classifieds

Dale B

Mike,

How does the bidding work? Is it like ebay, where you put in the highest amount you want to spend and it will increment up to that amount based on other bids?

Thanks,

Dale B

To: sni_island@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19996] Re: classifiedsDate: Sun, 11 May 2008 11:14:53 -0400From:

Direct link to Tom's carb is:Auction Amphi carb - Welcome to The Amphicar Lovers Digest / ForumFeel free to list your other amphicar items for sale. There is no charge for auctions or classifieds and the service is PayPal enabled.

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
>> How does the bidding work? Is it like ebay, where you put in the highest amount you want to spend and it will increment up to that
>> amount based on other bids?
Good question.* I do not know the answer off hand.* I have thus just created a dummy test auction.* Feel free to bid on it and see if it puts in your full amount or if it increments.* Winner will not owe anything unless it is Dave!* Thanks.

amphi_sc

The bid was at 121, I bid a max of 147.28 and it went immediately to that amount. I wonder what the previous max was? or if it just took my max and made it that?. Perhaps the next bidder can verify how it works by placing a max bid a good distance above the next minimum as mine is maxed out and thus on eBay, wouldn't cause the next to be any higher than needed. I have my suspicions here.

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
I was the bidder at $121.00 and had nothing higher entered. Apparently the bid you enter is the bid, with no automatic incremental bidding like ebay.
Ted
----- Original Message -----
To: mattted@swbell.net
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:34 AM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19996] Re: classifieds

The bid was at 121, I bid a max of 147.28 and it went immediately to that amount. I wonder what the previous max was? or if it just took my max and made it that?. Perhaps the next bidder can verify how it works by placing a max bid a good distance above the next minimum as mine is maxed out and thus on eBay, wouldn't cause the next to be any higher than needed. I have my suspicions here.

Dale B

I put in a bid of $200 and it went to 160.99? I purchased a carburetor yesterday and it seems to work like ebay.

Dale B

To: sni_island@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19996] Re: classifiedsDate: Tue, 13 May 2008 11:17:08 -0400From:

I was the bidder at $121.00 and had nothing higher entered. Apparently the bid you enter is the bid, with no automatic incremental bidding like ebay.Ted----- Original Message ----- From: amphi_sc To: mattted@swbell.net Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:34 AMSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19996] Re: classifiedsThe bid was at 121, I bid a max of 147.28 and it went immediately to that amount. I wonder what the previous max was? or if it just took my max and made it that?. Perhaps the next bidder can verify how it works by placing a max bid a good distance above the next minimum as mine is maxed out and thus on eBay, wouldn't cause the next to be any higher than needed. I have my suspicions here.

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
After doing some digging it seems to work as follows, pretty much like eBay.
1)* Lets say reserve is set at $100
2)* If bidder #1 bids $5 it will go to $5
3)* If bidder #2 bids $100 it will go to $100 thus meeting the reserve.
4)* Now that reserve is met, if bidder #3 now bids $200 it will increment by smaller amounts (i.e. $205)
5)* If bidder #2 now increases his bid to $175 it will go to that full amount but he will also automatically be outbid by #3 who previously put a higher amount.
Mike

amphi_sc

I think I must have misread the screen earlier as it IS working like eBay now. Dale was high bidder at 160.99 having beat amphigator at 159.99 but with a limit of 200. I entered a max bid of 186.12 and that drove Dale's bid up to meet my max of 186.12. Dale's max bid was 200 and predated my 186.12, so Dale was still high. I entered a new max of 209.12 and that drove it to 201 with me as the high bidder now as I over bid Dales' 200 max by the 1 dollar. So, any bid up to 209.12 should drive my bid up and maintain me as the winner. So, would a max bid of 209.20 outbid me as it is above my max, but not above the next increment above my max? i.e. would it take a real bid of 210.12 to beat me even if a bid 209.20 is above my max?

PS... thanks for the play auction. This is very educational.

Good question.* I do not know the answer off hand.* I have thus just created a dummy test auction.* Feel free to bid on it and see if it puts in your full amount or if it increments.* Winner will not owe anything unless it is Dave!* Thanks.
I bid 1002.34 and auction price went up 1 dollar to be top bidder. Amphigr66n.

amphi_sc

Interesting, with your max bid of 1002.34, I placed a max bid just 6 cents higher... at 1002.40. It made me the current high bidder, but with a price greater than my max bid! Current Bid: 1012.34 but that is above my maximum bid of 1002.40. The next minimum bid is 1022.34 which kinda makes sense, but I didn't bid 1012.34, only up to 1002.40. So I guess the max bid that you place might really be less than the max you might end up having to pay. Or stated another way, you may wind up paying more than you bargained for. It may round it up to the next bid increment for you automatically (I guess assuming I wanted to win), even if that is above your max you set. i.e. my max of 1002.40 was the high bid, but not high enough for the bid increment of 10 dollars. Interesting....