Electric Fuel Pump Placement

laserfixr

Hi Folks,
I just received my low pressure 3 psi fuel pump and was wondering where the best place to mount it? Should it be up by the gas tank or back by the carb? Is it ok to push gas thru the mechanical pump or if the diaphram breaks will it fill the oil pan with gas. I am having what I think is vapor lock here in Florida and I hope this will fix the problem. I have already insulated the fuel line but that did not help. On hot days above 93F, if I sit at a red light for a while, the engine will run very rough and almost die. As soon as I start moving the problem goes away. Thanks in advance for all your help.

S

SplitPersonality

Hi Steve

I had a fuel problem 5 or 6 years ago and installed a 3 psi electric fuel
pump right junder the fuel tank and left the mechanical pump in line. I have not
had the first problem since. When I have not started the car in a week or
so, I turn on the ignition switch which activates the electric pump and give it
about 30 seconds, hit the accellerator a couple of times and it fires right
up. I highly recommend the small electric pump for reliability, as a back up
for the mechanical though mine is on full time, and to prime the carb if it
has not been started recently. I have electric pumps on several antique cars
and though on most, I have switch and only use the pump to prime the carb,
the addition of such a pump has certainly made life easier.

Ideally, the pump should be near the tank and push the fuel which also
eliminates the possibility of vapor lock completely. However, on a 1948 Ford ( My
woodie which you've seen at Lake Dora ) I have the pump next to the engine,
so it must suck the fuel to prime the carb. It has only been there now for
about 10 years and still works great ! The car starts usually in 2-3 seconds
even after several weeks.

Vic ( Capt. Splash )
Nelson with the Split Personality

**************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel
deal here.
(http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Hi Folks,
I just received my low pressure 3 psi fuel pump and was wondering where the best place to mount it? Should it be up by the gas tank or back by the carb? Is it ok to push gas thru the mechanical pump or if the diaphram breaks will it fill the oil pan with gas. I am having what I think is vapor lock here in Florida and I hope this will fix the problem. I have already insulated the fuel line but that did not help. On hot days above 93F, if I sit at a red light for a while, the engine will run very rough and almost die. As soon as I start moving the problem goes away. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Steve - It should be near the tank as it is a "pusher" pump. I have a hidden switch to operate my electric only when needed and not constantly. Either way is fine, it's your preferance. It will not hurt your mechanical pump, nor will it puke gas if the mech pump's diaphram has a hole. It will pump it thru to your carb. Make sure it's on it's own circut with a fuse.