel line 3 years ago and I have never had the vapor lock problem since.
Larry
White 66 in Ohio

----- Original Message ----
To: larrydepasquale@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, June 6, 2008 11:49:38 AM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20033] Re: Electric fuel pump

Hi-

I installed a low pressure (3-5 psi) electric fuel pump in line with the original mechanical pump. Made for easier starting and had fewer vapor lock problems. I still stall on hot days and it takes 20+ minutes to cool down and restart, so I will insulate the fuel lines.

Most important thing is to get a positive ground pump if you still have a positive ground car. I burned up two pumps that were not positive ground rated. I ended up spending big bucks for a positive ground pump from Moss Motors, but have had no problems with it.

-Steve
Del Mar, CA

'64 red (I SWIM 2)

laserfixr

If you decide to install an electric fuel pump should it be installed before or after the stock pump and why? Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

scottamphi

I use an electric fuel pump, the line goes directly to the carburator once it reaches the engine compartment.&nbsp;&nbsp;Eliminating routing around the engine vapor lock problems.
Routing an electric pump in line with the original as stated in a post from Steve could fill the crankcase with gas if the mechanical pump failed!!!
&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Scottamphi in NC

--- On Sat, 6/7/08, Larry DePasquale &lt;&gt; wrote:

To: scottamphi@yahoo.com
Date: Saturday, June 7, 2008, 9:04 AM

On the vapor lock problem, Mike Bayman put 4 wooden cloths pins on my fuel line 3 years ago and I have never had the vapor lock problem since.
Larry
White 66 in Ohio

----- Original Message ----
To: larrydepasquale@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, June 6, 2008 11:49:38 AM

Hi-

-Steve
Del Mar, CA

'64 red (I SWIM 2)